PDA

View Full Version : Paint Questions

hancadam
02-08-2006, 10:28 PM
What kind of paint do you guys use on your frames? Also what paint is best for a gas tank, that won't run due to gas? Thanks for all your help guys.

kloby
02-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Powder Coat ?

Yamahauler
02-08-2006, 10:36 PM
What kind of tank is it?
If its a metal Honda tank, you can use regular automotive paint, Powder will work as well.

Hey kloby..looks like you got yourself a custom title already :lol:

kloby
02-08-2006, 10:42 PM
I know. How did that happen? :wondering

hancadam
02-08-2006, 10:42 PM
When you say powder, is that something you can buy and do yourself? If so, where is it availible. Yes, it is a metal 200x tank. Thanks, Adam.

Yamahauler
02-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Maybe its because thats the most posts/day anyone has ever seen :lol:

kloby
02-08-2006, 10:43 PM
I would highly suggest letting a paint shop do it. - nodz -

kloby
02-08-2006, 10:44 PM
What can I say? I LOVE riding. And trikes are the BOMB! :p Nothing i would rather talk about

Yamahauler
02-08-2006, 10:47 PM
When you say powder, is that something you can buy and do yourself? If so, where is it availible. Yes, it is a metal 200x tank. Thanks, Adam.
You can do powdercoating yourself, but you'd need over $100 in equiptment at the very least, this is for a real cheap powder gun.

Powdercoating is basically just a dry powder that you spray out of a special gun, when the powder goes through the gun it gives it a positive charge (i think its positive) and you give a negative charge (i think its negative) to the tank, using the negative cable that goes with the powdering kit.

The powder then sticks to the tank and you bake it in an oven for a while and it comes out rock hard, stronger than paint.

Your best bet, though, is to find a powdercoat shop in your area to do it for you. Or just paint it;)

hancadam
02-08-2006, 10:52 PM
So just use auto paint for the tank? It is gas resistant? Thanks again guys. Also I have to do this myself. I don't have the money to send to a pint shop. I filled and painted the tank already, but gas ruined the paint. It looked really nice until then.

Yamahauler
02-08-2006, 10:55 PM
What kind of paint did you use?
I know some will disagree, but you wont have much luck with spray paint.
I dont think you'll get great results without a professional doing it.

kloby
02-08-2006, 10:56 PM
No, I don't beleive it will be gas resistant. But will be better than the paint you can buy from Vatozone ( Autozone )

Yamahauler
02-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Auto paint, professionally sprayed, should be gas resistant to an extent, look at paint on cars, you can spill gas on it and it wont peel off, it might yellow after a while if you dont clean it off.

Tri-ZNate
02-08-2006, 10:59 PM
I have spray painted my gas tanks twice now. The first time I didnt use a clear coat and it went all to hell with the gas, then this last coat I used a clear coat on top and it has held up real well. Spilled gas on it several times now and no side effects yet.

hancadam
02-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks, I will use auto paint. I used normal sray paint with a clear coat last time. It wasn't pretty once the gas hit it.

Dave223
02-08-2006, 11:06 PM
If your going white, there is a spray paint available at Lowes an Home Depot that is used to repaint appliances. I cant remember the name or the brand off hand, but I have used it on my 250sx an my sons 70 with really good results. I will look into it more if your interested, Dave

kloby
02-08-2006, 11:08 PM
If your going white, there is a spray paint available at Lowes an Home Depot that is used to repaint appliances. I cant remember the name or the brand off hand, but I have used it on my 250sx an my sons 70 with really good results. I will look into it more if your interested, Dave

The paint your talking about only comes in white ? :wondering

J Ipock
02-08-2006, 11:14 PM
If you want one already painted, I'll sell you mine, (parting out trike on another thread) fresh basecoat clearcoat, only needs the honda decal to be complete. $50.00 shipped to you. If your interested, send me an E-mail and I'll get you some pic's.

Thanks,

Joey
jipock@houston.rr.com

hancadam
02-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. Mine looks perfect except where the gas made the paint run. The appliance paint sounds real promising. I love this forum. You guys are very fast to respond.

kloby
02-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Thanks, I will use auto paint. I used normal sray paint with a clear coat last time. It wasn't pretty once the gas hit it.

Sounds good to me. Good luck, and post some pics of it ASAP! :p

hancadam
02-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Sounds good to me. Good luck, and post some pics of it ASAP! :p
Will do. I just ordered some new decals and scoops for it. Have you guys seen the new tank scoops that Denniskirk has for the 200x. I like them.

kloby
02-08-2006, 11:41 PM
Yes, I think they are very nice. Two thumbs up from me ( not saying much ) :lol:

Dave223
02-09-2006, 09:07 PM
The paint your talking about only comes in white ? :wondering

from what Ive seen it comes in almond , white, and black....how many red stoves and fridges have you seen?:naughty:

kloby
02-09-2006, 11:12 PM
this is true. :lol:

breastman569
02-10-2006, 10:51 AM
just to let you know that the auto paint is all gas proof as long as its a urathane and just make sure you let it dry. hope that helps.

hancadam
02-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Yes it does beastman, Thanks.

ATCT
02-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Will places powder coat a gas tank? I thought they wouldn't based on the possiblility of leftover gas in the tank. Maybe not though.

DaMadman
02-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Sand all the old paint off and clean ALLLLLLLL the gas out of the tank, you can dump the gas out and rinse the tank with alcohol, or GUNK FOAMY ENGIN BRITE or any kind of Degreaser and then use dish soap and water MAKE SURE IT IS CLEAN OF ALL GASOLINE AND GASOLNE RESIDUE OR FUMES and let it sit a couple days. Spray the tank with a good primer, MAKE SURE there is no gas smell to the tank and put it in the oven on low heat down around 200 bake the primer for a couple hours and turn the oven off let it cool, then get some auto touchup paint and repeat the process.

Just a word of warning I am not telling anyone to put a gas soaked fuming gas tank in an oven and bake it. It is very important that there is NO, NONE NADA, gas smell to the tank at all to do this.

Anyway if you spray and bake the paint at low temp (around 200 ) when your done it it should stand up to a little gas spill without ruining the paint.

I learned this from refinishing old mil-surplus handguns

Bigred200
02-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Well there used to be green and orange stoves in the 70'S......lol

kloby
02-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Yeah, make double sure you have no gas or gas fumes in the tank before you powder coat. Fumes are more flammable than gas itself. If not, you will probablly be out of a gas tank. :lol: