PDA

View Full Version : Lightened flywheel vs. CR ignition upgrade on 250R?

Derrick Adams
02-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Do you think it's worth the money for the CR ignition system? I was thinking of buying a flywheel and having it lightened, but then I thought maybe I should just go to the CR ignition system all together. I know i'll loose the lights but I never use them anyhow.

I can get the whole set-up from ESR for $550 or maybe pick up a complete used set-up off ebay.

So I guess the question is, does the performance come from the flywheel or the timing?

gasmask
02-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Do you think it's worth the money for the CR ignition system? I was thinking of buying a flywheel and having it lightened, but then I thought maybe I should just go to the CR ignition system all together. I know i'll loose the lights but I never use them anyhow.

I can get the whole set-up from ESR for $550 or maybe pick up a complete used set-up off ebay.

So I guess the question is, does the performance come from the flywheel or the timing?
i bought the stator backing plate from esr. got a cr 250 ign. off ebay for 175.00... i have no problems my ign. system

ChrisD
02-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Short response.....go to the bottom of this message.

It depends on what you want. If you use CR, MSD, PVL, etc......no more lights. If you just race this bike, then fine, but usually most motor builders don't recommend a new ignition system unless you have a big bore motor or run alcohol (or want to sell you something).

I run a PVL on my race bike. It eliminates the flywheel and replaces it with a much smaller weght. HOwever, I ONLY ice race this motor. To you queston about shaving your flywheel: you will lose torque, but your motor will spin faster. If you do a lot of woods riding, you may consider ADDING weight to your flywheel. My woods bike has the stock flywheel and I have no complaints.

Is it worth the investment.?...?...? On a stock bore motor without nitrous or methanol. No!

Spend the $500 on a clutch (cronic problem on the R), reeds, milling the head and a pipe. If you have done this already...take your wife or girlfriend (not both) out to dinner and build up some "points" so you can go riding when you want.

Derrick Adams
02-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Short response.....go to the bottom of this message.

It depends on what you want. If you use CR, MSD, PVL, etc......no more lights. If you just race this bike, then fine, but usually most motor builders don't recommend a new ignition system unless you have a big bore motor or run alcohol (or want to sell you something).

I run a PVL on my race bike. It eliminates the flywheel and replaces it with a much smaller weght. HOwever, I ONLY ice race this motor. To you queston about shaving your flywheel: you will lose torque, but your motor will spin faster. If you do a lot of woods riding, you may consider ADDING weight to your flywheel. My woods bike has the stock flywheel and I have no complaints.

Is it worth the investment.?...?...? On a stock bore motor without nitrous or methanol. No!

Spend the $500 on a clutch (cronic problem on the R), reeds, milling the head and a pipe. If you have done this already...take your wife or girlfriend (not both) out to dinner and build up some "points" so you can go riding when you want.

Chris.. you da man! LOL
Got all the other stuff. I think i'll just get another flywheel and lighten it, then try it.

Thanks guys!

CHAINSAW
02-05-2006, 01:05 PM
I had the ESR CR upgrade on my 85 R, and that was the best mod I could of ever gotten. It made the throttle response punch, instead of a smooth gradual encline. Chris is right about the trail riding part.. if your gonna use your machine half throttle and putt around, then no this isnt the mod for you. If you ride like me, dunes and full throttle for hours at a time, this mod will knock your socks off. Im gonna disagree with Chris on the "only for race motors" mod, because I dont have a stock ignition on any of my trikes, and they are all mostly stock.

gasmask did it the right way though. Just buy the adapter plate from ESR, and buy the rest of the ignition off ebay or somewhere else. Thats all the ESR kit is, is packaged Honda parts, with their adapter. You will save a lot of money doing a little searching. I wish someone would of let me know that.. oh well. It was worth every penny spent when I put it on.

kloby
02-05-2006, 01:12 PM
I also use the CR ignition system on my R, was also one of the best upgrades I have done to my R. hope it helps :)

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-05-2006, 07:12 PM
i tried the lighter flywheel on thetri-z, it makes a difference over a stock flywheel, but since i got a motoplat (pvl) for my z it made a world of difference in power over a cut flywheel, yeah you do loose a little tourque, but the motor revs so much faster from idle you dont pay much attention to this, the problem is it would spin the turf tammers way too much. i now use yzf450 tires and its harder to keep the front end down, im lookin at one for the lt500r now, i will never go back to a cut flywheel after switching to pvl on the shee and tri-z

deathman53
02-05-2006, 08:19 PM
I have a cr on my atc too, best thing I ever got, DEFINETLY not for trail riding. with the 310pv, 39 pwk, cr reeds, paul turner pipe, this motor absotely screams. it takes the hesitation from the ingition and no more flat spot in the middle, like all the 250r's, I and my friends have. Lights aren't too important to me, I have one on my 200x, but that will be coming off soon, along with the switch and stuff. Running mx, lights are something to get broke.