PDA

View Full Version : Tecate Had No Spark

BigGreenMachine
12-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Fired her up this morning for the first time since Saturdays ride. She ran for 10 seconds and died. I checked the plug, it was fouled so I just stuck in another but no go. No spark at all so I hauled the tank off and found a broken ground, fixed it and tested it for spark, no spark.

Hauled off the stator cover and got a puddle of water out of it, :lol: :cry: , in any case my stator case was covered with water from Saturday. So whats the deal, are my coils ruined because of the water or can I dry them and reinstall it to run again? Its always something.

Half pissed cause I was having the g/f out to my place to show her some pics and werk on the trike a little, like tightening the chain and whatever. :cool:

darrel632
12-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Dry 'em out in the oven 225 for about 20 min. ( or until browned), remove and put a little light lubricating oil to taste. should be good to go.

BigGreenMachine
12-19-2005, 03:20 PM
LOL seriously though they wont spark because their wet? oil to taste!!! lol

darrel632
12-19-2005, 07:27 PM
Get the H2O out you MIGHT regain contenuity, they are presealed, with no H20 in the case you will probably regain the spark you are so desparately missing, should figure out where the water went in and fix that issue though light lube oil (mineral oil) will help chase any risidual water out after baking and keep rusting to a minimum.

Unclediezel
12-19-2005, 09:51 PM
Electricity seeks out the shortest path to ground,And the water in your case makes an excellent conductor to the motor where the electricity finds its ground and fizzles away---Not leaving enough residual voltage to operate your ignition system----
WD 40 absorbs moisture and can lube the affected areas so the oxidation doesnt spread---A close second alternative would be Automotive brake fluid----The alcohol base absorbs moisture.

BigGreenMachine
12-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Baked the coils, 20 mins on 225 cure it, spark is good and she runs. NOW I have another issue. At running temperature the bike will cruze around at 1/4 to half throttle fine but when you get up past that the motor bogs and dies. Cleaned the carb but the problem persists.

Unclediezel
12-19-2005, 10:02 PM
What do you Kawi guys use for spark advance????

BigGreenMachine
12-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Pardon? I'm not sure what your asking?

Unclediezel
12-19-2005, 10:38 PM
Spark advance----Timing advance -- Honda uses a pulse rotor --Yamaha uses electronics in the CDI box---Im not sure how it works on a Kawi--But that bogging down sounds like retarded ignition timing.

BigGreenMachine
12-19-2005, 10:52 PM
Well the Tecate has a CDI and you basicly set the timing by lining up a mark on the stator plate. I will double check my work tomorrow. The bogging is weird, seems to happen in the higher rpms but its not liek there is sputering or popping in the high rpm, its like the motor loses all power and dies, usually fouling a plug in the process.

Unclediezel
12-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Your spark must happen prior to TDC to complete the burn process as the piston returns downward. The faster the revs --the less time to complete the burn process, and the earlier the spark must fire. --In simple terms --In high rev situations --you are only using a small amount of the power from your explosion, because the spark is firing too late.

BigGreenMachine
12-19-2005, 11:35 PM
10/4. Reset the timing tomorrow because all this makes great sense, never had it explained like that. Your a great help sir, thank you.

cliff2302
12-19-2005, 11:54 PM
i don't like to be the barer of bad news, but i think your stator is shot. I had the same problem with my T3 when i first bought it. It idled great, drove it around and right when the i was about to hit the powerband she would bog and cough. Took me a couple of weeks till i tested the stator and it was bad. It had just enough life left in it to run the motor, but not enough to really work well. Get an ohm meter and check it out. I'm not saying this is definitely your problem, but it sounds alot like what i went through. good luck

BigGreenMachine
12-20-2005, 12:06 AM
I'll check her out tomorrow when I pull the flywheel. Its a new stator and brand new ignition coils, less then 10 hours on the coils. Just got them wet Saturday, dried them out and it runs strong aside from dying a few times, I mean I can get way up in the rpms and sometimes it won't die.

darrel632
12-20-2005, 11:09 AM
What are you running for an air filter? my kid oil one up (K&N) with "summer grade" it does the same thing put on a dry filter runs like a raped ape.

BigGreenMachine
12-20-2005, 01:00 PM
UNI clamp on that I cleaned dried overnight and oiled.

BLAZERONE22
12-20-2005, 01:56 PM
If you need any electricals to help trouble shoot, hollar it will be a while before I have mine up and running you can borrow them.

BigGreenMachine
12-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Blazer I would but I'd be too worried about ruining something on ya man. Besides I should have it sorted soon enough, seemed to run a lot better today after reseting the timing, still not idling right where it should but I'll be sorting that out tomorrow.

biggmondo
12-20-2008, 11:07 AM
kinda back to what u where talking about before. i just bought a 84 tecate it ran great for a few min. but just boggoed out and died and and there is no spark. hhmm is the stator the thing under the casing one the left side infront of the clutch i took it off and i also had a little pudle of water in there, if it is how do u take it off b/c i got the center bolt off but cant get it off. thanks alot
mondo

Blown 331
12-20-2008, 11:30 AM
kinda back to what u where talking about before. i just bought a 84 tecate it ran great for a few min. but just boggoed out and died and and there is no spark. hhmm is the stator the thing under the casing one the left side infront of the clutch i took it off and i also had a little pudle of water in there, if it is how do u take it off b/c i got the center bolt off but cant get it off. thanks alot
mondo

Sounds like a stator problem but the clutch is on the right side. The thing in front of the clutch is the water pump.

biggmondo
12-20-2008, 11:37 AM
thanks yah my bad i miss typed it but would u now any tricks to getting it offf or should it just slide off?

biggmondo
12-20-2008, 04:17 PM
well nevermind got it off and a magnet went loose and tore up the coils and the magnets are all broke so bought a new stator coils and wheel ran me 250$ hope it does the trick

BigGreenMachine
12-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Hope it does too. FYI, you need a 3 prong automotive type puller to take the flywheel off. