PDA

View Full Version : East Coast 350x riders-tires?????

mudbogger
12-30-2005, 08:50 AM
Hi, I was curious as to what size -tire -brand you guys are currently using here in here East Coast,also are most of you guys running stock OEM rims or in any case bealocks by chance?Is the best distributor Rocky mtn these days for tire and rim packages-Money is no object here, I want the best for my riding terrian, thanks for the help guys as usual-Mud :wondering

ScottZJ
12-30-2005, 09:25 AM
I think you would be happy with the ones I have on my 350x. They grab like mad. They really dont slide much though. So if you need to slide then they might be too agressive. But they work great for mud, and I should know since Im in TN and its full of mud hehe.............peace

http://www.fototime.com/{69851BEA-D34D-43A9-9B27-E29CD2C355FA}/picture.JPG

Billy Golightly
12-30-2005, 01:34 PM
Maxxis Alltraks. Very, Very good tires. A little bit on the agressive side but you can still slide with them if you work at it.

mudbogger
12-30-2005, 07:20 PM
I think you would be happy with the ones I have on my 350x. They grab like mad. They really dont slide much though. So if you need to slide then they might be too agressive. But they work great for mud, and I should know since Im in TN and its full of mud hehe.............peace

http://www.fototime.com/{69851BEA-D34D-43A9-9B27-E29CD2C355FA}/picture.JPG

What brand name do you have on yours? I have seen many guys up in nj using GBC DIRT DEVILS, anybody have any testing of these?ALSO-are you guys staying with a a stock rim ?

350Xhilaration
12-31-2005, 10:47 AM
I use douglas .125 rims and kenda knarly 20" tires. I'm not an overly aggressive rider, but when we ride it's always woods, rocks and mud in Western PA. They have held up great so far. They hook well, but don't slide like holeshots I've ran on it in the past. I had 22" Dick Cepek Spider tracs on it with stock rims for a while and they did great, but they're really heavy and don't slide at all.

www.chaparral-racing.com has the package I have on mine now for $172.00 to my door.

If you ride in exclusively muddy conditions you may want to try a spider trac type design.
With Spider Tracs...

http://www.350xriders.com/350x/350x4.jpg

With Knarlys...

http://350xriders.com/after.jpg

TimSr
12-31-2005, 10:58 AM
Aside from super traction and a soft ride, and very rock resistant, All Trax protect the rims very well. I ride all rocky stuff and managed to not eat douglas rims. Bead locks arent necessary. Ive got 9" on one machine and 8" on the other, and the 8" do a better job of protecting the rim.

Huffa
12-31-2005, 11:56 AM
What's a bit strange with the All Traks (Great tires, BTW) is that they advertize you can reverse them and run either direction but then when you get them there are directional arrows on for mounting purposes.

"The Maxxis All-Trak features a dual scooped tread knob to provide superior traction. The tire also offers rugged shoulder knobs to aid in cornering stability. They are designed for use in the most challenging conditions and have been used by Mike Penland in the GNCC race series as well as the Baja 1000.

Features & Benefits
Multidirectional tread design offers traction in both muddy and sandy terrain.
Aggressive shoulder knobs provide excellent side bite and grip.
Multipurpose design offers versatile application options. "

I never tried mine opposite of the arrows, did anyone else?

This is a 22X11X8.

Billy Golightly
12-31-2005, 02:57 PM
I just wish they came in a 20in version...man that'd be the best tire ever if it did. The 22's are nice but for some applications its just a little bit much.

mudbogger
12-31-2005, 04:49 PM
Do you guys see any advantage to running a 6 ply tire?espec for like rocky coal mines that are in Central PA area?
It was my thinking the beadlocks would be great for theose trails flats-we all knoiw how much of a pain in the ass it can be when you miles out and that dam bead wont come off the rim!!

DeePa
12-31-2005, 05:57 PM
i use razrs 6 ply and they havent failed me yet

Huffa
12-31-2005, 06:55 PM
I always refer to the All Tracks as a 2 ply that thinks it's a 6! It is one tough tire. Having more plies doesn't absolutly mean it will be more pucture resistent then a 4 or even 2. It depends what the plies are made out of.

Huffa
12-31-2005, 06:57 PM
I just wish they came in a 20in version...man that'd be the best tire ever if it did. The 22's are nice but for some applications its just a little bit much.

Yea, having too much grip can be a problem sometimes. They cater to a bigger motor for sure.

Huffa
12-31-2005, 06:59 PM
Do you guys see any advantage to running a 6 ply tire?espec for like rocky coal mines that are in Central PA area?
It was my thinking the beadlocks would be great for theose trails flats-we all knoiw how much of a pain in the ass it can be when you miles out and that dam bead wont come off the rim!!

