PDA

View Full Version : Calling all 87 Honda Freaks. Got ??'s

ClayW
01-31-2006, 03:54 PM
Well many of you know I got a pretty decent 87 SX that im now in the process of restoring. All most done I might add. Anyway, heres my question. Ok. My bike has a White headlight shroud and the guy at Vintage motorsports has a White headlight guard. Im pretty sure that both of ours came white. I know his did. The problem is with the 87 Brochure. On the brochure pic the shroud is Red. So im trying to figure out if that was a early color design, late, or just a bike thrown together for the pic. What do you guys think or know? I can find a red one pretty easily. The white ones are harder to find. Mine is busted. I want it to look right. What do you think. Here are some pics. I kinda like the Red, but the wife like the white. Thinks it flows with the White tank.

ClayW

ScottZJ
01-31-2006, 04:46 PM
Well after you posted pics of yours and I posted that brochure, I was alittle confused too. So I went to one of my local Honda dealers that have been doing it since early 70's. I showed them the pics of the brochure and asked him that question. He said during the 87 deployment of trikes, it was during the court battle. Many of the honda dealers received their trikes late 86 and early 87 for the 87 models. They wanted to get the trikes out there to sell before they were stuck with them. So many of the dealers put the parts they had on hand on the trikes to get a quick sale before the court case is decided. Now mind you, this could be just his shop and nobody else but it does sound good. He also said they tried to make the 87 look alot different than the 86, since the color scheme was basically the same. SO to do that, they changed and put the red headlight on it for the brochure. Now this could be just his opinion but I thought I would ask a dealer that has seem them come and go. Each yeah they wanted to change something that stands out so you could tell the difference before year models. It also made people want to buy the newer model.............peace

petesatc
01-31-2006, 05:18 PM
That brochure is from Canada different markets got different colour plastics....the 1989 TRX250r you guys only got white and in the UK we only got red 89's....could be that??

ScottZJ
01-31-2006, 05:26 PM
Yes actually that could be it. Maybe that is the euro model color scheme.

ClayW
01-31-2006, 07:15 PM
That may be the case. I wish I could find out for sure some how. Both sound like a definate possibility.

Clay

ClayW
01-31-2006, 07:41 PM
Hey Scott, I have been slaving away on this bad boy. Im all but done with it. Apparently someone before the dude I got it from painted the entire dang bike camo. Thats why the plastic was still real red. I had a time getting it all off. Even the tank had some kinda junk all on it. But after a hour of rubbing it down with laquer thinner I got it all off. Wax on Wax off Daniel Son. Man my arms sore. LOL. Any way, I have new plastic on the way. Hopefully it will be here tommorow. Im also waiting on an axhaust gasket. And last but not least I have to locate a decent shroud of some color. :crazy: Maybe I will just do it pink. :naughty:

ScottZJ
01-31-2006, 09:00 PM
Hey sounds like a nice deal. I got my 87 big red torn down and ready for new plastic. I just got the rear wheels painted up nicely and going to do the front forks and rims tomorrow. I hope to have it done in about a month or so. I just have a custom seat cover coming and a few OEM tail lights too.

Oh hey bra, we are doing a nice trike trip the first weekend of march 3rd I think. Its at dans place (from .org). We are riding the river near his dads place. Going to be a blast!

ClayW
01-31-2006, 09:31 PM
Hey man,

I know your not going to leave that turd of a tank on there with all that new pretty plastic. You need to let me do this to it for you.:w00t: As Pat Blackwell says. A refinished tank is like putting a cherry on top. Tops the resto off.:beer

Bigred200
01-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Hey Clay I like the white also But I think you should do it pink with purple poke a dots make it orginal....lol.....The one im picking up 86 in a couple of weeks when I finish paying for it has a white tank and red shroud doesnt look quit right. If you want red let me know I think its ok no cracks or anything I can check and let you know I'll trade you.

ScottZJ
01-31-2006, 10:09 PM
Hey Clay, I do need your services. Do you remove dings or dents in tanks too? I have like 5 tanks that need minor assistance.

ClayW
01-31-2006, 10:21 PM
Yeah I can get dings, dents, and craters out in somecases. LOL. Its pretty easy for me. Let me know what you want done/type tank etc. I can install the new decals for you too. No bubbles. PM me with what you need done. I just finished a 350X tank for Pat and put a set of 87 Wing Decals and warning decals on it. Looks sweet. You will see it soon enough. Pats just about done with his X:beer

Bigred200
01-31-2006, 10:25 PM
Holy cow Scott 5 tanks its going to cost more in shipping then it is for the work....lol

ClayW
01-31-2006, 10:30 PM
Na. If need be, I can he can ship them from our field office. Or I may drive up to Memphis on my next trip. Put them in the back.

Bigred200
01-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Ok Clay wheres your before pics of this machine?....lol

ClayW
02-01-2006, 12:36 AM
It was a turd trust me. I bought it for $100. Well the shroud I was going to snipe jumped up to $103 with 1 min to go. To rich for my blood. Had to pass.