PDA

View Full Version : Tire change?

Mick04
02-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Just getting ready to change the front tire on my 81 185s and I was wondering if anyone has any tips that would ease the process. It has a tube in it and the rim is rusted up pretty bad so I am going to have to use the tube again. Thanks

:beer

Tri-ZNate
02-02-2006, 05:44 PM
do you have a wire brush for a drill or something? We have one and cleaned up the rust and everything to make sure it seated nicely. Cleaned up the rust too.

MTS
02-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Good luck..if it has a tube thats even worse, you may have to take it to a tire shop to break the bead's so you can undo the split rim and take it apart...your probably gona need a new tube if its rusted in ther....they tear and get jabed with rust when you pull them out, make sure you clean all the rust off the rims and re-paint the inside before you put it backtogther.

Mick04
02-02-2006, 09:41 PM
I already have the tire off the rim and am wondering what the best way is to put it back together? I cleaned the rim up good, do you think the tire would seal if the rim is pitted? Is there a way to smear silicone or something on the rim so that it will seal or should I just put the tube back in. If I use the tube how do I line up the split rim when I put it back together or do I bolt the rim together and try and get the tire and or tube on that way? Thanks

Tri-ZNate
02-02-2006, 09:49 PM
bolt the rim back together and then put the tube on.

And we spray windex onto the rim before we remount it to help seat the bead, and slides on easier that way too.

Bigred200
02-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Spray the inside of the rim with a can of $7 do it urself bedliner it will get rid of the pits, been there done it works great.

dufrain
02-03-2006, 12:10 AM
I use dishsoap on all my tires to get the bead sealed.

trikes4life
02-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Put one half of the tire on the half of the split rim, then put the tube one then the half of rim, and bolt the other half of rim on.