PDA

View Full Version : Whoa.. SX starter troubles...

bigredhead
01-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Maaaaaaaaan......

I just got done snow blowing the driveway, and SX was begging for a snow run.. so i figure .. why not.

Turn the key.. green light comes on.. push the starter button.. put put put.. nothing.. hit it again. put put put .. normal.. it's cold.. no biggie.

But then....... :eek:

The sucker STICKS.. put put put put put put... no matter what i did .. key OFF, fiddle with the button.. tap the thing.. blow in it.. put put put put..

by now i'm freaking out... :mad: .. mad scramble to remove the rear rack.. find a wrench.. remove the 4 inch bolts.. find a knife.. but the zip ties that hold the plastics to the rack.... put put put put put....... try to remove the seat and of course the seat latch won't give... finally get the seat off.. scramble for a screwdriver....and by now.. it's like put..... .... ..... .. put ... ... ... put........ finally got the battery disconected.

God that sucked.:wondering

slothminx
01-09-2006, 07:30 PM
The solenoid sounds like its taken a poop. Man ive been in the trying to stop it franticallysituation, you can never find the right tool:lol: You have to disconnect the battery to stop that sucker!! :eek:

Unclediezel
01-09-2006, 09:26 PM
It might be a bit ugly------but look into battery disconnects for either automotive or marine use-----It can save a starter--even stop a fire---And unless your using some kind of GPS system----when you arent riding--you dont need the Battery connected anyway-----
As far as your solenoid goes--Let it thaw--and try it again with the plastics off--I bet it got wet and froze---Once its thawed ---a squirt of WD40 should cure your problems

bigredhead
01-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Exactly... i was afraid if the motor stopped turning, the battery/starter/selenoid make a closed circuit and then if the battery is strong enough things start smoking......

or

If the bike started while the starter keeps going... that does not paint a pretty picture in my mind..

ScottZJ
01-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Well we just replaced my starter on my SX and the brushes were totally gone. So you might be in for a new starter to fix the issue. It kinda sounds like its on its last leg.

bigredhead
01-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Oh the starter turns and works fine... When the brushes go you start getting problems with it not turning over when you hit the button.. in my case.. it was turning ..but never stopped !!!!