PDA

View Full Version : custom built trike KZXT650

KZXT650
01-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Hi everyone, thought some might appreciate this.
I built this back in '95 origanally, but tore it all apart about three yrs ago to make it nicer. Now , as it nears completion i figured i'd start to show some of it. I will be updating pics as i take them,.
So, for those who are wondering "what is it?" I'll tell you.
I started out with an old bike my brother owned that i got real cheap after his ex-girlfriend backed over it with her car, that bike being an '81 kawasaki csr 650.
The frame was straight and the engine was fine but the forks, rims,tank, and bars were mangled. I stripped it down to the frame and jigged it up in a mill so i could open up the bottem race sleeve for the steering stem to fit a kxt250 tree bearing.
the top needed to be opened up as well so i could weld in a spacer slug. once that was done the real fun began.
The swingarm..... is stainless steel with dupont duricon bushings at the main bolt. I used the axle,and carrier from the same kxt250 doner trike that the forks and tree came from. the rear sprocket from the kz 650 bolted directly to the hub on the axle. the rear suspension uses a shock from a kx500
The front springs were replaced with modified kz650 fork springs.
Aftermarket plastic is kxf250 rear and kxt250 front. tires are 25x12.50x10 Realtors on the back and a 22x11x10 kenda viper up front.
The only not kawasaki parts are the seatpan (suzuki lt250, cut heated and reformed) and exhaust silencers (off a Ducati 900).
I should have pics with the exhaust hooked up and the machine running soon.

1984kxtTECATE
01-08-2006, 11:23 PM
I like it, although imo the rear sits a little too high. I bet it would be a blast to ride.

IrvSLedman
01-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Damn, I really like that. looks sharpe.

zoomerman
01-09-2006, 12:46 AM
i like it but i think the front forks are not long enough so the handle bars are too low and the back sits too high.

BigGreenMachine
01-09-2006, 01:01 AM
I like it, knarly! I'd love to see some 22inch Hoosiers on that sucker for flattrack duties. Extreme!

hrc85250r
01-09-2006, 01:10 AM
i give you credit, because the actual frame and everything looks pretty solid, which is a rarity among conversions. you need to work on getting the plastic to look like it belongs there, im not trying to be a dick, it really looks like you just set it on the frame to take a picture. also, as other members have said the rear end sits a good 5 or so inches too high, maybe more. other than that it looks like a good grunt machine. those types of machines are awesome in the sand, you can lug them anywhere and do crazy power donuts :w00t:

traxxasx
01-09-2006, 01:46 AM
That engine color is madd sick, i like that meatalic purple. but i think it would alot better if you were to go with 22'' or 20'' in the back. but nice job on the fab. its looke good.

Mike_Ham_250R
01-09-2006, 07:47 AM
IMO that thing looks very well done. Alot of conversions nowadays look butched, but that has good craftsmanship. Keep up the good work.

Mike_Ham_250R
01-09-2006, 07:50 AM
OH, and for the idiots who rated it junk, apparently they have no clue what it takes to do that conversion, especially lining up the seat.

chris200x
01-09-2006, 08:42 AM
That thing is badass! I especially like the bottle of yuengling lager in the background! :Bounce Nice to see another Pa rider here on the boards. :welcome:

RacerRichie
01-09-2006, 08:55 AM
WICKED !!!!!
I'd go with 22's on the back for sure that will lower the rear. I never really liked those tires..................had a set.

LonesomeTriZ
01-09-2006, 10:23 AM
That is a very clean and well biult looking machine. I do not think I have ever seen a street bike conversion look that good. most of them look as though they were done in a trailer park with JB Weld.

Bender
01-09-2006, 11:53 AM
looks great except the back end. what motor are you running?

1984kxtTECATE
01-09-2006, 10:57 PM
For all the people who gave it a POS rating in the pole, howcome (yes your being called out)? Its called constructive critism, if your not going to say what you dont like about it or change about it why vote in the poll. :wondering :confused:

Somekindofjerk
01-09-2006, 11:05 PM
I love the trike, the welding and body is beautifull! But that tiny front tire looks so stupid on it. I understand it needs to be there in order for it to sit level, but i think i would sacrifice sitting level for a regullar sized tires.

Question- did you do all the welding, painting and whatnot yourself?

Tri-ZNate
01-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Looks awesome except like said before raise the front up, maybe put a 25" on front and the gas tank doesnt look right IMO. Doesnt fit the rear fenders right or something.

BigGreenMachine
01-10-2006, 01:22 AM
The rear tires need to go, some smaller agressive mudders are plenty on a T3, since you are using the stock rear end you should have no reason to swap out for some small meats. You know, with the streetbike VIN it'd be half easy to make that sucker street legal. I plan on doing this with a CB one day.

RideRed250R
01-10-2006, 01:28 AM
put some 20 inch tires on it or throw on a lowering link other then that its pretty cool
adam

KZXT650
01-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Hey guys thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. alot of work has been done on my part to build it and its been a labor of love I guess some could say.
I do plan to address the front tire, was looking into 12" cast mags for it, and am thinking of going with a 24" mudlite on front. As for the rear well, those 25" realtors really hook up for me and i have plenty of power to turn them,(hazes tires on asphault) but if i go to the new wheels they will have to go.

