PDA

View Full Version : Info on having an ATC.

welfareglasses
12-22-2005, 01:04 AM
Can someone let me in on the legal responsibilities of buying and owning a legal ATC. Do you have to have insurance? Or a licence. Lets say someone just sold you a used ATC and has the pink slip and the tags are just a few years old. They just sign the pink slip and its yours, what do you have to do after they sign it over? What would it cost to get them up to date and what do you have to go through at the dmv. Or what if someone sells you an ATC used with pinkslip, what do you have to do through the dmv to get the ATC to be yours and what does it cost to keep it tagged and registered? What all do I have to know to own a ATC and not get into trouble?

mymint87
12-22-2005, 01:10 AM
cali?....no license
no insurance

w/title?
take the signed title to the dmv...pay a small fee (with a couple years non registered) you'd probably pay around 80 bucks

no title?....
go to dmv...apply for title/registration...you have to get vin # verified by a CHP.....that too is less than 80 bucks

upkeep on registration is about 25 bucks per year

ATCT
12-22-2005, 01:14 AM
Can someone let me in on the legal responsibilities of buying and owning a legal ATC. Do you have to have insurance? Or a licence. Lets say someone just sold you a used ATC and has the pink slip and the tags are just a few years old. They just sign the pink slip and its yours, what do you have to do after they sign it over? What would it cost to get them up to date and what do you have to go through at the dmv. Or what if someone sells you an ATC used with pinkslip, what do you have to do through the dmv to get the ATC to be yours and what does it cost to keep it tagged and registered? What all do I have to know to own a ATC and not get into trouble?

(I put this in the first thread, but since there is a duplicate, I figured it might just get erased, so I posted it again in the thread with more views. Sorry Howdy.)

Some members might be able to give you a quick reply on this, but if you want specifics and by the numbers law, go to this site and it will give you everything you need to know about registering an Off-Road vehicle in CA, including transferring title.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/offhighway.htm

N5HNY
12-22-2005, 03:57 AM
I don't want to promote illegal activity but.........

I have only seen one bike with a title. That was a friend of mine who bought a 200X brand new.

All the other ATCs never had a title when they changed hands. Most of the ones I have seen changing owners were basket cases or non runners. It was understood that no one was gonna "tag" them so who cared.

The only thing that bothers me about all this is the fact that a lot of these old machines were stolen at some time. It was really bad around here in the 80s. The few people who I knew that ran ATCs didn't have them very long before they were stolen. Mostly when left on trailers.

I understand that it is still buiness as usual for the quad crowd.

I don't have a title for my Big Red and don't plan on getting one either. I got it from my neighbor and I would like to think he is a straight up guy.

penguin
12-22-2005, 06:17 AM
I have bought many atc's. Every one I bought didnt have a pinkslip, so I take every one to the CHP for a vin check. If its clean then just take the paperwork to DMV to register it. I only had one come back Stolen. It was a 1984 200x. They kep it for about 2 months then called me to come get it. It was stolen 14 years ago and couldnt find the original owner. I like to have all my ATC's registered so I can take it anywhere.

ATCT
12-22-2005, 11:49 AM
I have bought many atc's. Every one I bought didnt have a pinkslip, so I take every one to the CHP for a vin check. If its clean then just take the paperwork to DMV to register it. I only had one come back Stolen. It was a 1984 200x. They kep it for about 2 months then called me to come get it. It was stolen 14 years ago and couldnt find the original owner. I like to have all my ATC's registered so I can take it anywhere.
2 months???!!! You have to be kidding me? Is there any way to run a VIN# check beforehand? I mean, I've spent a ton of money and time on my bike. It is completely parted from other bikes and NOS parts. I would hate to have the frame I'm using show up as stolen, when none of the other parts on the bike are from the original. I'd be pissed about wasting $150 on the powder coat for the frame, but I'd rather replace it than have the whole thing impounded for 2 months.

holmstrom
12-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Check this site out,has application to get california title....http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr19.htm

Jonpin
06-18-2008, 02:08 PM
yea iv never had a title for any bike iv ever owned except for a moped one time i didnt even think there was such a thing forthese machines but like someone else said god knows if any of my bikes wher ever stolen at one time i didnt steal them but wouldnt want to think i have someone elses property and lost fun

maggiesboy
06-18-2008, 04:17 PM
all of my trikes, if they did not have a title when I bought them, I had inspected so riding them on public ORV lands wouldn't be illegal. Washington state is real bad about tabbed ORV's

firehart
06-18-2008, 04:40 PM
I bought a 200x from a co-worker. I carried in my pickup all the time. One day a guy came up to me and said that the bike was stolen and he wanted the VIN so he could prove it. I said no way. You give me the stolen bike's VIN first. I went to my co-workers house and she found the title. I did not here anything for about a week. Then the cops came to my door. Asking about the bike. I showed them the bike and they took down the numbers. They called in the numbers and checked them. It came back clean. Then they called the guy and he did not believe the cops. So he came over to my house while the cops were here and checked for himself.