PDA

View Full Version : My Tri-Moto 225DX is Alive!

TRI-MOTO-MAN
01-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Wow,

Thanks to Howdy getting me a near mint pull starter I now have a running trike!
I have no idea how long this thing sat non-running, but it sure is now.

I installed the new pull starter (electric is shot) put some fresh gas in and started pulling. It sputtered to life after about 20 pulls. I reved it up a bit and what do you know it idled perfectly. I didn't even have to clean out the carb.

After that all I did was change the oil. Now it starts on the 1st pull!

Now all thats left to do is change out the swing arm bearings and seals and it will be rideable. Does anyone have any advise on that job? From what I read on the board it can be a real pain. If anyone has experience please help me out.

Thanks,
TRI-MOTO-MAN

ANTI-QUAD
01-16-2006, 06:48 PM
if your talking about axle bearings,,your in for a real treat...they suck. there is a spacer tube about an inch long between the axle nuts and the bearing that is usually frozzen to the axle and if the bearing are oem, there probably frozzen to the axle too...buy a manual and be very patiant..good luck

bearclawchris
01-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Hey glad to hear you got your DX running. I got mine in the spring. It is an '85 225 dxn. I had to change the rear axle bearings right away on mine and didn't have a manual. It was a chore getting mine loose but in the end I was glad I did it myself. It drove out after you take all the hub assemblies brakes and wheels off from your left to right as you were seated on it facing forward. The two spanner type collar nuts seated mine into the bearings. I wacked mine out with a good sized hammer and a piece of round stock brass. My mistake was that I crushed the end of the axle shaft where the hole is drilled for the cotter pin to go through the castle nut that holds the hub assembly on. Once you get the axle loose it is a piece of cake. I had to saw off the end of my axle shaft where it was smashed, redrill it and put a thinner washer on before I could cotter pin the hub on mine. Perhaps ask Howdy what he has done. I need to ask Him some questions myself. You might find it in a manual, but from some of my experiences they always tell it like you can tap it with a rubber hammer and it will just slide out even though it is 20 years old. Good Luck!

edog
01-16-2006, 08:17 PM
I restored my 1985 225 DXN without a manual.

Got any pics?

TRI-MOTO-MAN
01-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah,

The axle bearings are good. I need to replace the bearings on the swing arm. There is a hex scew within a nut. Which do I try to back out first? I have ordered a manual and just need some advise on this paticular job.

Thanks

edog
01-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Undo the nut first,then remove bolt with a allen wrench.

cragster
01-16-2006, 09:36 PM
thats cool! Got any Pics?

TRI-MOTO-MAN
01-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Undo the nut first,then remove bolt with a allen wrench.

Thanks edog,

I'll try that as soon as I can find my 1/2" drive set.

Pics will be up soon!