PDA

View Full Version : May have brake problems...

Derrick Adams
02-05-2006, 12:59 PM
When I changed the pads on the rear brake caliper, on the 250R, I used vise grips to squeeze the pistons back in. Both went CRUNCH in the middles before I even realized it happened. Are these pistons supposed to be solid steel on the ends? Will brake fluid come out the pistons now or will they be alright?
I see BikeBandit lists new pistons for around $20 each. and seals for around $3 each. So I shoud be able to rebuild it for around $50 or so.

TimSr
02-05-2006, 01:23 PM
I did the same thing on my R. They are not solid, and you need to always cover them with an old brake pad when squeezing. A C-Clamp works best. If you punched all theway through, they will need replaced. If they are just indented, they will still work fine.

Jason Hall
02-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Derrick there are little pucks that fit into the center of the pistons. They are made out of some kind of plastic or fiber material. The pistons are real thick under the pucks, so you really cant hurt the piston unless you scarf up the sides. Make sure the pins the calipar floats on are free, or your brakes will drag like a big dog.