PDA

View Full Version : need 200x help

xd 200x
12-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Let me start this by saying that I am really happy. The whole thing is toghter for 350.00 total Bought a really nice roller off ebay for 150.00, And an engine off ebay for 150.00. the problem with the engine when I got it was that the stator cover was cracked. welding fixed that and it dosent leak any oil. got it running. But I havent hooked up the clutch yet. when I got the motor the side covers were off. Here is the problem. I put new gaskets and the side covers back on. when I push the cluthch manulay the sprocket is still in gear. what did I do wrong in putting it back toghter? I havent tried to do it when it is running But before I started it It would not work. Is this somthing that could have happened fromthe motor sitting forever. or what. should I try and hook up the clutch cable and see if it will work while it is running?

edog
12-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Got manual?

xd 200x
12-19-2005, 10:38 PM
yes got manual does not help

Unclediezel
12-19-2005, 10:41 PM
All serious---No jokes intended---If you wait till it runs to check it---when you start it , it may run away from you.

thefox
12-19-2005, 10:50 PM
So your saying when you pull in the clutch and push the trike in gear the clutch does not fully disengage? That is common for engines that have been sitting for a while (years?), anyways, take the clutch apart and clean off each disk oil them and put them back together. If you have the extra cash then it would be good time to replace the disks.

My motorcycle did this, it sat for 10 years. After the cleaning it was still dragging a little but not bad better. After driving it around it loosened up some more, I still plan on replacing it in the spring though.

xd 200x
12-20-2005, 12:06 AM
NO man I started it in neutral wilth the chain off to make shure that it ran Im not dumb enough to start it in gear. Thanks for the info on the clutches fox im ganna run it awhile tomarrow and hope that it will engauge By the way how does the shift pattern go on this thing

Unclediezel
12-20-2005, 12:36 AM
I didnt mean you were stupid, But are you sure its a clutch problem and the bike is actually capable of getting into neutral--???? Also---without the chain on, it is possible for the sprocket to spin from centrifugal force, and to feel "Locked-Up" without any weight behind it

xd 200x
12-20-2005, 01:06 AM
no the enigne is in neutral . Cause when I shift it into any other gear the sprocket will not trun by hand but in the gear that I think Is neutral it spinss like not tomarrow by hand. So I think that that is right. plus the brakes work so I should be good there. Guess Im just ganna yeager it and see how it comes out. I was just hoping tht I didnt screw anything up. And I know you didnt mean that I was stupid. No offense taken bro. I think that Im ganna try running it through the gears with the chain off first just to feel it out a little bit. think that there would be any harrm in that?

Glenn J
12-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Make sure you adjust the cable properly. There's an adjuster by the clutch lever and one down on the case.

knsmodels
12-20-2005, 10:29 AM
No help on the clutch problem....but if I remember correctly from my 200X the shift pattern is 1d 5up......:wondering

Bender
12-20-2005, 02:47 PM
is there tension on the clutch when you pull it in? there is a push pin in the inside of your case cover that pushes on the clutch in when you pull the lever in, if thats not in the right spot your clutch isent going to disengage

xd 200x
12-20-2005, 09:03 PM
that pin that you are talking about wont push in I tried it when I had the side cover off. any ideas? By the wauy I rode it today the way it is just down the strweet and could not keep the front wheeel down so im ganna have to figure this out

shudup
12-20-2005, 09:36 PM
So your saying when you pull in the clutch and push the trike in gear the clutch does not fully disengage? That is common for engines that have been sitting for a while (years?), anyways, take the clutch apart and clean off each disk oil them and put them back together. If you have the extra cash then it would be good time to replace the disks.

