PDA

View Full Version : T3 project... update 6/3.. w/ fullsize pictures

MIK6
02-04-2006, 11:23 PM
I decided its time to get into my old faithfull 87 T3. It has been to every TF, 02 till last year. I put new crank seals a few years ago, and thats it since the first rebuild. Last year it ran fine when I loaded it on the trailor at home but when I got to TF it would not fire, found a few bad wires in the harness, runs great again.
Here is a link to the first rebuild back in 2000. http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Chip/2489/mik6.html
I got a dremel for X-mas and thought I'd try polishing, 1 part led to 2 and so on... Who knows what it will look like when I'm done. I have a few shots from my cel phone to show the start of the project.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK
MIK6 / Mike

smokinp
02-05-2006, 12:27 AM
thats going to be nice when its finished....did you find the poilishing hard to do?

BigGreenMachine
02-05-2006, 01:39 AM
Wow! That trike is going to look amazing. What else you have planned for it?

MIK6
02-05-2006, 02:09 AM
I am going to use all the plastics from the first build. I have a + 4 axle, not in great shape but I will see what I can do w/ it. I will be polishing the trip trees, fork legs, motor mounts and swinger. All of the misc parts (pegs,kicker, shifter, ect..) will be lime. The motor case 1/2s will be black, w/ a stainless bolt kit for the polished alum. I have a NEW set of stock brake calipers. I have a new set of 10 rims w/ 18in fast trekers. I am only looking for an extended rear brake line, I will be running a gold CrazyG swingarm extender. I plan on putting "MIK" on the left side of the # plate up and down and a big "6" on the rt side, in the same blue as the frame.
This will be a rider, I am not easy on it. I have told people that take it for a ride that "they were to easy on it, go back and ride it ALOT harder". TRIKE runs it at the TF drags (if I have had a few to many beers LOL) w/ the agreement he will blow it up for the win if the race is close.

MIK6 / Mike

90nut
02-05-2006, 02:49 AM
Wow. looks a bit different than when I saw it last year at TF. I was looking at her but she didn't run. Can't wait to see it in person this year.

MIK6
02-07-2006, 12:07 AM
The T3 rebuild is on hold for a few weeks. Heading to Maryland for work for the next 5/6 weeks, working at a Nuke plant 7 12s. I am bringing a few parts and the stuff for polishing. I will have the trips and swinger ready for when I get home. Everything else is cleaned and painted or polished and ready for reassembly. I can't wait til its done. I am still looking for a stainless bolt kit for the motor and a +5in rear brake line, if anyone knows how to get either let me know.
I know this will be close for TF06. When I get back from Maryland I go rite back to another plant here for another 6 week shutdown. I still have confidence it will be ready.

WISH ME LUCK
MIK6 / Mike

kloby
02-07-2006, 12:32 AM
Good lucky, and happy building, post finished pics of that beauty ASAP! :)

smokinp
02-07-2006, 01:07 AM
yes...keep us posted....:twisted:

Kintore
02-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Looks awesome Mike! Cant wait to see the finished product. I remember you sent me those pics via email and I was drooling. Any chance I could take her out for spin?:naughty:
Just kidding!:beer

MIK6
02-08-2006, 12:43 AM
I got to the hotel, got the laptop up and running. I did bring a few parts to work on, it WILL be at TF06!!
Kintore... Of course you can take it for a ride. Just don't brake a radiator scoop LOL. You on it and your dad on the P700 and both of you will be sporting the rite color LMAO.

MIK6 / Mike

Tecate250
02-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Hey Mik6. Great to see that you are still into Tecates. My 85 is or was working Great till my ricky stator flew apart.

MIK6
02-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Well I might have to throw the motor in my 86 roller in order to bring it to TF06. I am still in Maryland working a shutdown, I have a 2nd one set up for the 1st week in March and now a 3rd set to start in New Jersey on the 1st of April. I will be out of town for the most of that time and will be working at least 6 12s a week w/ some 7 12s thrown in. It will be a good cash few months but no garage time to get the T3 finnished. I do have the swinger w/ me pollishing it durring my spare time, when ever that is LOL.

MIK6 / Mike

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-23-2006, 08:44 PM
i always wondered why you never rode the 3 at tf.thought it didnt run, where in maryland are you?? you might be a skip and a jump from me!:lol:

MIK6
02-23-2006, 08:57 PM
At TF05,.... I drove it onto the trailor at home, took it to the car wash w/ the other ATVs to wash them, strapped them down and headed to HASPIN. When I got to HASPIN it would not start, I found the wire to the coil unhooked / broke, I also found the harness plug messed up. Alittle wireing work and it is all set.
I am working at Calvert Cliffs Nuke plant. Staying in Lexington Park Maryland. I have tonite off then work 6 12s (6pm-6am) till next Thursday nite. If your close PM me your #, Im awake and bored.

