PDA

View Full Version : tri-z weak spark

bootheeltri-z
12-29-2005, 01:26 AM
hey does anyone know how to test the ignition coil on the tri-z? It has a very weak spark and then sometimes it won't spark at all . Or does any one know where i can find the information.

TeamGeek6
12-30-2005, 07:47 PM
Yep, there isnt much I dont know abotu ignition coils, including how to design them. The first best info is to NOT change the coil, its rarely ever the problem.

Unless you have special electronic equipment, you cant test it accurately. I do have it and/or can bench test the whole ignition and repair it. The most likely problem is wiring. The CDI plug was the fault on my 250R, it did the same thing.

You can measure from the spark plug cap to either small terminal with an ohmmeter and should get about 10,000 ohms, but you cannot check the primary winding of the coil, its resistance is too low. The inductance is whats important, not the resistance.

slothminx
12-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Rarely is, but can be so dont tell the dude to rule it out!. Take the coil off and inspect the casing. Check out my thread on a very similar problem too http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=44850&highlight=pics+tri-z+coil

03 ORANGE SHEE
12-31-2005, 12:51 AM
a new coil is only $40 , or try a 98 grizz 600 coil, it provides a hotter spark, its $40 too!

twgranger
12-31-2005, 03:06 AM
I had to change the coil on my z too. It keep breaking up in the high rpms. Did it worse when it got hotter. The last time i checked for a new coil for the tri-z it was around $60 through yamaha.

TimSr
12-31-2005, 10:47 AM
Coil rarely fails. Did you try a new plug? Assuming you did, the next place to is at the plug boot. The boot is eaisest to check by starting the machine and spraying water directly on the plug. If it spits and sputters replace the $3 plug boot. Its a common failure. Do the same to the coil while youre there. Most high voltage components fail due to breakdown of the insulation. The next place to look is under the flywheel. Ive had problems with the woodruff key shearing off. Ive ended locktiting the shaft when I put it on now. Also check for wires rubbing the flywheel, water, and other obvious things while your in there.

These are the most common failures on the Z electrical, and the cheapest to check and fix so Id suggest doing them before buying coils and CDIs.

Greasing all wire plug in connections is a good idea on ANY ATV.

Mosh
12-31-2005, 11:23 AM
Coil rarely fails. Did you try a new plug? Assuming you did, the next place to is at the plug boot. The boot is eaisest to check by starting the machine and spraying water directly on the plug. If it spits and sputters replace the $3 plug boot. Its a common failure. Do the same to the coil while youre there. Most high voltage components fail due to breakdown of the insulation. The next place to look is under the flywheel. Ive had problems with the woodruff key shearing off. Ive ended locktiting the shaft when I put it on now. Also check for wires rubbing the flywheel, water, and other obvious things while your in there.

These are the most common failures on the Z electrical, and the cheapest to check and fix so Id suggest doing them before buying coils and CDIs.

Greasing all wire plug in connections is a good idea on ANY ATV.
my flywheel key sheared off last week after 1 hour run time.the bike would not start,it would just backfire.tim,do you just use blue locktight on the crank shaft,then slip the flywheel on?