PDA

View Full Version : Restoring 350X w/????

seadoo650
01-29-2006, 10:08 PM
The winter and work are finally starting to drive me crazy and I have got to do something.:crazy: Since I have the 250r to ride I'm gonna start my 350X restoration. Hopefully it will be ready for tf-06.

I have a few questions for my restore.
-should I paint or powdercoat the frame? And who to have do it? C'mon OH. guys.
-who to get bearings and cables and other misc. parts from.
-who has the best deals on tires and rims. I mostly trail ride this.
-handle bars??What kind??
-should I repaint the exhaust?? If so with what??
-repaint motor? or just the case and powdercoat the covers?

I want to try to keep it as original as possible but I can't afford all OEM parts. I'm gonna keep all the original plastic and shine it back up. The seat is still good with no tears so I'll re-use it.

Also the left front fork is bent slightly. Any advice on how to straighten it or does anyone have an extra laying around? How much?

Thanks is advance for the help.

Here is a current picture. Luckily I don't have a lot of work to do but it's getting to the (NEED) done stage.

seadoo650
01-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Also, How do you get a dent out of a steel tank?
Thanks

breastman569
01-29-2006, 10:31 PM
sand it and bondo it thats how i did it.

TRI Z Racer
01-29-2006, 11:02 PM
Ive heard you can pressurize a tank and with a little heat the dents will pop out on thier own. Sounds dangerous, but a motorcycle place near me does it. If your looking for powdercoat work, i can help you out there, drop me a PM and we can talk

seadoo650
01-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Ive heard you can pressurize a tank and with a little heat the dents will pop out on thier own. Sounds dangerous, but a motorcycle place near me does it. If your looking for powdercoat work, i can help you out there, drop me a PM and we can talk

I've heard that about tanks too. I'm not equipped to do it though. I'll check with some of my customers at the bodyshops also for advice.

I want to powdercoat if it will hold up. Would'nt it cost alot to ship a frame to N.Y.?

Ddw350
01-29-2006, 11:53 PM
yea,i sanded and puttied mine,works great..i like rocky mountain atv for parts

TRI Z Racer
01-30-2006, 12:01 AM
i am not equipped to do frames yet, but any other parts i can do. within the next couple months i will be able to do frames. i saw that you mentioned doing cases and possibly doing the exhaust. just throwing it out there. i actually moved and havent updated my info. now im in NH

MichiganRedneck
01-30-2006, 10:46 AM
if you choose to paint the frame, i would use Krylon High Performance Enamel. it is awesome piant and very durable. for painting exhaust and engine components, i would use Duplicolor high temp paint. that also works great. but if you have the money, get the stuff powdercoated.

X2guy
01-30-2006, 12:16 PM
For rims and tires look up in2glamis on ebay. I got a rear set of new ITP tires mounted on rims for $175.
Check out servicehonda.com for parts. They have the best prices that I have seen. Use mrcycles.com to look up the part numbers for ordering. Service hondas site can be trouble sometimes.
If it's in your budget go with powdercoating.
Also beware of the 3 wheeler restore sickness I and many others have caught...You start out with the idea of just a simple restore but then it snowballs.:eek:

chris200x
01-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Ever think of filling the tank with water and freezing it. I personally have never tried this method but it might be easier than bondo. ;)

TRI Z Racer
01-30-2006, 04:38 PM
you dont have the control when freezing as you do with compressed air and heat. you could destroy the tacnk by freezing it .

350Xhilaration
01-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Get derrick to kick in about $500 for a new tank!!! ;)

Seriously, when you find out a nice way to do it (other than body filler) let me know...I have a small ding I'd like rid of as well.

Bender
01-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Weld a whasher to the middle of the dent and then use a slide hammer to pop it out.

Oldshell4481
01-30-2006, 06:10 PM
powder coat all the way

dennis kirk is a good place if they carry the item

repaint exhaust with bbq black paint, might do the same for the motor but id just leave the motor how it is and just clean it up.

its never gonna be durable when you pop it, they always pop back in the same as before and youll still have a crinkle in the metal, id suggest plastic or new tank, or go with bondo.

90nut
01-30-2006, 08:06 PM
For the dent in the tank if you have the tools, you can weld the little metal studs in the dent and pop them out with a slide hammer. Then you would need a lttle bit of filler to make sure it is perfect. That is after you go over it with a hammer and dolley. Sound like you sell mac tools, so if I were in your shoes and did not have the tools to do it myself I would try to get one of the body shops to do it for you. Now I don't know if the dent is like a knee dent or a real mangled nasty one. If it a dent from like your knee pushing it in you could try one of those dent puller deals they sell at napa, auto zone, places like that. If it s a larger dent don't just slap a bunch of bondo on it. Exspecially if you actually are going to ride it. If you just have to do it the half arse way at least use duraglas to fill up the dent and then use a skim coat of body filler to fill all the pin holes in the duraglas. Duraglas is way harder than bondo. If you use bondo and you slap a whole pile of it on there and you pain the tank, go out and ride it a couple of times and then the bondo cracks and your all back to step one.

