PDA

View Full Version : 250ES Power Outlet

BurkC
12-27-2005, 11:14 PM
I have a question about the power outlet on my 250ES. I wan't to use it, don't really know why or what for but I want to use it since it is there. I wired a 400 watt power inverter into the accesory plug. It will run little stuff like a light or other very small amperage items, but stuff like a drill or grinder, etc. trip the overload. Do I need a larger inverter or is the charging system too small to run larger stuff?

Give me some examples of how some of you use the power outlet. I am sure Mr. Honda had something in mind when he put it on there. A cigaretter adapter doesn't really do it for me becasue the stuff I want to use doesn't use that kind of adapter.

Anyway, lets get a list going of setups that you guys use.....

BurkC

jeswinehart
12-27-2005, 11:27 PM
I took off the stock outlet and wired in a cigarettee (sp.?) lighter. Didn't even need to change the small amp. fuse either and works just fine.
Another friend of mine has a hondaline type of spot light that plugs into the original outlet and it works great.
I use a small converter once for a coffeee pot and it would do the same thing ,,, trip out and it was in my vans cigarettee light.

john

N5HNY
12-28-2005, 12:39 AM
Look at your wiring. Just about all the wiring on your Big Red is about 18# or 20# ga. This just not enough to run an inverter.

You would have to run some heavy 12# or 10# gauge wire right off your battery. I don't think your battery would last too long and I'm not sure your charging system would keep up.

The Big Red's electrical system is designed to run lights and charge the battery. I know they put an accessory plug on there, but I'm sure it's to run something other than an inverter.

When I got mine, it had a winch on it. My neighbor who gave me the Big Red as a freebie wanted the gun rack and winch back.

I often wondered how many amps a winch would pull off the electrical system. When they get bogged down they can pull a lot of amps.

broook
12-28-2005, 09:40 AM
I had to winch my big red about 15ft the other day with a 2000lb winch. The trike cut off and I couldn`t get it into neutral to start it back up so I hauled it through the bog with the wheels locked up. The battery started it up ok after I got it out.
Would have felt better if the motor had been running though.

TeamGeek6
12-30-2005, 08:04 PM
400 watts AC is about equivalent to 14 volts DC at 28 amp. you will NEVER get that kind of power from that charging system. Youll be lucky to get 5. The wiring is not the problem, the connectors and stator are.

BurkC
12-30-2005, 10:38 PM
That is what I figured. Another poster on the site said he is running a winch on his Big Red. How do you think he does that? Would you have to run new (larger) wires directly from the battery?

Burk

N5HNY
12-31-2005, 01:41 AM
When I removed the winch from my Big Red, there were two wires running direct to the battery.

Earlier I left one thing off. The electrical system has to run the ignition too.

Thats why when you max it out it will kill the engine. These stators are getting harder and harder to find from what I am told. might be a good idea not to over load them.

I better idea might be to get a battery box with an automotive type battery to carry around when you need to do small jobs. You can get a group 22 that is small and would not load down a Big Red weight wise.

broook
12-31-2005, 09:42 AM
That is what I figured. Another poster on the site said he is running a winch on his Big Red. How do you think he does that? Would you have to run new (larger) wires directly from the battery?

Burk

That would be me. The wires that come with the winch are heavy and go to the solenoid positive and ground to the frame. This is not something I use on a daily basis, [I hope] although the original idea was to operate the plow.I since found that the manual system works faster for the plow. So far I have had no ill effects useing the winch but then again you never know what will happen to a 20 year old machine.