PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z Rims

bluevetteguy
01-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Any of you guys ever polished the rims of your 85 tri-z's? Well I made an attempt last night cuz i was told they were aluminum but after hours of sanding and polishing we got no shine! What the hell are these rims made out of? I think I'm about to get a quote to have them powdercoated. You guys don't think that would look too bad do you? I personally love black rims on anything, but I don't want to ruin the sexyness of the yammerhammer;)

Yamahauler
01-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Tri-Z rims are aluminum...To polish them start with 600 grit sandpaper and if that doesnt get all the imperfections of the metal out, go down to the next grit, when you find the grit that takes the imperfections out, sand like hell with that, then start going up in grits all the way to 2000 grit. then use "Mothers Polish" to finsih it off (works great with a dremel)

TimSr
01-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Unless mine originals were not the stock ones, the stock rims on the 85 Z were gold colored steel.

Jeb
01-27-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm pretty sure the rear rims on my 85 Z are OEM. They are 8" gold aluminum.

Tim, I bet your's would have to be aftermarket.

bluevetteguy
01-27-2006, 07:20 PM
mine were gold as well but the rears weren't stock because they were 9 inchers. but anyway it doesn't matter now because i just dropped them off to have then sandblasted and powder coated. i'll post pics late next week when theyre done if anyone is interested.

MTS
01-27-2006, 08:23 PM
mine were gold as well but the rears weren't stock because they were 9 inchers. but anyway it doesn't matter now because i just dropped them off to have then sandblasted and powder coated. i'll post pics late next week when theyre done if anyone is interested.
I hope it aint black...Steelin my idea's.....:beer will look sweet.

nimda78
01-27-2006, 09:24 PM
stick a magnet to it

bluevetteguy
01-27-2006, 10:06 PM
yep theyre gonna be semigloss black and i'm gonna have the hubs done yellow. i think thatll be pretty sweet