PDA

View Full Version : ??? about 2 strokes

bluevetteguy
01-25-2006, 09:31 PM
whats up all? i just bought an 85 tri-z in EXCELLENT shape for a very good price. Im pretty to new 2 strokes so i've got a few questions. on my old 200x i would get it going wide open and run it that way until i ran out of road, is this a bad thing to do to a 2 stroke. it was just rebuilt (for the 1st time), but i heard its very bad to run a 2 stroke at high rpms for a long time. is this true? i mean i run the hell outta my weedeater and its been goin for years, but i've just heard its bad to do that. man i've got a lot to learn about these 2 strokers

MTS
01-25-2006, 09:43 PM
whats up all? i just bought an 85 tri-z in EXCELLENT shape for a very good price. Im pretty to new 2 strokes so i've got a few questions. on my old 200x i would get it going wide open and run it that way until i ran out of road, is this a bad thing to do to a 2 stroke. it was just rebuilt (for the 1st time), but i heard its very bad to run a 2 stroke at high rpms for a long time. is this true? i mean i run the hell outta my weedeater and its been goin for years, but i've just heard its bad to do that. man i've got a lot to learn about these 2 strokers
It aint gona hurt it, its a 2 stroke there ment to run High RPMs just use a good Premix (32:1 ams oil) and give er, but i would ride it a bit get it good n broke in first if its been rebuilt, if you run WOT lots you will go though rings quicker, but i wouldnt worry bout it.

mbubbac
01-25-2006, 09:45 PM
yeah aslong as *Edited* run good oil in *Edited**Edited* gas and have good cooling you should be fine but dont be like over revving it shift through the gears

Derrick Adams
01-25-2006, 09:51 PM
I disagree. I too, was always told not to run a 2 stroke wide-open for extended periods.

MTS
01-25-2006, 09:54 PM
I disagree. I too, was always told not to run a 2 stroke wide-open for extended periods.
Have you ever seen a bike in the Dune's? all they do is run WOT.......as long as your jetting ect cooling is good all your doing is wearin down on the rings/piston/cylinder a little quicker.

bluevetteguy
01-25-2006, 10:43 PM
so what you guys are telling me is that i babied it all day for nothing lol. i don't know how long it takes to break one in but i assume its good enough because he said he ran 3 1/2 tanks after the rebuild and i've used 1 in the 1 day i've been able to ride it. thanks for the help guys:beer

Hornetpowerspor
01-25-2006, 10:59 PM
In my experiences, if you are jetted correctly, and run a good oil, hammer down.(that is after it is broke in) I use my 250R on the farm, and we have a couple of fields that are a few miles apart, when I get on the road and after it is up to operating temperature, I will open it up untill I get to the stop sign. I have owned it for about 13 years now with no motor problems. Just my 02 cents.

TimSr
01-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Depends on what you call "wide open". Everybody knows that if you put it in first gear, and hold it wide open going down the rode for 10 minutes, it will melt, right? High gear will do the same thing if you reach those kinds of RPMs. Most of the time, you dont have the power and the space to get it fast enough to get the RPMs that high in high gear for extended periods of time, but if you can, it will melt it. Dont run it at higher RPMs than you would run it in a lower gear without shifting.

cehmke
01-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Dont run it at higher RPMs than you would run it in a lower gear without shifting.

I, for some reason, find that to be reasonable:wondering

mbubbac
01-25-2006, 11:53 PM
with a 2 stroke if your tryin 2 go up a hill yeah rev it out but if your just going straigh down a road or path use the gears 2 your advantage 2 save your topend for longer. why hold it wot in 3rd gear like all the way down a path when you can pop it into 4th and do like 1/2 throttle or full. and make sure you break in the fresh top end good nice and rich. and mix the gas on the rich side if you want it 2 last

200xcellent
01-26-2006, 12:13 AM
Well psychoX was running 3leggeddog's cr250 at wot against my raptor in a race and the silencer caught fire.......thats my story. :)

RideRed250R
01-26-2006, 01:26 AM
lol, i liked the dune remark... its true my bike in the dunes always gets pinned out over hills, around bowls lol... pingers love revs... dont blow it up but keep her up in the 9k range lol
adam

X2guy
01-26-2006, 07:38 PM
I used to run my CR 250 on the ice. It had a lot of 6th gear WOT time on it. In the spring it was time for a new piston.

Groundworx
01-26-2006, 07:56 PM
so what you guys are telling me is that i babied it all day for nothing lol. i don't know how long it takes to break one in but i assume its good enough because he said he ran 3 1/2 tanks after the rebuild and i've used 1 in the 1 day i've been able to ride it. thanks for the help guys:beer

Just go have fun on it. 2 strokes are intended to be run at higher RPM. You should be fine. Like TimSr. said, I wouldn't take off down the road in 1st and hold it wide open for 10 min. Don't be afraid to redline though. That is how it was built.

I also have a TRI-Z and I am in Tuttle Oklahoma if you want to go ride sometime. :w00t:

Unclediezel
01-26-2006, 09:28 PM
2 strokes are designed to rev higher---while this is true, consider that a four stroke MUST rev twice as fast to do the same amount of work--You most definitely will run out of road -long before you max out your engine--