PDA

View Full Version : frozen diff :(

Sox
01-19-2006, 05:33 PM
my diff seems to have water in it and it froze, i dont think any big damage just gota drain it wen its warm. it got in through a hole in the bendy rubber boot between tranny and dif, can i change it without pulling the rear end?

atctim
01-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Sox,

Not sure if you are talking about a Big Red or a SX, but if you are, the diff is sealed. If you got water in the rubber boot where you described, it is just the axle shaft. If you were riding in alot of water, chances are your brake drum seal leaked, and your brakes are frozen.

If you want to check you diff oil, just unscrew the plug on the back (19mm I think) and look in.

If it's not a Honda, disregard this message.

ScottZJ
01-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Believe it or not but it takes about 15 mins to have that diff off in your hands. It would be best if you could do that. Just remember if you want to soak it in something to clean it, that it has seals on the bearings and you dont want to trash them. Before installing it back lube the mess out of it and then put it back.

Sox
01-19-2006, 08:04 PM
its an 86 atc 250sx. i didnt realize it at the time but it did this before my deep water fun, and maybe im missing a seal, last owners beat my poor machine. when my dad flipped it oil came out of the top near the shaft, ill have to look closer in better light, its had diff problems before. previous owners blew swingarm bearins and road it anyway and filled diff with metal, i cleaned it and flushed it out and seemed ok, but the seal at the driver side wheel does leak slowly.