PDA

View Full Version : 1980 honda 110 brake removal

cracked junior
01-08-2006, 06:17 PM
the brakes went out on the 110 awhile back. i didnt care as im usualy the only one that rides it, but my brother wanted to know if it would be ok if his son rode it, i said the brakes dont work right so i would say its not ok. so anyways, the pedal travels way to far, almost to the point of the pedal not moving anymore before the brakes grab. so im thinking the shoes are shot(ive had since for over 10 years and never did any work to the brakes). my queston is, how do i get to the brakes, do i take the tires off, remove the 2 nuts on the right side axle, then take the cover off. it still has the chain gaurd and the all the other gaurds on it.

thanks for any help,
jeremy

danteross77
01-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Yes that is what you will need to do. The earlier model 110's require you to remove the axle nuts to get to the brake pads. I think they are 41mm and need to be kind of thin, not hard to remove when you have brakes but if your brakes are not working at all then you will need to hold one wrench while turning the other. You might just check to see if they need adjusting, look for the adjusting screw above your axle carrier, underneath your tail light. If you must change the pads it will be some work especially if they bolts are stuck, use plenty of wd-40. I would definetly just see if you can adjust them first.

Tri-ZNate
01-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Straight from the words of CLYMER.

cracked junior
01-08-2006, 09:59 PM
thats what i didnt want to read. the brakes will grab if you push down enough on the brake pedal. like 3 to 4 inches, before the brakes started being stupid, maybe a inch and the tires locked up. i tried adjusting them before with the linkage back there. i screwed the nut down till it wouldnt move anymore, out of threads, that got me to where the brakes will grab if you push enough. the handle bar mounted brake lever, doesnt do any good, it dont move enough to apply the brakes, the cable isnt broke. thanks for the clymer pages, probably will use them. how are the shoes held in place, are they bolted, got the springs and pins like automotive drum brakes.

Tri-ZNate
01-08-2006, 10:19 PM
just held on by springs