MIK6 / Mike

3WheelsForever
02-23-2006, 11:35 PM
Looking great Mike! We may have to trade rides for a little while at TF06.

MIK6
03-19-2006, 10:46 PM
a few more phone cam picts,... I haven't had the time latelly to work on it but I have a real good start on it. That is a crazy G extender on it, I am looking to get a longet brake line made up, any help would be great.

MIK6 / Mike

Kintore
03-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Cant wait to take it for a spin Mike! :w00t:

Think itll keep up to my Z? Looking good, more pics that are bigger. Those are like the size of a ticks but. Big pics are the way to go!

MIK6
03-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Phone picts only rite now. I have a card of picts on the digi cam for after its 100% finnished.
It will keep everyone guessing LOL.

MIK6 / Mike

old honda dealr
03-19-2006, 11:45 PM
That thing is gonna be awesome when it gets done. If you need some NOS plastics let me know. I have 2 more set of rear fenders and some left side shrouds. Also I can still get the front fender. Hope mine turns out as well as that one looks.

blown355nova
03-20-2006, 01:01 AM
could any of you tecate guys help me with mine?

Billy Golightly
03-20-2006, 01:06 AM
Mike try using a front brake line to act as an extende rear.

MIK6
05-19-2006, 05:28 PM
I think I have a good shot at having the T3 for TF06.
Most of my parts are here, the needed parts came today. All the bearings and seals for the motor and the chassis are in. I have polished the triple trees, cleaned up the legs, painted the rest of the misc parts. A new stainless bolt kit came yesterday along w/ my DK order. Everything is preped, painted or polished and ready for reassembly. I have the tank at an apolstery(sp) shop getting a lime green tank cover made, pick it up on Monday. This week I will take the motor apart and look into using the bigbore jug I have here, I waited on the motor work incase I could not get the bearings / seals needed. I didn't want to take apart a running motor w/o the needed parts. The condition of stock nickicyl coating will determine if i use the stock bore or not. The bigbore is sleved and will need alot of port work, but either way I have a better shot at finishing it now!!!

I am not going to put new plactics on it at this time I am going to run what I have. They are not in to bad of shape.
This T3 was a basket case when I picked it up, 84 front end, 85 rear, no plastics, missing alot of part,.. ect. It took me 3 years to get all the parts for it and build it the first time. I am fixing the parts I have, polishing 20 year old junkyard parts is not easy LOL. It should be an eye turner whan I'm done.

The only real concern is the rear brake line. I have not found a place that makes lines around here. HAGEN is sending me a line from Germany to fit the swinger extender, I just hope it makes it here on time. If need be I could take off the extender and run the stock set up, I am using a complete new rear brake system for it.
Picts will fallow as it goes together.

WISH ME LUCK
MIK6 / Mike

Billy Golightly
05-27-2006, 11:55 PM
Heres your teaser pictures mike!

Bryan Raffa
05-28-2006, 12:33 AM
oooh la la! shes going to be sweet!

MIK6
05-29-2006, 02:11 AM
THANKS for posting the teaser picts BILLY!!! I have a camera full of picts once its done. The picts posted so far are from my cel phone.

UPDATE 5/29..
The motor gave me fits, pulled the jug for new rings and found I had broke a ring, wedged the piston and KILLED the jug. SO I pulled the bigbore apart and found its jug was JUNK too. Went to the parts shelf pulled the 4 spare jugs off the shelf and took the best 1 to a shop near by. He said it should be OK, not great but OK, BUT... I DO HAVE A 87 T3 TOP END IN THE BACK ROOM 100% READY TO GO!!! Its a takeoff w/ LOW hours on it, never touched STOCk jug. Its now on the T3. The OK top end is on the 86 (use to be the bigbore) now.
I have the chassis complete, front end is complete, motor is in and wired, radiators on, carb and airbox in, swinger and linkages in. Tomarrow I get the axle/ carrior in and get the chain cut, fill the fluids and try to get it to start. Once it runs I will get the tank cover on and get the plastics on. Then I am only waiting on the rear brake line, I found a place that will make me a line if my German parts do not make it on time. IF IT STARTS it WILL be at TF06!!!!

WISH ME LUCK
MIK6 / Mike

Billy Golightly
05-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Heres some more pictures.

scooterroo
05-29-2006, 07:11 PM
i think i am in love

BigGreenMachine
05-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Oh thats beautiful. Going to be a rider correct?

MIK6
05-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Ya, its a rider!! I won't ride it much here, trails are rutted up for the quads, But I will be on it at HASPIN and be running it on Tugg Hill once I get it registered.
It will not be the same beast it was in the past, Im running a stock jug now and I don't want to port it. I will be building a stock motor and using the top end of it for the 86 T3 then putting a BUILT motor in this later on.

