PDA

View Full Version : 125 M.. Someone please give me some ideas

bigredhead
12-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Ok... here we go.

Yes.. i have the service manuals for the 185/200 and the 250 ES/SX.. i don't YET have the manual for the 125. Bid on a few.. got outbid.. i will get one. :p ps: if anyone has one for sale !!!! "wink "

I have an 84 125M that has bottom end issues. :wondering

The shift lever goes up.. down.. and returns to the middle position.. so the spring is not gone.. the sub tranny lever will go from high to low.. but she's stuck in Neutral no matter what i do.

Wich side do i dig into first.

1- Sub Tranny

2- Left side cas

3- Right side case

I'd really like to not have to remove the pipe as she's pretty rusty on the head section.

Where shoud i start ?

zoomerman
12-19-2005, 09:48 PM
i would start with the sub tranny

bigredhead
12-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Aight.. as good as any.

The lever does not " click " or try to engage any gears what so ever.

I wish i knew the history of the machine.. unfortunately i do not.

I've noticed oil on the bottom case.. and what looks like 2 possible drain screws for the oil .. one the of the 4 footpeg bolts that mount to the case is snapped in the case.. will have to drill and tap. ( i plan to have everyone on this thing !! lol instead of my SX ! )

zoomerman
12-19-2005, 10:17 PM
thats what it sounds like it it doesn't click at all.

bigredhead
12-19-2005, 10:33 PM
I am refering to the foot shifter.. not the high/lo lever by the way !!!

85hondaatc125m
12-19-2005, 10:45 PM
I got a 125m og my own, and if you do not have it in high or low completely it will not shift. With my subtran I shifted into high, pushed some snow. Then popped back into high and it wouldnt shift. So I hit the lever with a hammer into high, gave it some good hits, started it again and she went into first and second...ect so just jam it into high as hard as you can.

bigredhead
12-19-2005, 11:10 PM
just jam it into high as hard as you can.

Went out and tried it.. no go. :wondering

Anyone else ???

zoomerman
12-19-2005, 11:15 PM
i would just take the sub tranny off and check it all out i was drving my 125m and the high gear broke (which i still don't have) and i thought the chain fell off but it didn't i clicked it in low and off i went i think something is broken in there can you fell and friction at all when you move it bak and fourth?

42F67N
12-20-2005, 01:29 AM
you tried adjusting the clutch with the bolt on the cover?

Howdy
12-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Ok... here we go.

Yes.. i have the service manuals for the 185/200 and the 250 ES/SX.. i don't YET have the manual for the 125. Bid on a few.. got outbid.. i will get one. :p ps: if anyone has one for sale !!!! "wink "

I have an 84 125M that has bottom end issues. :wondering

The shift lever goes up.. down.. and returns to the middle position.. so the spring is not gone.. the sub tranny lever will go from high to low.. but she's stuck in Neutral no matter what i do.

Wich side do i dig into first.

1- Sub Tranny

2- Left side cas

3- Right side case

I'd really like to not have to remove the pipe as she's pretty rusty on the head section.

Where shoud i start ?

What this sounds like to me is a fairly easy fix. To me it sounds like one of these 2 things:
#1 The bolt came loose out of the end of the shifting tumbler. To check this you will need to remove the right side case ( clutch cover ). You should be able to inspect the bolt without removing anything else. It's #2 in the picture below. This one is my pick for the most likely problem. I have seen quite a few of these.
OR
#2 The shifting arm may have broke up by the shifting tumbler or the spring ( that lifts the shifter engaging arm ) might have broke or come off. This should also be able to be inspect it with only removing the right side case / cover. If you look at the picture below you can see the arm that comes up from the shifter shaft. You can see ( barely ) the arm that comes off it and goes towards the shifter tumbler. Sometimes these break right in the middle.

If you inspect these and find one of them bad let us know. We will give you further inspructions on fixing it.

Howdy

bigredhead
12-20-2005, 09:53 AM
Awsome.

I'll be diving in tonight or tomorrow at the latest, and i'll let you all know !

Thanks !

Murph
12-20-2005, 02:26 PM
you tried adjusting the clutch with the bolt on the cover?

thats exactly what I was thinkin.My neigbors 110 had the same problem, there was something broke, but adjusting the clutch still made it shift right. I can't remember exactly what broke, but it was on the right side.

42F67N
12-21-2005, 12:29 AM
My 84 125m had all kinda shifting problem once i adjusted that clutch nut it was perfect.

bigredhead
12-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Well... i was at it until 4:30 am but i found the problem ! :crazy:

Most of the case cover bolts came out wihtout a fight.. 2 of them however. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The bottom philips bolt under the exhaust was mangled to hell and then some.. i had to remove the pipe.. surprisingly it came off no problems..

Then i spent an hour and a half with a dremel.. easyouts.. files.. cutting disks, vicegrips, plyers.. torches. x amount of lubricants.. everything i could find in the garage... :lol: ...

VERY long story short.. i got the damn thing off and found this inside :

Howdy
12-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Well... i was at it until 4:30 am but i found the problem ! :crazy:

Most of the case cover bolts came out wihtout a fight.. 2 of them however. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The bottom philips bolt under the exhaust was mangled to hell and then some.. i had to remove the pipe.. surprisingly it came off no problems..

Then i spent an hour and a half with a dremel.. easyouts.. files.. cutting disks, vicegrips, plyers.. torches. x amount of lubricants.. everything i could find in the garage... :lol: ...

VERY long story short.. i got the damn thing off and found this inside :

hmm, my #2 that I posted before was dead on target!! At any rate I am glad you found the problem! Need any parts to fix it?
Howdy

bigredhead
12-26-2005, 05:37 PM
Yepper.... Pm on the way !!

rdlsz24
02-20-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm going to look at a 125M this weekend. The owner said the chain fell off and now it's stuck between gears. Hopefully it's something easy like this.

Rob

Ken99287
02-21-2008, 01:29 AM
i have the 125m clymer manual, if you ever need something, i can scan it for you, just message me

burnoutboy
02-21-2008, 01:32 AM
seems the sub trannies like to *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* themselves. i had the same issues as you had bigread head, so i tore into the sub trannie and everything was damaged

rdlsz24
02-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Ok so I picked up the 125 on Saturday for a cool $75 :). It has almost new tires, and the rest of it is in good shape too. To be honest, I was a little surprised how good of shape it was in because I couldn't see much in the pictures he sent me since it was covered in snow.

Anyway, it will start right up, but is like it's stuck in neutral just like the op's trike, so I will take the right side engine cover off and take a look. On a side note, how many gears should this have? I'm not talking about the high-low, just how many clicks should the lever go down, and where is neutral?

Rob

Big red 200es
02-25-2008, 01:56 PM
If your 125m is a 1984 he have 4 speed and the neutral is up. If your 125 is a 1985 he have 4 speed in the neutral is down.

rdlsz24
02-25-2008, 02:29 PM
I have an '84. Ok so it should have 4 gears. I don't know if it seems like it has that many when I click it lol. hmmmm

Rob