Oh and Tri z racer, get your self a little powder coat side buisness going on now? Stuff is great and really easy to use huh?

seadoo650
01-30-2006, 09:00 PM
I might try to have somebody pull the dent with a hot spot gun. It's kinda knarly. The triple tree clamp got it.

Rhule, Derrick only helped the dent a little. It was there before he wrecked it. I'm not sure about the forks though. Just kidding D. No worries.

If all else fails I'll get a new tank. Thanks for the info on parts and suppliers guys. All new bearings and brakes on the way now.

Gotta pull the swinger and get it finished first. Was the factory color silver?

seadoo650
02-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Wife said I can get tires for my birthday. I'm thinking Knarley's, Razr's or holeshots. Any suggestions as to who has the best deals and tire size? I'm thinking 20x10x9 since I mostly trailride but 18x10x9's may work also. I'm gonna talk to the parent's for a prm skidplate. Also gonna start on the plastics. Mac makes a plastic and glass polishing kit I'm gonna try.

mudbogger
02-04-2006, 07:56 PM
I like Rocky mtn for there tires and rim package deals.I just got ITP Baja RIMS with GBC dirt devils from them and was happy woth the price as well.

MyMistress86R
02-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey Rick,

Race Craft in Marion does powder coating. I know a guy who has had some stuff done for his car there and he said they did a very good job at a very reasonable price.

3leggeddog
02-04-2006, 09:05 PM
if you are going with a holeshot stlye tire buy the shredders by GBC.i had that set for a year and the barely wore,and never punctured.that tire design is very versitle.i would recommend it.

Derrick Adams
02-04-2006, 09:36 PM
if you are going with a holeshot stlye tire buy the shredders by GBC.i had that set for a year and the barely wore,and never punctured.that tire design is very versitle.i would recommend it.

And it works so good that ITP is copying the design on their new holeshots!

seadoo650
02-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys I'll check the gbc's. I've allready priced on rocky mtn. atv and it seems to have the best prices.

Mitsu. Do ya have a # for Race Craft?

B. Let me know when we can get togather to swap rims.

3leggeddog
02-04-2006, 10:16 PM
race craft =740 383 6500

whenever you want.come ridin tomorow.gonna hit grandmas!!!!

MyMistress86R
02-04-2006, 11:01 PM
You're really gonna ride tomorrow B? Call me, I'd like to come out and hang with ya for a bit if I'm welcome. I'll PM you my #s.

3leggeddog
02-05-2006, 01:36 AM
hell yeah.we are warriors bud.i rode tonight too!!!!!!!!!just got home,i love it.

you know you are always welcome!!!

bondoboy
02-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Don't just mud up big dents with body filler. Like one of the other members said, a body shop will use a stud welder to weld pins to the steel then use a special slide hammer to pull on them. Then you can use filler to smooth out any ripples in the metal. After that, an etching primer would be applied to the bare steel, and a fill primer over that. Block sand the primer, then spray on a sealer primer and finally paint. I used to work in a body shop and I did this on my brother's Sportster tank. I have all of the body tools including the stud welder. If anyone needs help with a tank, I live in southern Indiana. I also work at a body shop supply store so I have access to all of the supplies. Hope this helps.

seadoo650
02-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the info on the tank. I also talked to some of my customers and one said he would help me with it and also paint it for $175.00. Prolly take it to him. Ordering the tires this weekend. Still waiting on the bearings from some loser on Ebay. His feedback got real crappy lately so I doubt I even see them. I hate waiting once I start a project.

Ddw350
02-12-2006, 12:05 AM
ive done alot of tank repairs on the side for people,my little side business i guess.i use putty,but only after i take as much of the dent out as possible,i have some weird homemade tools i use 1st,then the putty.ive never had anyone have trouble with them,ive done 15-25 i cant really remember! i agree as to not "fill the giant dent" with a huge glob of putty...that will usually pop out or start chipping off in chunks..like my old farm truck!! actually its the rust under the putty on the truck causing it to fall out!!

seadoo650
02-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Just purchased the tires. Maxxis Razr 6-ply 20-11-9. $135 shipped. Looked like the best deal for what I need. Gettin excited now.

90nut
02-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Loved the razrs on my 200x. You won't be disapointed.

seadoo650
02-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Just a quick update. Swinger goes to powdercoat tomorrow.:w00t: Tires are in.

Anybody know how to polish factory aluminum rims. Don't need to be perfect just clean em up a little. Also the axle is kinda nasty and advice for cleaning it up. I was bidding on a nice axle on Ebay but somebody beat me by a dollar.:mad: I could'nt stay up till 2 in th a.m. I don't need to know if it was anyone on here though. As soon as I get the plastic polish kit I'm gonna do the tank shrouds. I'll post pics of before and after. If anybody is interested in the kits I'm gonna bring some to TF. Like $40. Also will have a nice selection of Motion Pro tools to sell. I'll put a list together closer to TF.