The big factor for how far i take this trike is whether i can locate a Durablue axle for it, i've been looking around for some time now, I came across one but the splines on it were wasted.
If i can find a good Durablue axle and a few more poeple get on board for the billet carriers, I plan to put a 750 top end on the engine and big bore it to 810, also at that point add a turbo from a 750 gpz,and have the crank nitrided, lol.

The other reason the rear tires are so big was to gain ground clearance for the rear brake disc, its the larger disc off the street bike. It was one of those things where i had it available and went for it, it really helps to slow me down to,(trike weighs in at just over 600 lbs. and i weigh 200. i do have 20" slicks for it and the disc with them on sits about 3/4" off the ground with me on it. should be fine at the drag strip, but is a no go on the trail. Speaking of trail riding, it does quite well actually, and handles great for its size.

This week i am redoing the wiring on it, and putting new clutch in it as well. with a little luck it'll be ridable by this week end or next. I should have updated pics by this weekend at the very least. I welcome any thought and or input on it in the mean time, and who knows maybe come spring I'll take a road trip to NY and see about getting in on one of those 100 mile loop rides, sounds like fun.

chris200x
01-11-2006, 01:21 AM
Come up to hazleton and i can take yuo on about a 400 mile loop.

p.s. Bring lots of lager!!! lmao

hrc85250r
01-11-2006, 03:36 AM
hey if those axles are the same as mojave's i might have one lying around for ya....

bigredhead
01-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Very well done.. good job !

This is purely a matter of taste, but i prefer the rounded front fender to the square one.. something like a 250R front fender would look better.

I like the look of the motor, it actually looks like it belongs in a trike sorta thing.. some street bike conversions i've seen just look god awful with the heads stickingout the frame..

Pat yourself on the back.. that's a nice home-made trike ! 400cchomemade would be proud !! l.. hey.. anyone hear from him lately ?

traxxasx
01-11-2006, 06:48 PM
they have dura blue axels. but for a 250r and a 185s for 125.00$ so if one of those would fit you would be set for a cheap price. call them up and ask if they have one in stock. 1-800-233-2637

KZXT650
01-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Come up to hazleton and i can take yuo on about a 400 mile loop.

p.s. Bring lots of lager!!! lmao

Hey, I may take you up on coming up to hazleton once I get everything running smooth, its not far from me. Thanx for the offer.
Oh, and I always bring lager lol

And heres an update on pics, I'm working on the wiring. the first one is after I removed about 100' of wire from the harness, the 2nd is about 2 hrs later. still got about 4-8 hrs to go on it.

KZXT650
02-01-2006, 09:11 PM
heres my update finally.....
I have taken the advice on the front tire and replaced the 22x11x10 kenda viper a/t with a 24x11x10 ITP mudlite and am convinced it looks much better now. Now that the frame sits level the back end hooks up HARD. This Machine is a beast!and will beat a person up throwing it around on a trail but is worth the pain the next day. Its surprisingly stable for its size and can be quit tame and nimble from idle through 4000 rpm then then the engine comes up on its cams and all hell breaks loose. Wicked fun for hill climbing and topping out on snow covered highways

Calculated top speed is approx. 130 mph+ hard to pinpoint without a radar or trap set up as i cant measure the tire diameter while theyre spinning at speed. Now all i need is for about a foot of snow to dump on S.Eastern PA and i can take this puppy out and open 'er up on the highway, lmao.

With any luck the rack of pumper carbs will be painted aninstalled and the Hand fabbed stainless exhaust will be on by summer.

The guys i work with have a pool going as to how long til i break myself on it lol, if i make it to the end of the year i win the pool. I'm glad that stupidity is not in my nature

Louis Mielke
02-01-2006, 09:19 PM
That is so freakin sweet!

Tri-ZNate
02-01-2006, 09:28 PM
WoW. Looks alot better now. The trike made that Viper tire made it look like a lawn mower tire. Too bad we dont have dunes here in pa, then you could really test the top speed.

atctim
02-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Congrats man! Awesome job. I'd like to take a spin on that puppy. Looks really good, and I'll bet it runs even better

OZQUAD44
02-05-2006, 03:00 AM
I agree, You've done a nice job, but it sits way too low in the front. Adjust the rear settings (subframe or shock) to get a lower ride height or put a taller front tyre/rim combo on it, but don't put a skinny two wheeler tyre on it. I don't care how good people say their conversions handle with a skinny front tyre. It just looks lame!

kloby
02-05-2006, 09:12 PM
I personally like it, and the way the back end sits makes it look more aggressive. Thanks for the pic :)

WIkid500
02-05-2006, 11:38 PM
that thing is mad cool!! nice work man! lower the back a little, smaller tires in the back, a little bigger one in front and ride it!!!:w00t:

Bender
02-06-2006, 04:56 PM
that pipe might get hot on the foot