PDA

View Full Version : 250sx kickstart question.

dizasterzrfun69
01-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Well i got one of the 2 85 250sx's running but i still need to work out a few bugs and the kickstart is one of them. It feels like it's going to work but then you kick it and there is nothing (It's not catching the gear or whatever, kinda like the 85 200x's). Is this the gears or something else? And how hard will it be to swap them out? I do have the honda shop manual so that should be able to help me out some. I also have a spare parts engine which i believe has the gears in it.

Kevin

Howdy
01-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Kevin, I bet when you shut it off you hear a whirling noise as well. I can tell you exactly what is wrong with it. It's a wore out one-way clutch. It's a fairly easy fix.

Here is a posting I did on this 2 1/2 years ago. It's a common problem on the SX & ES motors. I think John has replaced a few over the past few years. ;)
Howdy

dizasterzrfun69
01-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Kevin, I bet when you shut it off you hear a whirling noise as well. I can tell you exactly what is wrong with it. It's a wore out one-way clutch. It's a fairly easy fix.

Here is a posting I did on this 2 1/2 years ago. It's a common problem on the SX & ES motors. I think John has replaced a few over the past few years. ;)
Howdy

yupp, i forgot to mention that noise, but thats exactly what it does.

Kevin

Howdy
01-25-2006, 11:10 AM
yupp, i forgot to mention that noise, but thats exactly what it does.

Kevin

dang it, I forgot to post a link. Here it is:
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showpost.php?p=61376&postcount=6
Uncle Howdy ;)

dizasterzrfun69
01-25-2006, 01:23 PM
I think i'll just tackle it myself, i think john gets home at like 5:30 and i dont really feel like sitting around that long just to have him say "it's real simple" lol. I ran out to the old mans house and found one. the motor was apart (it's our sx/es donor motor) and the centrifical clutch was off so i spun it one way and then the other, it seems to be good but i guess i'll find out soon enough.
I looked at how it works and it cant be that hard, i'm guessing 30-45 minutes?

Kevin

dizasterzrfun69
01-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Ok i got the one way clutch changed out and my kickstart works, it just doesnt come back up! WTF is it now? any ideas?

Kevin

dizasterzrfun69
01-25-2006, 07:09 PM
And those ain't so easy imo ,,, !

john
isn't that the spring thats like IN the tranny? why is the kickstart not returning now but it was before i changed the one way clutch?

Kevin

Dirtcrasher
01-25-2006, 07:53 PM
The SX return spring is a tricky bugger. You almost have to pull the whole shaft out and just have it barely grab while angling it in order to catch that spring in the right spot. There is also a punch mark on the shaft and gears to line up but I believe you simply do not have the return spring on correct.

85sx
02-02-2006, 10:09 PM
I just finished replacing my kicker it was a pain. You have remove both clutch assembly's cintrifigal and manual, when you get the kicker shaft in make sure the punch mark on the outside end of the kickstarter shaft is on top. If its on the bottom its not lined up propperly and wont return to its seated position. Hope it helps