PDA

View Full Version : 250sx timming issue

the 80s rule
12-21-2005, 07:04 PM
I just picked up a 85 I am in the middle of geting the engine to fire and the best it will do is flames out the muffler. So how do you time the engine. I remember reading some thing about a keyway on the flywheel but, I'm not sure. Untill the book comes in to the library I'm flying blind. I want it to run so I know if I should kick myself or not.
Thanks
Jim

conig
12-21-2005, 07:21 PM
the crankshaft should have a woodrift key on it. basically just a square section of metal that spins the flywheel. I don;t know if the stator allows for some adjustment.

svo58
12-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Make sure the piston is at top dead center,open the smaller cap on the left side of motor and shine a light in it and see if the "T" mark on the flywheel is were the pointer is on the cover.If that is on the timing is rite.To see if you are at TDC open the valve covers and see if there is play in the rockers(you should be able to move them a little)Take out the plug it makes it easy when you spin the flywheel.I forgot, the bigger cap has to come off to spin the flywheel(i think it's a 17mm scocket,spin it clock wise with the plug out until the "T" lines up with the mark)then you should be at top dead center if all is rite.I hope this helps.......svo58

the 80s rule
12-21-2005, 09:20 PM
I will give it a try and see thanks.
Jim

Unclediezel
12-21-2005, 09:25 PM
Im a yammi guy - so I dont know for sure--How close is the 250 to a 200 or a 185???

the 80s rule
12-21-2005, 10:14 PM
close enough I guess or I hope. I'll would imagin it's close to the same if not exactly the same. Thanks again. Jim