PDA

View Full Version : TRI Z recalls

YTZ250N
03-05-2003, 02:09 AM
I was bored at work at pulled up the parts fische for the Z and read the service bulletin at the bottom. Aparently Yamaha had some problems with the Z (85 only) running in cold weather. They had a list of things a tech should replace if anyone brought them in for the recall. They had an updated headlight housing with less air vents in it along with a front fender and they removed the little breather line to the air intake from the carb and lengthened it up towards the airbox. there was even somthing in there about drilling out the main jet with a #4 drill or somthin like that. those are some of the things that are different from the 85 to 86. They also had a part about the diaphrams in the fuel pump leaking and how to go about replaceing just the diaphrams cuz I guess before they made the dealers replace the whole fuel pump. They even had written in how many hours you could claim for each warranty repair. I wonder how one of those fische things would scan with a scanner? I just thought it was a little bit of good reading. Another thing is Yamaha is the only manufacture I have found to put all the jetting specs and optional equipment part #'s on their fische in the service data section. The fische have proved to be very helpful on a couple of machines I had to work on in the shop for customers.

Wickedfinger
03-05-2003, 04:44 PM
... I had (sold it w/ my Z's) an original, dealer shop manual with all of the service bulletins you mentioned as well as a few more. One of the ones I found most interesting was one that was dated from late 1987 (which is weird in itself) regarding possible fire hazards involving the same leaking fuel pump diaphragm as well as another one involving a weakened muffler tab and the fuel tank. I have quite a few original service bulletins with the various shop manuals - including the now classic one from Honda involving putting a thinner CR head gasket on the '86 ATC250R to obstensively get rid of a low octane "Pinging" problem, but the reality of it was a 2 hp increase because of tightened compression. I love reading the old service sheets - they give you a real good insight into what was going on at the time - good stuff.