PDA

View Full Version : another KX500 conversion??

tecatemantodd
02-07-2006, 04:06 PM
I guess I'd better just start my own thread..instead of hijacking everyone elses. I did a bigbore, carb and extended swingarm on my 86T3 last year and just want more.... I keep seeing the KX500 threads and it just makes me salivate thinking about the swap. I do have the necessary tools and skills for the job. I have a few questions that I couldn't find answers to in the searches I have done.
Is there a certain year of KX500 that would be the best donor? As far as motor mounts/dimensions and power? I am assuming some beefing up of the frame will need to be done and a custom pipe will need to be built too, but what frame mods are necessary?
If I were to decide to do this, I would most likely raise the capital for the 500 by selling my Tecate motor. I have the LA Sleeve 285cc bigbore installed, some portwork has been done, all new bearings were installed prior to bigbore too. I also installed a Airstriker 38mm carb from Sudco. I have a DG( better than nothing) pipe and silencer too. As far as the cosmetics, I painted the sidecases black and then polished out the raised letters on either side. I partially polished the rest of it to clean it up too. I am curious what kind of $$ a Tecate motor like this would bring.
Oh and what electronics need to be swapped? I am assuming the 250 cdi and related parts won't work with the 500 here.....
THanks in advance everyone....Todd

3Razors
02-07-2006, 04:28 PM
89 and up motors are the best to use.