PDA

View Full Version : Getting rear bearings out

jmoe816
01-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Im rebuilindg my trike, and upon taking the rear axle assembly apart, I had no problems except getting the rear bearings out. They have been pressed in and will not come out. Any ideas?? Thanks!

smokey
01-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Use chisel from the inside and hit it hard with a big hammer while the carrier is in a vice. That should do it.

jmoe816
01-30-2006, 12:01 AM
I tried that, but heres the thing...One the atc200, there is an inner shaft between the two bearings that really wont allow me to get a chisel in there. I can put a screwdriver in there to beat them out, but all the screwdriver does is tear up the bearing, not knock it out. But I will try to somehow get the chisel back in there. Im sure all this rust inside wont help me though. :) Thanks.

deathman53
01-30-2006, 12:05 AM
put the carrier on a hot plate and let the carrier heat up. the bearings will almost fall out after the carrier is heated enough.

RacerRichie
01-30-2006, 09:00 AM
Your going to replace the bearings right......
Get out the BFH and beat away!:twisted:

Howdy
01-30-2006, 09:31 AM
I have a end of a crow bar that I use. With the angled end I can get pretty close to the outer part of the bearing. Normally a few taps of the hammer and the bearing is out.
Howdy

trikes4life
01-30-2006, 10:16 AM
HAve another person with you, take out the wire that holds the bearings in place, it will take a while but you can do it. And it will litterly fall out. Thats what keeps the pressure so they stay in.

MichiganRedneck
01-30-2006, 10:42 AM
put the carrier in the oven for a little while around 300 degrees. while thats heating up, put your new bearings in the freezer. ive used this technique and it works awesome. good luck!

atctim
01-30-2006, 12:08 PM
I have found this to be a great way to get old bearings out. Get a die grinder (attachment) for an electric drill. Grind it down until it is paper thin (doesn't take very long). Use a large screwdriver and a hammer, and just work it out with it. Once it's ground down, it will cave into itself, and fall out. I just did two bearing replacements this month this way, and it's the best way to go.

Bit looks like this:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28/buildup/intakebase/porting/grinding_bit.jpg