Can't wait!!!!!:beer

nouseforaname90
02-21-2006, 10:38 PM
For the front rim on my X (which is factory.. the rear rims are new Douglas') I took some oven cleaner, and wiped all of the grime and stuff off.. the heavy grime. Don't leave the oven cleaner on there for an extended period of time. Then I took a small buffing pad with 3M Perfect-It III rubbing compound and buffed every part of the wheel I could reach (took like 5 minutes max and made it look real nice), and then take some Mothers polish and polish it up. It doesn't make it as shiny as Douglas rims, but it puts a nice shine on it. I'll get you a pic of my rim..

nouseforaname90
02-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Here is the best pic I have right now. This is before I cleaned it up with Mother's and got it totally done, but it gives you an idea. (ignore all of the spots on it.. thats just rubbing compound because I hadn't cleaned it off yet).. There are no "before" pics, but it had these nasty burn-looking (and big) black spots ALL over it and it was really bad looking. About 15 minutes of work paid off!

http://s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/100_0385.JPG (http://s2.supload.com/free/100_0385.JPG/view/)

Oh. And also.. if rubbing compound and a small buffer does not get it clean, you could use some 0000 steel wool to clean it up, and then polish it further with the buffing pad and polishing compound.

seadoo650
02-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Thanks nouse. I'll get on it tomorrow. Wanna clean em up before I put the new tires on.

seadoo650
02-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Polished the tank shrouds today using a Mac Tools glass and plastic polish kit. Had to wet sand with 1000, 1500, then 2000 grit using a quarter inch right angle grinder. The kit comes with all of these that are velco backed 2" pads to fit on the holder (also included). Then go over it with the foam pad and compound and then finally go over it with the polishing pad. All of which are also in the kit. I will bring as many of these kits to TF as I can for $40.00 a pop.

Total time on these two shrouds was about an hour. I hope the front and rear fenders don't take as long since I have the process down now.

First 2 Before. Second 2 After

Kintore
02-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Those shrouds look alot better, If you dont mind can you give me a update in like a month saying how well it held up? If its good ill buy one at TF.

Sure looks alot better, thanks seadoo

seadoo650
02-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Those shrouds look alot better, If you dont mind can you give me a update in like a month saying how well it held up? If its good ill buy one at TF.

Sure looks alot better, thanks seadoo

I won't redo them berfore Tf and you can see for yourself.
Kinore down for one.:w00t:

seadoo650
03-16-2006, 11:54 PM
Just a quick pic of the swinger I just got back Wednesday.

Not bad for $25.00

seadoo650
03-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Got the bearing and seals in and put the rearend back together. Only one problem... Since the swinger lloks so good I want to redo the whole thing now. So ofter the rumble I'm gonna tear it back down and put in new Rad bearing carrier, lonestar hubs and sprocket and brake holders. I'm gonna try to polish up the axle since it is in good straight condition. I'll get an aftermarket later. Does lonestar make hubs for factory axles???

The tank went off to get fixed and painted Friday so it should be ready by next weekend. Gonna need some new tank decals for it.

Any ways here is the swionger back together. Now ya know why I want to get it ALL done now.

3leggeddog
03-19-2006, 12:18 PM
looks good rick!!!!!!!!better hurry on that restore,rumble is comin soon

seadoo650
03-19-2006, 12:49 PM
looks good rick!!!!!!!!better hurry on that restore,rumble is comin soon

Oh yea. Plenty of time. I could have it all back together today but I'm waiting on my renthal sprocket and chain kit. It'll be ready for the rumble in two weeks and we have three.

SpeedBump
03-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Looking good Rick. Got an idea for the Axle. A friend who runs an engine shop with his Father, figured a good way to resto axles. Take the axle out, take it to a machine shop with a lathe. Chuck it up, spin it at low rpms and hit it with the different grits of sand paper. Once you are happy with the finish, either powdercoat it with the clear, or just get it cleared with paint. It will not hold up forever, but until you start smashing it off rocks and such, it will look good. His has been done for a couple years and still looks good. If my axle spines weren't all about shot, I would be doing this to mine. ( What a shame I need to buy a new chrome axle! :naughty: )
Anyway, talk to you guys later. SP

seadoo650
03-26-2006, 06:53 PM
All back together as of now for the Rumble, except the tank. It's still off being painted and straightened. Got all new brakes and bearings in. I was right, they needed replaced. Also chain and sprockets.
As soon as we get back it's going down to the frame for powder coat, complete engine detail and tune, new bars and shiny polished plastics back on it. Also getting one o dem stainless steel bolt kits. Man it's gonna be purdy.

seadoo650
04-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Just got it back together for the Rumble. The Tank turned out awsome. Cost me $75.00. No more dent.:w00t: Also polished up the front fender and got the rear wheels on. Still gotta get decals for the tank. After the rumble it gets stripped down and the frame goes to powder coating. Exhaust gets ceramicoated and moter gets some work and cleaning done. I should be able to accomplish taht before TF.

The first pic was taken right before I started.