PDA

View Full Version : Honda-OHTSU tires

ATCT
12-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Does anyone know beside Chaparral Motorsports and BikeBandit where you can purchase OHTSU tires? I'm trying to avoid Chaparral's $16 shipping overage charge (why they have this for one tire that is crushed into a 1' x 1' cube, I do not know).

I'm looking for a 23.5 x 8-11 front tire, which, for the most part, is no longer made. I'm thinking of going with the 85-86 250R tire set-up/tread pattern. It appears to come in 23" and 24". Any suggestion on which one to go with?

ATCWRENCH
12-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Kenda K284 FRONT MAX A/T is a tire that is the factory size but it is far from the original tread pattern. its like 47 dollar from american motorcycle tire(AMT).

jeswinehart
12-27-2005, 05:06 PM
You can order them from any HONDA dealer. I got my front one for like $55 for my 350X. The tread pattern is the same as the OEM and even though it says 24" it's identical to the 23½" in height. I also have an OEM 83-84R front tire that is the Dunlop manufacturer. It has the HOnda inventory tag and everything!

Bruce

ATCT
12-27-2005, 05:15 PM
You can order them from any HONDA dealer. I got my front one for like $55 for my 350X. The tread pattern is the same as the OEM and even though it says 24" it's identical to the 23½" in height. I also have an OEM 83-84R front tire that is the Dunlop manufacturer. It has the HOnda inventory tag and everything!

Bruce

How long did it take them to get it to you? My local Honda dealer is horrible. So bad, in fact, that it's worth paying the $16 extra from Chaparral so I don't have to deal with them. Otherwise, that's a pretty good idea as I'm sure you don't have to pay for shipping.

ScottZJ
12-27-2005, 05:31 PM
I just ordered mine from service honda and it came in about 5-7 days. Heck I just got my 3 big red OEM tires from them in less than a wk during the holidays.

ATCT
12-27-2005, 05:42 PM
I just ordered mine from service honda and it came in about 5-7 days. Heck I just got my 3 big red OEM tires from them in less than a wk during the holidays.
Hmm. I wonder if Service Honda could order this tire, because essentially the original 23.5" tire is "discontinued". Any ideas on this?

ScottZJ
12-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Yes its stated that one is disco'd but the 24 is available and it measures the same as the 23.5".

RichinMO
12-27-2005, 08:02 PM
I would order from Service Honda before Chapparal. I order some Ohtsus from Chap and they ended up backordered and after 3 weeks I cancelled. I bet all they do is order from a Honda dealer and mark up the price. Might as well cut out the middle man. I've ordered all my Ohtsu tires from Service Honda or my local dealer. I'd go with the 23 inch on a 250R and the 24 inch on a 350X, that's what I did anyway.

grundlegrabber
12-27-2005, 08:17 PM
The Ohtsu tires that are the stock replacements for the '85-86 R and 350X are still available from service honda (www.servicehonda.com). They can and will send them to you and their shipping is usually reasonable. I thought they were 23", not 24", but in any case they are identical to the originals. Any Ohtsu that you can get from chapparral you can also get from service honda. Last time I checked, I think their prices were about the same, although shipping might be cheaper from service honda.

ATCT
12-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks guys. I'll check with Service Honda then.

thedeatons
12-27-2005, 09:04 PM
Another option on this:

I absolutely refuse to support Service Honda simply because of their horrifying interface... www.bikebandit.com is not only a local So-Cal company (San Diego) but also will only charge you $6 for all three ATV tires shipped to your door.... I have ordered so many heavy items from them, and their shipping is always $6. Their main customer service rep's name is Ryan, and he is always helpful with any of my questions.... Try them if you get the chance. You should get stuff pretty quick from them being quasi-local (L.A.). Just type the Honda part number into their parts wizard... GO $6 SHIPPING!
James

ATCT
12-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Another option on this:

I absolutely refuse to support Service Honda simply because of their horrifying interface... www.bikebandit.com is not only a local So-Cal company (San Diego) but also will only charge you $6 for all three ATV tires shipped to your door.... I have ordered so many heavy items from them, and their shipping is always $6. Their main customer service rep's name is Ryan, and he is always helpful with any of my questions.... Try them if you get the chance. You should get stuff pretty quick from them being quasi-local (L.A.). Just type the Honda part number into their parts wizard... GO $6 SHIPPING!
James

I like BikeBandit, but I've found them a bit high on the pricing side. With tires, they seem to be a more than Chapparal, but then there's the cheap shipping, so they end up being cheaper overall. However, the problem is, I don't have a part number as the "original" front tires have been 'discontinued' and replaced by either a same treaded 23" or 24" tire. I'm not sure why they did this, but it's the case.

Also, if my memory serves me correctly, they have no phone number posted on their web page. If you want to talk to anyone there, you have to use their live web-based platform. From my experience on it, all those people can do it look up the part number you give them and not much else, including telling you part availability. If you can find me a phone number, I would be more than happy to give them a call and then my business.