PDA

View Full Version : BIG Jetting problems

thebutelr
12-22-2005, 03:47 PM
Ok here's the deal, I just installed a 172 main jet in my 350x because the 152 wasn't big enough to even color the plug and now when I start it it will only run with the choke all the way on and it has to be full throttle or it'll bog out and die out. Also when I had it running last night the header was glowing red and I couldn't get it running anything past 1/2 throttle when I was actually out riding it. What does this sound like to you guys? Oh yeah and when I took the plug out after revving it up in the barn and tryin to keep it from dyin it didn't have a ton of carbon build up on it and a patch of the porcelain was white and the tip of the plug was a light greyish color. Thanks. Later.

BigGreenMachine
12-22-2005, 03:56 PM
What have you done mod wise? Is it the stock carb? Too many variables that you haven't told us.

Wickedfinger
12-22-2005, 05:19 PM
Why did you jump so many sizes?. I don't recall what the stock main is but I would start with stock and up-Jet one size at a time. Red header "usually" means you are still too lean - but the 1/2 to mid stumble sounds like you are way too rich ..... as BGM said - what mods have you done to the motor?. Pipe, airbox mods all affect.

slothminx
12-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Could the new jet he put in have crud in it? that would make it not want to go over half throttle and run lean:wondering:

Tri-ZNate
12-22-2005, 05:29 PM
wow stock is only a 140 main. Why did you throw a 172 in?

conig
12-22-2005, 05:32 PM
when I had mine jetted wrong and too rich my header turned orange. I thought I was too lean so I jetted up some more and it got worse.

I think it may do it rich or lean, even though I always heard lean was hot.

Wickedfinger
12-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Leaner is always hotter - however, I have seen where substancial carbon build up on a header pipe, caused by an engine running too rich, will lead to hot spots, and cause the pipe to glow - but - usually only in the first few inches. Lean cherry pipes will glow for further down the pipe.

Unclediezel
12-22-2005, 06:08 PM
Just for giggles----
If you put the old jet back in---will it run????
Retarded valve -or ignition timing can also cause glowing exhaust- The leaner jets can mask an existing problem elsewhere----go back to basics before condemning anything---Also---Look carefully at the jet--it may have been stamped incorrectly, or it may have been damaged during handling-shipping -installation--Etc

trimoto55
12-22-2005, 06:44 PM
all 4 stroke headers glow in the dark i race motocross and at arenacrosses at night they all glow in the dark thats nothing to worry about...hope that helps ya

thebutelr
12-22-2005, 10:46 PM
Thanks for your replies guys. Now on to the jetting. The mods I have for this bike are: supertrapp exhaust running 12 discs, k&n with no lid, 10.5:1 wiseco, and a lower grind web cam. The reason I jumped up so high on the main jet is because the 152 I had in there wasn't big enough to put any color at all on my plug when I would do a plug chop (and yes I was doing it correctly). I'm thinkin now that it wasn't my jet I put in there that made it act weird, because earlier today I went ahead and put the 152 I had in there and still the exact same symptoms. The bike runs really hot and can only be started with the choke on all the way and won't stay running unless its 3/4-WOT. With these things said, what do you all think it could be? Just throw out ideas at me because I'm totally stumped. Thanks. Later.

BigGreenMachine
12-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Sounds like when you put it back together you set the timing wrong. Might want to clean the carb and check all passageways and if that fails then check the timing.

Tri-ZNate
12-22-2005, 11:01 PM
any idea what your elevation is? I know some guys run 200 main jets because they are so far up.

Unclediezel
12-22-2005, 11:08 PM
Definitely check timing-------You have all the symptoms of retarded timing---Did it backfire at all?

thebutelr
12-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Sounds like when you put it back together you set the timing wrong. Might want to clean the carb and check all passageways and if that fails then check the timing.

My timing was off after I rebuilt the motor so I had to go back and take the head apart again and that time I checked and checked to make sure that the timing was dead on, so thats not my problem. This bike ran great before I messed around with the needle clip, then it just all went to sh!t. Since then I've put it back in the stock position but no luck. Any more ideas before I go and tear the carb back apart?

thebutelr
12-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Definitely check timing-------You have all the symptoms of retarded timing---Did it backfire at all?

No it doesn't backfire anymore, it did really bad when it was out of time a little bit right after I put the motor back together the first time.

Unclediezel
12-22-2005, 11:32 PM
Did you swap in a NEW plug????

thebutelr
12-22-2005, 11:48 PM
Yeah thats one of the first things I tried. Still the exact same crap goin on, ughhh this is such a headache.

Unclediezel
12-23-2005, 12:00 AM
http://deepa.recongamer.com/hondamanuals/85n86atc350xservicemanual.pdf

In case you dont have it-- I would go back and check valve and Ignition timing -one more time----
Just occurred to me---Did the needle clip fall out-----and retract the needle into the slide???

thebutelr
12-23-2005, 01:30 PM
I took the carb back off last night and checked to see if that had happened. The needle was fine so later today I'm gonna try my old carb and see if its only carb problems and not something else. EDIT: Oh yeah forgot to tell you that I do have that manual.

MTS
12-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Are you sure you dont have a leaky Head/base/intake gastket? when its running, spray some Carb clean around the head gasket basegasket area see if it bogs out and dies, just an idea. cause a 152-172 is a HUGE gap for the little mods that you do have.

thebutelr
12-24-2005, 07:53 PM
I just got done taking the carb off again and noticed a HUGE rip in the intake boot. Its a little bit more than half way around the base where the rubber part meets the hard plastic. Do you guys think this could be whats causin all my problems?

Dammit!
12-24-2005, 08:13 PM
I just got done taking the carb off again and noticed a HUGE rip in the intake boot. Its a little bit more than half way around the base where the rubber part meets the hard plastic. Do you guys think this could be whats causin all my problems?

I'd say you found the problem, yes.

thebutelr
12-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Good deal, ok another question, do any you or anyone else on this forum know if a intake boot off of a 92' 250x will work for the 350x??

NOS_350X
12-25-2005, 04:56 AM
I belive they will bolt up but they are smaller, so you would need to go to work with a die grinder to make it flow properly. And for all of you making comments on the jetting i have a 220 main on one of my X's There is no way i was going to go up 2 at a time from138 (stock) all the way up there. You make big jumps up so your not running the bike lean, go too rich and work your way down.