PDA

View Full Version : Big Red Brake Question

Beck1979
03-04-2003, 12:53 PM
I have a 85 Big Red. The rear brakes were not working, so I ordered a new set. I put the new ones on but cannot get the drum to go back over them. I looked inside the drum and it almost looks like the old pads had built up in the drum. About an inch or so into the drum, there is about an 1/8" lip. Is this "lip" supposed to be there, or do I need to get the drum turned to have it all removed. If anyone is familar with what the rear brake drum should look like, let me know and I can e-mail pics of what mine looks like.

Thanks Everyone!

als250
03-04-2003, 03:28 PM
Beck1969- Have you backed the hand and foot brake adjusting nuts all the way off? This should collapse shoes enough for drum to slide over. They were probably adj.(out) to max.. Just a thought.

Al

Jugernaut
03-04-2003, 03:45 PM
I have heard tell that brake shoes for Honda ATCs are available in "oversizes" for those whos brake drum has worn down. I own a 1985 Honda Big Red my self and finding donor bikes for parts are getting hard to find in my area..

TimSr
03-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Drums will normally form an outer lip from normal wear but mostly from corrosion, because the shoes arent rubbing it off on that part. I usually just grind the lip off with a grinding disk on the dremel tool.