PDA

View Full Version : Not runing right, choke question

Mudder F er
12-28-2005, 11:35 AM
I got a 200s motor on a 200x body. I have a brand new carb(200s) I've only used the carb once about 8 months ago and the bike ran perfectly. Now it starts right up, 1 pull and idles when the choke is up. When I lower the choke it bogs. If I ride a little while choke up I cant open up all the way because it bogs so when I go to open the choke it still bogs. What can cause this? Thanks

Yamaha Tri-Moto
12-28-2005, 03:30 PM
maby *Edited* should check the idle screw on the carb sounds like *Edited**Edited* runnin rich. but im not sure.

Mudder F er
12-28-2005, 03:35 PM
I played with the idle screw to the point that I have it almost all the way in and it still sputters when I give it full throttle and the choke is open. The throttle needle is all the way up also.

freewheel3
12-28-2005, 05:05 PM
I played with the idle screw to the point that I have it almost all the way in and it still sputters when I give it full throttle and the choke is open. The throttle needle is all the way up also.
Try lowering the throttle needle. Put the clip in the 2nd or 3rd notch from the top & see what happens.

750fl
12-28-2005, 06:01 PM
Also sounds like you might not be getting enought fuel in that carb. take it apart clean it and see if that helps. might also be a glogged fuel line. Are you running a fuel filter.:confused:

Mudder F er
12-28-2005, 09:07 PM
The needle is all the way down (bottom notch) carb is clean brand new, no gas filter. Could it be a jetting issue? Thanks

twoodward15
12-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Is it clean as in it was only run once 8 months ago or clean as in you completely disassembled it yesterday and cleaned EVERYTHING with carb cleaner? I think you need to richen it up after you clean out the tube with all those little holes that the main jet screws inot!

MTS
12-28-2005, 09:55 PM
The needle is all the way down (bottom notch) carb is clean brand new, no gas filter. Could it be a jetting issue? Thanks
what colour is the plug? is it running on the same motor as 8 months ago? im starting to think you may have an air leak,,, but check the plug first...

freewheel3
12-29-2005, 12:03 AM
First you said the throttle needle was all the way up then you said it is all the way down. If the clip is in the bottom notch, it is all the way up. This will make it run very rich.
Put it in the 2nd or 3rd notch from the top. This will lean it out.

Mudder F er
12-29-2005, 12:37 AM
wait im getting mixed signals. The neadle is all the way up bottom notch, but I put it there because I thoght I needed more gas. The plug it dark but not wet. Its burned. I checked for air leaks and cant find one, any suggestions on how to find leaks? How could I run rich if the bike idles great when the choke is closed? thanks for the help fellas.:beer

N5HNY
12-29-2005, 01:07 AM
If the trike ran perfectly eight months ago you don't need to change anything.

If you took the carb back off after you ran it, you may have old fuel residue in the carb as stated in an earlier post. There is always some fuel left somewhere even if you drained the float bowls.

Gasoline can turn into a type of sticky gooey varnish. It don't take much to trash a carb.

Put the carb back on and run some carb cleaner you pour into the tank. One bottle costs about $1. Pour the whole thing in the tank, run it, and see what happens.

It may take running it a bit to clear it out.

If this don't work, look for vacuum leaks between the card and intake manifold.

If none of this works you are not out much and then you can begin to think about adjustments.

Mudder F er
12-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Im gonna go up in main jet size. I had a 95 on.

longbedGTs
09-14-2006, 08:54 PM
I just got the 82 running(thanks syko) and it is having the same problem described by Mudder. I have the main slide needle in the 4th notch (2nd from top). Moving it down will enrichen the mixture, correct?
I think there is also an air leak between the carb and the black rubber piece.
To richen the mixture, what direction do you turn the little screw on the bottom of the carb, in front of the float bowl? Counter clockwise, right?