PDA

View Full Version : Maier plastic install [350x]

Tucson 200x
01-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Does anyone know what size hole saw to use to drill the 4 holes to mount the front fender. Also any tips or tricks for mounting the rear fenders they supply some brackets for cables???:confused:

ClayW
01-08-2006, 10:01 PM
I dont know the size for the holes. I just took the largest bit I had and drilled it in the right spots. Then wobbled it around a little. Worked fine. On the rear. Thats a diff story. The little dimple spots that look like the spots to drill, are not the spots to drill. I drilled them first and then mounted the fender. It was was to far foward if I remember correctly. I drilled the holes 3/4 of an inch further back. It mounted up right then. There is no easy way. Be prepared to have multiple holes.:(

jeswinehart
01-08-2006, 10:26 PM
I used a spade bit ( or butterfly bit as they are often called ) ,,,, but can't remember what size for sure.
I layed my old plastics on top and used those for a template though ,,,

john

Mike_Ham_250R
01-09-2006, 08:09 AM
WTF?! You have to drill your own holes for aftermarket fenders???

traxxasx
01-09-2006, 09:02 AM
WTF?! You have to drill your own holes for aftermarket fenders???

sure do, on all of em too.

atctim
01-09-2006, 09:15 AM
A quick tip: (How I do it)

I mark the center line with a marker on the old fenders and the new fenders, then I make an intersecting reference line in the same place on both. Then just a few measurements for the old holes, measured from the centerline and the reference line, and simply transfer them over to the new. It makes it a pretty easy job, I've yet to screw up on a set yet. If the holes aren't in the perfect position, just make them a little egg shaped and it will allow for a small margin of error.

chris200x
01-09-2006, 11:19 AM
sure do, on all of em too.

Not true. I never had to drill any holes in the maier plastics on my 200x. Front or rear

ScottZJ
01-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Most of all the newer Maier plastics are pre-drilled. If you happen to get an old set, then you will have to drill them yourself. Ask the company when ordering if they are the newer versions of plastic or not, then decide whether to buy from them.

Tucson 200x
01-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Does anyone know what the L brackets they supply are for or do i just file those in the round can?:confused:

ScottZJ
01-09-2006, 12:29 PM
I do believe those are fender braces for each side. I will have to go look at my 350x and make sure or take a pic, since I havent messed with those suckers in years haha.