I got further today, I'm getting real close. I have the rear end complete now and sitting on 3 wheels!!! alot of the misc things are done on it. Tomarrow I will be getting the chain cut, filling the fluids and trying to start it. Once it runs plastics and controls will be all thats left. I have place to pick up a rear line at the end of the week in case my German parts are late.

MIK6 / Mike

Kintore
05-30-2006, 07:21 AM
Cutting it a tad fine arent we Mike? lol!

Cant wait to see her buddy, TF is only 6 days away for me!

Meat-BoX
05-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Looks good Mike. I was just curious where you got the rear brake line done so I can get one when I put on the +2" Cal-Fab. That wont be on for the fest but I did get the 01 Raptor shock on and its way better. I just dont like that I have the Bottle bungie corded to the swingarm. Just need to lock tight all the bolts and stuff and she should be good to go. I cant wait to see yours and have both of our Green machines lined up and looking good.
Mike I have a set of Aluminum rear Hub extenders Im not using right now, I think they are to thick. They are like 5" wide each. I was gonna use them but dont know how to set them up and dont want to ruin the hubs I have. Im looking for a machine shop so I can copy them but maybe at 3" thick each. Let me know if you want to borrow them if that rear axle doesnt work out.

MIK6
05-30-2006, 07:07 PM
THANKS for the offer Gary!! I have a +4 axle in it now It will be wide enuff for me for now. I hope to hear it run tonite. Wish me luck.

MIK6 / Mike

Howdy
05-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Mik6, I got my package from the Great Fabricator today ( I haven't opened it yet ). Do you need me to send a set to you Just in case? You have my number!!
Howdy

MIK6
05-31-2006, 12:27 AM
IT RUNS!!!! I put some fuel in it tonite, filled the fluids, and started to kick it. 3rd kick fired rite up!! Tomarrow I pick up a spare +5 brake line and a +10in chain, throw the plastics on and take it for a ride. I can't wait, it looks better than ever to me and it is awsome that I did ALL the polishing and painting and assembly! I am so happy w/ how it turned out. The only thing not 100% is that I am running 8 year old plastics, I will prob change them out over the winter. Full size pictures tomarrow or Thursday!!

MIK6 / Mike

scooterroo
05-31-2006, 08:35 AM
nice!!!!!!!!!!!cant wait to get a glimpse at it. bet shes sexy.

MIK6
06-03-2006, 01:11 AM
This is how it is going to look!! I have to take the tank back off and ad a few straps to the tank cover, then bolt everything back on. I love the blue tank cover, I did the patterning myself and a friend did the sewing. It will be 100% tomarrow, bolt the tank and rear fenders, adjust the bars and put new grips on.

I LOVE IT!!!
MIK6 / Mike

86waterpumper
06-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Looking good Mike! Can't wait to see it in person at tf

BigGreenMachine
06-03-2006, 01:23 AM
Trike of the Month right there!! GOLDEN!

What handlebars are those, what bend I mean?

cragster
06-03-2006, 02:31 AM
Those tires are fast trekkers? Right? I love them but i checked Denniskirk and they only make them for 10 inch rims and 8 inch rims. I have 9 inch rims. guess im SOL.. Are those 18's on 10 inch rims? I like how they look. But could they be inflated more? Would they still look sporty once they are full of air?

Kintore
06-03-2006, 07:14 AM
mmmmm Mike!

She looks SICK! Im kinda wanting to retract my previous statement of riding her, its too nice!

scooterroo
07-04-2006, 11:53 AM
damn my keyboard almost shorted out when i saw that thing, fuccin saweet mike. you did one hell of an awesme job on that bike. is that a tank cover or did you paint the tank? and that rear extension on the swinger....whered you get that from? i love the polishing work, a little bling on the green.

tmecars
07-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Hey Mik66
Awesome T3, man. Great work. Can you give me the details on your rear tires? Size, price, where purchased?
T

scooterroo
07-04-2006, 01:37 PM
look like titan fast trekkers too me, availible from titantires.com , the size looks like 18x10. not a bad price for them either, i think like 65 or in that range.

MIK6
07-04-2006, 06:49 PM
THANKS GUYS!!!! I love the way it turned out, thats why Im building my 86 to ba almost the same as it but w/o the extender, w/ 20in Fast Trekkers, and a headlight.

tmecars.. Yep Titan Fast Trekkers. They are 18X10X10s, I have them on my all my T3s.

scooterroo... I patterened the tank and a friend did the sewing, thats a MIK6 TANKCOVER!! I built it using blue boat canvas. I did 100% of the polishing. The swinger is a CRAZY G RACING bolt in extender. Hagen from Germany made it for me (greenboy on 3WW). He designed it and built it. It works GREAT, I love it.

Here is a few picts from TF06.

MIK6 / Mike