PDA

View Full Version : price ranges for frame build ups?

zeus8807
01-24-2006, 11:16 PM
okay well im finally ready to start my first trike project, my plan is to actually build 2, build the first nothing special, just something to play on till the second one if done, the second one will be a special trike that i have already designed(General lee fans will like it, or atleast have a good laugh:lol: ) but anyways, im looking for something cheaper to rebuild for the first, i figure the less i spend on the first the more i have for the 2nd bike. so any ideas on frame build up cost, i've thought about buying a complete bike, but wanna see what im looking at for build up cost?

CHAINSAW
01-24-2006, 11:22 PM
A good average price for a Tri Z or R, if you kinda shop around on parts to find better deals on used parts, you can do one as cheap as $400. Look to spend around $600-$800 though, depending on if you can find a good motor for a good price.

ATCT
01-25-2006, 01:17 PM
okay well im finally ready to start my first trike project, my plan is to actually build 2, build the first nothing special, just something to play on till the second one if done, the second one will be a special trike that i have already designed(General lee fans will like it, or atleast have a good laugh:lol: ) but anyways, im looking for something cheaper to rebuild for the first, i figure the less i spend on the first the more i have for the 2nd bike. so any ideas on frame build up cost, i've thought about buying a complete bike, but wanna see what im looking at for build up cost?
I think it depends on how nice you want to make it. I've spent a fortune on my 200X restoration. Unless you want to make a heavily modified trike to start, I would find a nice complete trike. If you're patient, you can find one in need of very little for much less than it will run you to part one together. Sadly, I was not patient.

In the end, I guess it all depends on what you want to build. If you want to build a 350X from the frame up, I think you'd probably be looking at close to $2K in parts based on what I've been seeing stuff go for on eBay. 200X parts, on the other hand, are more readily available. Still, it hasn't been cheap for me.

This is just my opinion and experience though.

breastman569
01-25-2006, 04:11 PM
well i bought my 86R for 1400 and ive put about 350 into it and i think it looks really good for $1750 trike that 20years old. that amount doesnt include man hours hahaha!
here is a before and after picture.

zeus8807
01-25-2006, 04:43 PM
i was thinking something more common for the first one, like a big red 200 or 250 or maybe a 185 or something smaller, nothing special just something enough to keep me from being impatient on my true project and trying to rush that.:lol:

ATCT
01-25-2006, 04:56 PM
i was thinking something more common for the first one, like a big red 200 or 250 or maybe a 185 or something smaller, nothing special just something enough to keep me from being impatient on my true project and trying to rush that.:lol:
Honestly man, I think you could find a very decent running trike for a low price. This way, you can focus on your project, and more importantly, focus your time and funds on the main project. Trust me, I was going crazy trying to part together two bikes at once--I never got one done. So, I scrapped the second project and am trying to finish the first before starting another (which I'm not sure I'd do from the ground up again).

MTS
01-25-2006, 05:11 PM
My Z has cost me well into 2500$ (with purchase price) and its still in pices being a POS.........But im a prefecanist....haha

ATCT
01-25-2006, 05:19 PM
My Z has cost me well into 2500$ (with purchase price) and its still in pices being a POS.........But im a prefecanist....haha
I'm right there with ya brother. I wanted to pay about $750 and go riding, and I ended up where you're at monetarily and I still haven't been riding in 18 years. The pain. The pain.

chris200x
01-25-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm right there with ya brother. I wanted to pay about $750 and go riding, and I ended up where you're at monetarily and I still haven't been riding in 18 years. The pain. The pain.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought I was the only one! :rolleyes:

I sunk over two grand into that little X and never even rode it! :eek: So I feel your pain.

Seriously though... when it comes to restoring/rebuilding... the sky is the limit.

X2guy
01-25-2006, 05:56 PM
I paid $700 for the bike, Canadian $ and now have a total of about $4k in it. Only a few more parts and it should be fully assembled.
It's like a disease. It's gotta be perfect. The only thing that is left from the original bike is the engine (new crank, piston, bearings and seals), swingarm, axle, triple clamps, forks. Everything else I have purchase new or found the best used parts.
All this started with the idea of just fixing it up a little. :lol:

MTS
01-25-2006, 06:00 PM
I paid $700 for the bike, Canadian $ and now have a total of about $4k in it. Only a few more parts and it should be fully assembled.
It's like a disease. It's gotta be perfect. The only thing that is left from the original bike is the engine (new crank, piston, bearings and seals), swingarm, axle, triple clamps, forks. Everything else I have purchase new or found the best used parts.
Thats pretty much like My Z only im not to that point yet....:lol: these things cost way to dam much in canada...haha

Aussieduner
01-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Im in the hole for about 6k with all the new parts and shipping to Australia thats including the purchase of the trike as well.

Aussie

ATCT
01-25-2006, 06:09 PM

That's EXACTLY what happened to me!! haha.

82300R
01-25-2006, 09:06 PM
i have redone my 81 250r,not counting what i payed for it, i really don't want to know. i know i will never sell it for what i have in to it. thats just parts. then theres the 82 250r i'm redoing totaly from the bare frame, i'm not even keeping track. note that i use the word ''redo'' cause' in no way or they one of those powdercoat,chrome,new oem parts projects. they are stretching my wallet just at the level that i am trying to accomplish. that is complete mechanicaly sound machines that you can get on and ride.

sandpuppi101
01-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Welcome to the board Zeus- Personally I would say for your first project you should tackle a machine like a 185s or 200.A machine that is more open to work on and is fairley simple to work on,and the parts are somewhat easy to find.I would hate to see ya loose interest in your first Trike!