PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with my 250R?

honda200
01-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Hi,

I re installed the motor in my 1984 ATC 250R today, put the swinger back on, put the chain on, hooked the clutch up, rebuilt the carb, and then when i went to kick it over, it will "jam up" then free itself, it almost feels like the piston is actually in total slop inside the cylinder and its jamming against the wall of the cylinder and causing it not to go. I dont get it, before I removed the motor, it would kick over fine. I did a compression check and I have 130 PSI which is plenty, this really has me boggled...

I thought maybe the cylinder was dry, so I sprayed some lube down in there (only a little bit, just to cover the wall) and then kicked it over by hand with the plug out, then when i put the plug in, it still did the same thing. It doesnt feel like crank, because there isnt any "crunch" to the bottom end or anything, and it only does it when the plug is in.

Could it be possible that the whole motor is shifting and not letting me get a good kick on it? I lost a nut and i didnt have any fine thread metric nuts, and the motor does seem to move a little bit when i go to kick it over, but I dont think it would cause it to jam up...

Any thoughts? I want to ride this thing tommorow!!!

Curtis

RideRed250R
01-08-2006, 12:38 AM
its possible that when the motor... shifts alittle it causes the kicker to jam up cause the weight isnt evenly distrubited.. i personally try to kick it over with out having it bolted down tight... also the "jam feeling" if you arent use to having a good runnin R they do have a tad compression so it will take a tad bit of effort to spin it down.. with the plug out the compression would be gone... letting it be easier to kick
Adam

honda200
01-08-2006, 12:43 AM
yes, when the plug is out, i can kick it over like its nothing. but when the plugs in, i actually struggle kicking it, mind you, it feels as though the motor shifts.

I am just going to get a new nut, make sure everything is bolted down real tight and get back to you, maybe its a simple fix that i was overlooking

Curtis

RideRed250R
01-08-2006, 02:04 AM
iam almost positive thats your problem...
adam

BLAZERONE22
01-08-2006, 02:33 AM
Did you leave a rag in the exhaust port? Something sounds pluged up.

IrvSLedman
01-08-2006, 03:12 AM
Yeah, and if the motors a (rebuild idk if it is) there would be alot of compression either way, and with the Plug out.. theres not any compression it all goes out the head.. plug the hole of course your gonna have alot of compression esp with a new piston & rings.. ever owned a kick started before? its probably just a bear to kick.

TtownJoeShow
01-08-2006, 10:40 AM
lol yeah i got mine rebuilt, she tests to b 160 psi and i'm only 120 lb, so she is alittle hard to kick over.
Hey Curtis, did you warm the engine up *Edited**Edited* you did the comp test?

200xman
01-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Make sure you have the right plug. If it's too long it will hit the top of the piston and jam up the motor.

honda200
01-08-2006, 12:06 PM
its a BR9ES, exactly what it came with stock (checked the blue book at work)

I owned a 200X and a bunch of dirt bikes, i think its what adam said, that the motor is twisting, i didnt leave a rag in the exhaust, i checked that (i thought that too)

Curtis

mudbogger
01-08-2006, 12:35 PM
did you have the motor done by someone you trust/have had motors rebuilt from before?Is seems that the trouble is just it has alot of compression, check the piston top through the head to see if it in line-perhaps it isnt in time?Other than that seems the thing has just got to much compression for you to kick it-

honda200
01-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Its not just high compression, it feels like something binding.

I am taking it to work on tuesday and having the mechanic kick it over, and see what he thinks.

Curtis

traxxasx
01-08-2006, 09:11 PM
you probably put your clutch back on wrong.

honda200
01-08-2006, 11:09 PM
no, its hooked up properly, heck, i even tried it without the clutch hooked up first!

Curtis

RedRider_AK
01-08-2006, 11:31 PM
I was thinking improperly installed rings, but since it goes away when you take out the plug, that can't be it.

IrvSLedman
01-08-2006, 11:55 PM
well Im still leaning towards compression by the sounds of it, and if its not well lets just hope you arnt scoring your cyl. walls up.

Ryan

honda200
01-09-2006, 12:19 AM
i pulled the pipe off again, and looked into the cylinder with a mag light as my dad slowly kicked it over, the cylinder looks good, the piston has a few scratches in it (normal wear though)

I am going tommorow night to pick it up (at buddies shop) and take it down to work and let the mechanic kick it over, it really, honestly feels like a bearing piling up when its under load, (ie, compression)

Curtis