My motorcycle did this, it sat for 10 years. After the cleaning it was still dragging a little but not bad better. After driving it around it loosened up some more, I still plan on replacing it in the spring though.

this may be your problem, was my first guess as long a you feel the
'springy" feeling at the leaver

i have to take my clutch apart some years after sitting all winter on my street bike
i will pull all the fibers and soke them in oil over night and will work great. Sometimes i have got away with loosening tension on the plates and squurting oil between the plates, but this would be harder on how the 200x is set up

also depending on year....pre 86 1 down 4 up and 86 1 down 5 up

xd 200x
12-21-2005, 12:47 AM
no Im afraid that I confused you guys. The problem is that the clutch does not engauge at all. even when done manualy. Im ganna take the clutch apart tomarrow and soak them and see if that helps

firefirefire90
12-21-2005, 12:59 AM
NOO have * at least put the chain on...have someone tow *? While being towed....pull in the clutch LEVER in which is attached to the clutch cable.. then shift up..an BOOOM ** thing will roar up and *'ll be like " Woah" and then your clutch will be doing its own thing and whatnot and you don't need to take things appart. When the engine sits...you can only shift into two gears right? Well when it is being towed and the engine is running, you can shift into all gears. At least try it man..

xd 200x
12-21-2005, 01:05 AM
I did try it like you said man. I Rode it with the clutch not working. It starts on the first kick the clutch will just not engauge. meaning that it will go into gear but the clutch will not let it roll free. if it is in a gear. I hope that explains it Maybe Im confusing everyone.

So to summerise the clutch is permanitly dis engauged and will not engauge even when I move the tab comming out of the cover with my hand not even using the lever.

firefirefire90
12-21-2005, 01:08 AM
when you turned the trike on, did you try to put it in gear at all? see if the sprocket will move at all?

holmstrom
12-21-2005, 01:17 AM
I believe he said he rode it today. I guess he cant shift? I see, he cant pull the clutch in and the tranny spin freely. I think he means the clutch is always engaged, wont disengage?

xd 200x
12-21-2005, 10:28 AM
no the clutch will not engauge at all. I put it in gear and rode it and just shifted without the clutch. But I did not like doing that at all. lets try this again

The bike rides fine and goes into all gears but the clutch will not engauge even if I bypass using the lever and use my hand on the black thing comming out of the side cover that the clutch cabkle attaches too. So in other words rides, shifts but the clutch will not engauge

xd 200x
12-21-2005, 10:30 AM
engauge meaning that when the bike is in gear if I move the cluth thing commin out of the side cover enevn if by hand the clutch will not engauge and make the bike roll free. help

thornton
12-21-2005, 11:54 AM
try taking the side clutch cover off .look at everything carefully,sqeeze the clutch handle and watch the clutch basket see if it moves in and out.if it dose'nt remove the basket and check the push rod you should be able to pull it out becarefull i think theres a little bearing that goes in the middle of the push rod make sure everything moving right you should be able to hold the end of push rod with your thumb and sqeeze the handle it should move in and out and make sure your baskets setting right. check all the plates and springs. when its all together you should be able to see it release when you sqeeze the clutch lever. hopefully this helps,good luck nate

shudup
12-22-2005, 12:28 AM
what year 200x is this
on the 85 and older is a dif set up than 86 i think and you would not be able to watch the clutch move because the cover needs to be on to make the rest of the parts work...would make it easyier to tell you what it may be (sorry if i missed it if you all ready said the year )
on the 85 the lever on the side of the case may be put in wrong position when the cover is put back on not sure what this would do w/o testing it on my spare motor.

shudup
12-22-2005, 12:29 AM
if it is a 86 i got a old beat up servise manual i'd send you for free
its very bad condition but better than nothing that is if yours is just a regular manual

xd 200x
12-22-2005, 10:58 AM
It is an 85 Im going over to work on it now. Hopefully I'll fix it by tonite. Thanks for the offfer of the service manual but it's an 85 and I have the shop manual

xd 200x
12-22-2005, 09:57 PM
fixed it guys thanks for the help. It shure is nice to have an original 200x that is not half assed toghter. This thing scoots compared to the 200x/s that I have

shudup
12-22-2005, 10:35 PM
what was it?

xd 200x
12-22-2005, 10:41 PM
I had the spring on wrong. The clutch is really tight now. I took it all apart like you guys said thanks again

shudup
12-23-2005, 01:29 AM
thats cool ya got it fixed :w00t:
sometimes the smallest things can be a PITA :wondering