PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get out the swingarm bolt on 86 200x!

cragster
01-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Man me tried everything!
We hit the right side nut with a big hammer like a billion times and it wasnt workin! SO we got out an air hammer chizzle thingy and put that up to it for 5 minutes and it still didnt budge at all! Ive got to get out 2 swingarms to switch out. This is harder than heck... Can someone tell me what is goin on and what we need to do?

BigGreenMachine
01-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Your hitting the correct side right? lol j/k

Keep at it with some penetrating oil and a bigger hammer/brass punch.

nd4speed
01-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Well I removed one from a frame that sat out side for I dont know how long (see pic). Wasn't easy and took more than 30 minutes filled with lots of cursing. Air chisel I think was worthless. Lots of PB penetrant or Liguid wrench. The shock wasn't on but strapped down the swingarm cause it was moving. Put a socket and breaker on bolt end and worked back and forth while hammering with a 5 pounder and a socket extension (and socket to start?) . Did it myself while my girlfriend watched.

cragster
01-16-2006, 08:04 PM
ok i meen me hit this thing for like an hour. and more than 10 mins with the air hammer no lie.... were prolly gonna cut the swingarm out and heat up the cut bolts to get em out or something...ahhhh :(
but well try...
we hit the right side and then we hit the left to try and loosen it up some also. but yeah we hit the right side

cragster
01-16-2006, 08:09 PM
the bolt end is completly circle so i cant to that though...but your saying that enuff hits will get the POS outa there. and yes my shock is only one the swingarm. ANd the rear end i bought for it is still in a cut up frame (dont ask) so i gotta get that out too! i might go out there and start hammerin it tonight or tomorow again.

nd4speed
01-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Make a slide hammer maybe? Did it move at all?

200xcellent
01-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Psycho X pulled his motor and cut his out. Hold some propane torches to the swinger for about 10-15min. Then do what you been doin.

MichiganRedneck
01-16-2006, 08:56 PM
i had the same problem with my 400ex. if you have ever heard of the oil called Kroils, it works miracles. it comes in a orange tin squirt can. i loaded my bolt with it, let it sit over night and went to work on it the next day. i took an impact gun and spun the head of the bolt to get it broken loose. then i took a medium sized punch and drove it out. i didnt mushromm the threads too bad and it was still usable. get some kroil, you wont regret it. good luck

cragster
01-16-2006, 09:33 PM
nd4speed.....no it didnt move at all
michiganredneck....well i cant spin the bolt head because its round. i will look into kroil.
200xcelant...so i can just heat up the the swinger and that may work?
Im gonna soak it with lube for the next few days. then if i can find someoen with a welder, i could weld a wrench to the bolt head and spin it loose or something maybe...
Hopefully its not as bad taking it out of the other frame? I got to do it to 2 swingers!

3leggeddog
01-16-2006, 09:34 PM
use a die grinder to cut it out.right in between the frame and swinger.then press the bolt out of the swinger in a 10 ton press.

ClayW
01-16-2006, 09:40 PM
I guess I was lucky on my 350X. I used a impact wrench and a hand wrench for backup. Had to lay on it for a bit with the wrench, but it came out. Took about a minute with the impact. But I have a pretty stout impact. I will break nuts off if you let it.

ClayW

cragster
01-16-2006, 09:52 PM
yeah we may cut it but the other one..we cant cut that..i havnt tried to get it out though..it may come out easier

atckowalski
01-17-2006, 01:05 AM
I had the same problem until I cut the bolt head off and knocked it out the other way.The problem with that is you will need a new bolt.

cragster
01-17-2006, 04:56 PM
hmmm well. i have 2 bolts.. this one is already ruined buti still gotta get out the other without breaking it too! where can i get a replacement 86 200x swingarm bolt? for if i need one

ATCWRENCH
01-17-2006, 05:06 PM
I used a 10lb sledge and a brass drift punch and about 5 good hits it came out. even though the punch was brass I still had to buy a new bolt, it mashed the end of it.

cragster, are you doing a factory rebuild or are you just rebuilding it mechanically so its safe to ride? the reason why I ask is the needle bearings used in any and all atc/v's are a junk design from the get go. i am having Oldschoolin make a swingarm for my tecate and having the pivot made big enough the run sealed ball bearings instead of needle bearings. its gonna be a hub style design, it will be a lot stiffer and easier to maintain as needle bearings require greasing after about every ride.

cragster
01-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Im not doing a factory rebuild....But an Aftermarket rebuild.
So far i bought a dg exhaust,a complete rear end, a tank(pricey), tank fins, a new maier front fender(got a deal..20 bucks shipped)and the trike... at 600 bucks so far.. buti still gotta get
Prm Baja Grab Bar
Moose Dirtbike HandleBars
Hubs
2" Wheel Spacers
Fork Boots
Grips
Maier Rear Fenders
Air Filter (UNI)
Clutch Cable
Brake Cables
Brake/Clutch Bar Levers
Custom Seat Cover by Moshman
Brake Pads
Throttle Cable

ATCWRENCH
01-18-2006, 10:40 AM
what kinda hubs are you wanting? 200X factory hubs or anything that will work? if you want anything that works look for a set of hubs off of a 250X or 300EX. they are factory extended hubs that will give about 3 inches of added width. granite its not 4 inches like the hub spacers, but then again if you wanna go W-I-D-E then ad the spacers to the extended hubs.

cragster
01-18-2006, 10:44 AM
I am getting 300ex hubs witch are the same as stock on the 86's and 87's. I am gettin wheel spacers also. Does the 2 in wheel spacer meen 1" on each hub or 2" on each hub? I want it to look kiindof racerlike when im done. Need to sell that dam quad before i can hardly anything though. I feel kindof bad.i told tyler54 i would his hubs and then my *money* got stolen! Stuff happenes i guess