PDA

View Full Version : steering stem bearings

ATCT
12-22-2005, 04:35 PM
Has anyone out there switched from the stock Honda individual ball bearings in their steering stem to the sealed bearings I have seen on eBay? Can you use the original races? Do you need any other parts with them?

I've been looking at OEM bearings and the individual parts are going to cost me a fortune if I go that route.

ATCWRENCH
12-22-2005, 04:44 PM
if you are talking about the tapered stem bearings? if so, get them, they are very nice and takes a lot of drag off of the steering at slow speeds. if you get the whole kit off of ebay it will come with the proper races for the bearings, so you have to smack the original races out so the new ones will go in.

ATCT
12-22-2005, 04:57 PM
if you are talking about the tapered stem bearings? if so, get them, they are very nice and takes a lot of drag off of the steering at slow speeds. if you get the whole kit off of ebay it will come with the proper races for the bearings, so you have to smack the original races out so the new ones will go in.
That's what I was worried about. I knew I should have had them remove the original races before I powder coated the frame.

Sounds like they're way better though. I guess I can take it to my local repair guy and see if he can carefully take them out.

edog
12-22-2005, 05:10 PM
You should remove the races bofore you powdercoat.You can do it with a long metal odject.Just bang them out from the other side.The needle bearing setup from Moose Racing is what i used on my 1985 200X.They work great.

ATCT
12-22-2005, 05:42 PM
You should remove the races bofore you powdercoat.You can do it with a long metal odject.Just bang them out from the other side.The needle bearing setup from Moose Racing is what i used on my 1985 200X.They work great.
Sadly, it has already been painted. Someone talked me out of removing them (I guess they thought I would put the same one's back in.) I'm sure it won't be that horrible (I hope).

I'll check out Moose Racing's bearing kit. Thanks.

edog
12-22-2005, 08:30 PM
Just make shure the powder coating is dry before you do it.
Just take your time.

ATCT
12-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Just make shure the powder coating is dry before you do it.
Just take your time.
Will do. Thanks.

ATCT
12-22-2005, 08:54 PM
edog, where did you get your Moose Racing bearings? I've been looking online and have only found one place that carries them @ $39.95. Is this about right?

Also, it doesn't appear to come with races. Do these drop into the old races? The description makes it sound as if they do, although I'm guessing it won't be that easy.

Last, it says they don't come with seals. Are seals required for these? Or can I run 'em as is?

ATCWRENCH
12-23-2005, 11:11 AM
if you get the all balls kit off of ebay they have the races with them. the pic doesnt show the races seperate but on the bearing it self. the bearing kit on ebay is about the same price as the moose kit.

ATCWRENCH
12-23-2005, 11:47 AM
here is an ALLBALLS steering stem bearing kit on ebay 4586224780.
atvaddiction has them, I have delt with these guys before and they are very reliable.

the 2 things that you have to do to swap bearing styles is to get the old bearing seal taken off of the bottom of the steering stem. then you have to have the new lower bearing pressed of the stem. the inner race of the bearings themselves are different from each other(top and bottom).

edog
12-23-2005, 08:01 PM
Is this going on a 200x?