Well if Maxxis states " They are designed for use in the most challenging conditions and have been used by Mike Penland in the GNCC race series as well as the Baja 1000" , I'd say they are plenty good enough for what your looking for! :beer

mudbogger
01-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the info-I have used Mazzis Razors before on my Raptor and I loved them, I was though unhappy with the wear I got from them-I used the Maxxis Suretraks on my Warrior and was so happy with them I was going to try them, I am not against going with a ITP holeshot but as with the Razors the tread didn't wear as well as I had hoped for over the long term-I guess I'll try the Rocky Mtn tire deal package they offer and see what they have going presently.I was also wondering the sizes you guys run, something near stock like a 22x11x9?or the stock 22x10x9?
what rim sizes do you guys use?
9x9? 10x9?Can you use a 9x9 rim on a 22x11x9 tire?:rolleyes:
Rocky Mtn has a good package deal for tires and rims currently-arond 300.00 with shipping for top of the line tires and rims-give or take a dollar or 2-
I ride in such varying conditions, rocks, mud, coal, sand dunes, hills and basic trail riding so it is a pretty big deal that the tires I get are a good all around tire-Again thanks for the info, tech ideas, you guys are the best!!!

88 Turbo Coupe
01-01-2006, 02:40 PM
I have a set of Kenda Vipers 22 11 8 on Mitchell wheels on my R. They are similar to the Maxis all tracs but less expensive. Just got back from trail and track riding in the mud. They hooked up real nice with 4 psi. The Vipers have more of a round crown instead of flat one. Has a little less contact patch. Makes it easier to break em loose.

mudbogger
01-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Thanks- I have tryed the search here for the bolt pattern(i/e 4x110) and cannot locate it, am I right in the 4x110 rear bolt pattern size for a 85-86 350x rim or is that wrong?

mudbogger
01-01-2006, 11:47 PM
I made the decision to go with the GBC DIRT DEVILS, I liked the 6 ply rating and have used them on my 350 odysseys in past times and the wear to date is far superior then my Razors, holeshots .The overall terrian suites me and my riding areas well and I went for the ITP baja rims from rocky mtn atv, cost me with shipping,chrome valve stems and mounting $300.07:crazy:.Alittle much for some, but as I said I wanted to invest the money and get a good set of tires and rims, it was a pretty big thing for me-thanks for the replies on the thread to all, Mud.:rolleyes:

TimSr
01-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Ply is the number of laters and doesnt necessarily have anyting to do with thickness or puncture resistance. Ive got 12 year old All Trax on my TriZ that barely show any signs of wear and have never been punctured. They get ridden a lot more than your average rider, and suffer much more abuse with the rockiest most treacherous terrain. They are a two ply tire, and will stand up to any 6 ply. Where they have the advantge is that while super thick, they are a fairly soft ride, and wont beat you to death. They are also pretty light for as thick as they are. In fairness, Ive not ridden on GBC Dirt Devils to compare but Im wondering if they are like Blackwaters - Like riding on a rock.

mudbogger
01-02-2006, 05:55 PM
I'll do a ride report on them for you, I have the old set of 2 plys on a set of rims that I can put on for the testing, I would imagine the 6 ply is a stiffer ride, but I have always had bad luck with any tire under the 6 ply rating, it may be coincedence??punctures are the main trouble for me-and being so far away from camp in most cases!!!!:)

Billy Golightly
01-02-2006, 06:00 PM
I've only ever ran 2 ply tires myself actually and I've yet to puncture a tire while out riding. Had a couple get holes that needed to have air put in them, but thats probably from nails and stuff. Haven't had one completely lose air before.

mudbogger
01-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Really? Honestly, I have run the 2 plys and had nothing but bad luck with them, numerous punctures and after time the 10 plugs per tire doesnt cut it(period of years).I do alot of trail riding thats not cleared,tree covered and heavy shale hill clims, mabye I am running to much pressure in them for the conditions that present them selves per chance?

Billy Golightly
01-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Yeah...all of my OEM tires and stuff I only ever had problem with just minor little places on them. Nothing that a little bit of slime didn't seal right up. I usually run 3.5-4 psi most of the time. Now that I've said that though I'll probably shread one on my next ride out :lol:

TimSr
01-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Really? Honestly, I have run the 2 plys and had nothing but bad luck with them, numerous punctures and after time the 10 plugs per tire doesnt cut it(period of years).I do alot of trail riding thats not cleared,tree covered and heavy shale hill clims, mabye I am running to much pressure in them for the conditions that present them selves per chance?

My point was not to tout the virtues of 2 ply tires. There are a wide range of tires and tire types that are "2 ply". Some puncture very easily and some are just as durable as your multilayer tires. My whole point is that the number of "plys" does not necessarily mean anything. Im saying dont let "2 ply" be a deciding factor. You have not mentioned any specific brand or model of two ply tire that you are talking about that you had problems with, so nobody can tell you what went wrong. Im saying, if you had problems, it wasnt because it was a "2 ply". It was because it was simply a bad tire choice. Im not saying Dirt Devils are a bad choice, but if you think your going to end up with multiple punctures with All Trax because just because they are a 2 ply, its a very wrong assumption. Ive run them on my TriZ for 12 years, on my TRX250 utility for 6 years, and the pair on my Quad-Z were also on my TRX250R for a total of 5 years. I punctured one in 2000 on my utility with a nail. Actually, it was 3 nails, but the other two bent over. All of them still have excellent tread showing very little wear.

mudbogger
01-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Tim, I didnt take your comments the wrong way and are sorry if I expressed myself in the wrong way-I do apprec the replies back and to be honest with you I did have the wrong impression of the 2 plys till this thread, thanks much for the explanation of the "plys", I do apprec it greatly.