PDA

View Full Version : K&N or UNI??

nouseforaname90
02-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Well I FINALLY got the X today and began the tear-down!! I was so excited when I saw my uncle pulling in this morning. These things are massive.. it makes the Big Red and SX look like a toy!!
Well my question is, I bought a UNI air filter off of eBay because I expected this trike to come with a crappy air filter. Well it didn't. I took the airbox out and popped it open, and there was a K&N paper filter in there.
So my question to you guys is.. what should I do? Use the K&N or UNI?
If I put the UNI on the X, I'm going to run the K&N on the SX, and vice versa. So either way, they're both getting used. But I just wanted to know which one you guys thought was better to put on which machine.

Tri-ZNate
02-04-2006, 04:34 PM
K&N has better airflow so put it on which ever bike you want to breath better. I'd put it on the SX and put the uni on the X personally

patblkwell
02-04-2006, 04:44 PM
I was actually debating on what to put on my X too...I think I'm gonna go with the UNI...it's a good filter and half the price too...I run one on my big red and it's great.

TimSr
02-04-2006, 10:28 PM
They are both good filters. The best one is which ever one you find easiest to clean, and will do so often. The most common filter performance problem is lack of maintenance rather then type of element.

3Razors
02-05-2006, 01:10 AM
Dual stage foam offers the most protection

NOS_350X
02-05-2006, 03:41 AM
I have always used a k&n for performance BUT i just recenly found this out

I grabed one of my friends import racer mags and it had a comparason between a K&N and a (i think twin air) foam filter. In the mag it had done many test and diffrent things and the foam filter flowed better, filtered better and after many cleanings stayed with the same filtering power much better than the k&n that stared to dwindle away after several cleanings.

crackshot
02-05-2006, 09:46 AM
I have used UNI's for years and really like them.
You get the one with outer sleeve and oil it up real good and has decent airflow.
Well built and economical too.

Jason Hall
02-05-2006, 09:54 AM
I would also go with the uni. The k&n flows better, but does'nt stop as much of the fine stuff. When you see a k&n at the dunes they usually have an outerwear on them to stop the fine stuff from passing through. The outerwear would have to restrict the flow some. The uni does'nt need the outerwear, because it has 2 elements. The biggest thing is to keep them oiled & clean.

Billy Golightly
02-05-2006, 10:47 AM
I had a K&N on my 500R. I swapped over to a clamp on uni filter and immediatly noticed an increase in power. K&N's arent bad filters but I prefer foam ones. THE ONLY bad experience I've had with foam was with a No Toil brand airfilter where the foam seperated from the mounting ring and left a huge gap where it was sucking dirt and dust right into the motor. Not cool :mad:

Tri-ZNate
02-05-2006, 12:39 PM
In the mag it had done many test and diffrent things and the foam filter flowed better

Thats what i always heard but I think its load of crap. With my uni on and air box lid on, all the sx would do is bog from running too rich. Put the K&N on and with the air box lid on in ran great with no bogging. Thats my counter arguement to the "Foam has better areflow" theory.

dufrain
02-05-2006, 01:25 PM
I had a k and n on my cr 480 ,I used it in real dusty conditions and it plugged up so bad the bike wouldnt run.I probably should have cleaned it more though.None of the other guys bikes in the same conditions with foam filters had a problem.I ordered a moose foam filter for my 110 and probably will for the big red.

kloby
02-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Both are good filters. If you ride in the sand alot. Go w/ Uni, find sand particles will get through a k&N since there are only single stage. I didn't beleive it when someone told me either will we rode in the sand, and took off the air filter and you can run your fingers around the outside edge and feel the particles of sand. My Uni air filter did not have this. Hope it helps :)

TimSr
02-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Thats what i always heard but I think its load of crap. With my uni on and air box lid on, all the sx would do is bog from running too rich. Put the K&N on and with the air box lid on in ran great with no bogging. Thats my counter arguement to the "Foam has better areflow" theory.

I agree. I dont think its possible to have better flow AND better protection. One comes at the expense of the other unless you change the amount surface area which is what K&N does with its ripple design.

A plastic bag offers the best protection, and no filter element at all offers the best flow. We look for something in between that works best for our useage.

Dammit!
02-05-2006, 01:51 PM
K&N all the way. I typically have to go up one main jet when switching to the K&N from a Uni so nobody is going to convince me the Uni flows better. As for protection and durability, I live in one of the dustiest places on earth and until just recently never ran an outerwear sleave on it and I never use the airbox lid. There is NEVER even a SPECK of dust on the inside of my airbox to carb boot. I'd say they protect just fine. Just oil it correctly and you're good to go.

Oh and by the way, I've been using the same one since I bought the 250R... in 1989!

trikerider2oo7
02-05-2006, 04:46 PM
put a uni on whichever you ride most. they are a lot easier to clean than a k&n.

Dammit!
02-05-2006, 05:13 PM
put a uni on whichever you ride most. they are a lot easier to clean than a k&n.

I don't know where that opinion comes from. They're very easy to clean. Warm water and a good dish soap like Dawn will take the oil right off them. You don't even need the K&N cleaning solution.

3Razors
02-06-2006, 01:04 AM
When you look at the design of the K&N all you have is a very thin layer of cotton sandwiched between two wire mesh screens. That is the equivilant of an oily sock for proection.......

nouseforaname90
02-06-2006, 09:53 AM
I decided to run the K&N on my SX and the UNI on the X. I decided that because I'm probably going to use the X for summer-riding (when there is alot of stuff in the air) and messing around when there isnt much snow on the ground, and the SX is going to be used mainly for snow riding and maybe some summer chores, but it won't be out in it too much.

kloby
02-06-2006, 04:54 PM
I think you made the right choice. Just my opinion :)