PDA

View Full Version : i love my 350x,questions on mods

3leggeddog
01-16-2006, 07:20 PM
well i have always had a 2 strokes.this summer i decided i wanted to trade off one of my r's for a 350x.i have always heard good things about them,and figured wth.so it's been about 2 months or so since i got the bike.wow,i am in love.at first i was dissapointed in the lack of power,but as i have learned to ride it,the power is great.it's not outta control fast,but has enough tourqe to pull you around.i think i will do a little motor work,cam,piston,and freshen everything up.it needs just a touch more power,seems like i run out of motor climbin sometimes.

so my questions are what good cam,piston combo do you guys run.this thing has to stay reliable.is the 400ex carb worht it?what about the big bore kits?

also does anyone run a clark plastic tank?if so how is it?

thanks guys,later Brandon:w00t: :beer

SpeedBump
01-16-2006, 08:46 PM
www.powroll.com has really good high performance kits. They have been around for a long time and were one of the first companies to start modding the 350X engines. (before the larger 4 strokes started showing up they used the 350X engines in TRX250R chassis for Moto-X)

BTW, Told you they are fun machines! LOL!

3leggeddog
01-16-2006, 08:55 PM
very fun machines.i was un sure that it would hold up to the kind of riding we do,but the performance is great.i just need a little more motor,and a +2 swinger.

i don't want to get real crazy with the mods.i will say this is the best wheeling machine i have ever been on.it's like this thing was meant to be on the back 2 wheels.and for climbing hills,it is a bit short,but very controlable,and tractable.

Jason Hall
01-16-2006, 08:56 PM
If you can find the finagin pin I would pull that out & throw it away. Then I would put a webb mid range cam & springs in Er with a 10.5:1 piston. I think you allready have a pipe on there. I think the 400 ex carb is a great improvment. I could here a noticeable louder thump from the thumper when I put the EX carb on my old 85- X. But make sure you open the intake port & carb boot up while you have the head off. Or the carb swap wont make all the difference that it could.

3leggeddog
01-16-2006, 09:01 PM
well the porting is your end of deal bud!!!!!!!,lol.when i riper down you want me to send it that way?

will i notice a decent power increase with the mods you listed?

Dammit!
01-16-2006, 09:13 PM
I can't speak for a 350x but on the 200x I didn't like the mid range cams at all. They just didn't seem to do much. On the 200, the all out racing cams were the way to go. The racing cam (along with the stiffer valve springs and hardened lifters if you need them) have a similar effect as a pipe and port job on a 2-stroke. It changes the powerband towards the top end and lets it rev out a bit more.

200xcellent
01-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Watch out telephone poles! With more power I cant imagine what else you will try to climb. Even with a plus 2 swinger I bet you can still wheelie very easily. Remember how I mentioned gearing today, try new sprockets cause you might find some power in new places.

3leggeddog
01-16-2006, 09:25 PM
thats a good idea chuck,but i like the gearing now.very snappy,and responsive.maybe we should play with it a bit though.a 20 dollar sprocket is far cheaper then 500 dollars of motor work.i still think she needs more rev,and grunt.

3leggeddog
01-16-2006, 09:30 PM
dude i don't need to ride any longer wheelies.i get bored i'm up there so long,lol.i can rideem indefinite,it's fun,but i worry about starving the motor for oil.does that happen on these models?

it will be a while before i rip into this bike,but when i do,you and your magical tools can tear into it.

SpeedBump
01-16-2006, 09:49 PM
The topends were vulnerable to oil starvation. The cam doesn't have bearings. It just sits in the aluminum head and then is held there with the valve cover. I have heard you can send that head/cover out to a machine shop and they can mod it to accept the 300ex/250x cam setup. Mickey Dunlap's FourStroke Tech does it I believe. Not sure on the price. I have also seen an oil supply mod on some (can't remember where) engines. they drill/tap the topend on or near the rockers and run new oil lines to the topend to help with the lack of topend oiling. As long as you DON'T OVER-REV or maintain extemely HIGH RPMs for an extended period of time, you should have no problem running it as is. Put in a new cam, 10.5:1 piston and get Mr.Hall to do some grindin! That thing will more than impress you.

