PDA

View Full Version : 85 250R Problems

AngusJustice
01-23-2006, 09:44 PM
My 85 250R will not stay running, I've Cleaned The Carb Put A Filter On THe Fuel Line And It Still Gives Me Trouble,. It Will Run For A Few Minutes Then Stop. It Will Start Up After That But Only Run For A Couple Seconds. I Believe This Is A Gas Related Problem Anyone Know How To Help Please Do!!!!!!! AngusJustice Thanks....

DeePa
01-23-2006, 09:48 PM
id say your petcock is clogged up, and when the bike isnt run long enough, the bowl fills up, but doesnt refill fast enough to keep the bike running, which is why it stalls out and wont stay running for long.

Pull the fuel line off of the petcock and turn it on, and there should be a steady stream of gas pouring out. If there isnt, empty the tank and clean it until the gas flows out consistently.

3leggeddog
01-23-2006, 09:55 PM
or the float in the carb could be sticking?but if you cleaned,then maybe not.or maybe you do not have the float assembly put back together right.good luck.

AngusJustice
01-23-2006, 10:08 PM
I Know The Pet-cock Is Funky Because In The Off Position In Still Leaks Gas. So I Don't Know If It Is Junk Or Not. I Do Have Another Carb From My Other 250r Which Ran Great Until I Lost 3rd Gear. Maybe I'll Clean Her Up And Install It To See What Happens?... Thanks Guys Would Have Never Thought Of That!!!!!!

85 250sx
01-23-2006, 11:34 PM
does it sound normal while its on? did you change the sparkplug also if not that would be the first thing id do. aslo try and get a clear (see through) fuel line from your tank to your carb so you can actualy see if the fuel line is getting empty. if you dont have a transparent fuel line turn your petcock off and unplug your fuel line from your carb and then turn your petcock on and see if your gas is flowing normaly, it should flow out pretty fast. if you do that at least you will be able to check if the gas is reaching your carb or not.

85 250sx
01-23-2006, 11:37 PM
if you have a fouled plug that sucker will NEVER run right

AngusJustice
01-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Thanks For The Fouled Plug Tip Anyone Know The Stock Gap For The 85 250R? Thanks guys............A.J>

85 250sx
01-24-2006, 12:22 AM
stock plug gap is 0.7-- 0.8mm oh also if you can get the NGK BR9ES spark plugs.
and if you cant get to a store right away somtimes cleaning a spark plug up with a wire brush helps untill you can get a new one.

AngusJustice
01-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Thanks 85 250SX That's Just What I Needed I'll Buy A Plug And Gap It Tommorow. I'm Gonna Switch Tanks And Clean Out My Other Carb. Any Chance Adjusting The Richness/Leanness Clip In The Carb Help? It Is Set Dead Center.

85 250sx
01-24-2006, 12:36 AM
na dont start messing with your carburation untill you iliminate some other stuff first. Be for you switch tanks and tear your other 250r apart you should try a new plug other wise you may be just wasting your time cause it sounds like it may be just a fouled plug. did you un hook your pet cock yet to see it its clogged?

AngusJustice
01-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Thanks For The Info On The Spark Plug Gap And brand I'll Go Get One Tommorow And I'm Gonna Change My Tank And My Carb With Another Set. Could The Richness/Leanness Clip In The Carb Be My Problem? Thanks Again A.J.........

85 250sx
01-24-2006, 12:46 AM
i doubt its the air/fuel ratio screw if it was just that it would just run like crap. But you cant be sure UNTIL you iliminate some other stuff. So why you so rushed to change your tank and carb? when you might resolve the whole problem buy puting in a new spark plug! thats how they usauly act when you foul a plug it will turn on somtimes and run like crap and if you try to rev it, it will stall out.

AngusJustice
01-24-2006, 02:20 AM
Thanks I'll Try The Plug First But The Other Trike Is Already In Pieces So If THe Plug Don't Work It's No Big Deal Just Losing My Patience Thats All Bin Working On It For 2 Weeks!!!!!!!!! My 84 CR Never Fouled A Plug So It Never Crossed My Mind!!! Thanks Again A.J...........................I Learn Something New Ever Day Here!!!!!!!!!

daputz
01-24-2006, 02:51 AM
Have you checked the fuel tank vent?