3leggeddog
01-16-2006, 09:51 PM
i don't want it to rip my arms outta there sockect,i better tell jason that.he builds some screamers.but i do want her run.i like how mello it is right now cause it's so managable.thanks for the input guys!!!!!!!!!

SpeedBump
01-16-2006, 10:31 PM
If you don't want to rip your arms outta their sockets....DON'T PUSH THE THROTTLE so hard! DUH!

Honestly, this coming from YOU?

Ok, who are you, and what did you do with Brandon?

3leggeddog
01-16-2006, 10:37 PM
lol,i know,but i haved learned lately that good usable power is better then untamble,hard hittin power.i'm learnin to ride different with the 4 poker.

NOS_350X
01-17-2006, 03:23 AM
Lighten the flywheel. Ronnie does it and youll notice the diffrence, Instant reving. Once you do the mods i would recomend putting in a secondary oil cooler. That depends on your rididng. I had a big problem with overheating before. My one of my X's beats stock R's, and I still have the stock bore, and cam.

list of my mods
Airbox elimanator
K&n
400ex carb
porting and polishing
12:1 with no base gasket
400ex headpipe, With whitebros eseries
Lightened flywheel
2 number hottter on the plug
VP110, or VP *2, or aviation gas
and a 210 main jet,
2ed oilcooler

wolfspider
01-17-2006, 04:45 AM
hi i have a plastic tank on my 350x, plus full dg pipe and uni filter, and i think its very quick, the plastic tank is great, save a lot of weight and holds a tad more fuel i think, definateley a worth while upgrade for riding.:D and you`re right the 350x is king of wheelies:twisted:
steve

3leggeddog
01-17-2006, 06:51 PM
how much was the tank?how is the quality?has it turned yellow?

wolfspider
01-18-2006, 04:35 AM
the quality of the tank is really good, theres no discolouring up till now but i`m always carefull when putting fuel in, i`m not sure but i think its usually in 2 strokes with the oil mix that discolours the tanks.
you can get the tanks off ebay, just type in honda 350x in ebay shops there between 130 and 150 dollars so not cheap but alot cheaper than a nos tank.
hope this helps
steve

max
01-18-2006, 03:20 PM
I DID TO MINE WAS SELL IT. :lol: THING WAS WAY TO SHORT OF REVS FOR CLIMBING HILLS. IN THE TRAILS (FLAT) ITS A SWEET BIKE THOUGH.

B LOOK AT IT THIS WAY. AT LEAST YOU HAVE AN EXCUSE NOT TO CLIMB A HILL. YOUR BIKE IS A CAPTIN TURD.:lol:

ATLEAST YOU CAN STILL WATCH MCA.

3leggeddog
01-18-2006, 06:35 PM
damn max.you jumpin on the hate wagon too!!!!!!!!!!

max
01-19-2006, 08:59 AM
extend the swinger plus 3 and you will be fine. have it ready for next weekend.

tndn92
01-25-2006, 12:21 AM
you want a hillclimber this is my 350x ive not found a rider on a sport quad yet that can keep up with it hillclimbing!!! powder coated frame and swingarm all new plastic powroll 393 kit powroll race cam heavyduty valves & valve springs hardened rockers ported & polished 13:1 compression runs on 110 octane race gas (it stays very cool that way) heavy duty clutch & springs 400ex carb dg xccelator full exhaust system custom made +4 swingarm durablue +4 axle all wheels are itp razor rear tires ac 6 pack rack renthel cr low bars.. 416cc 400ex with pipe cdi box air box lid removed jetted wont come close to keeping up in a drag race i pull him by 1.5-2 quad lengths in a 1/4 mile this is a mean x!!!!!

SpeedBump
01-25-2006, 08:04 AM
:pics: :pics: :pics: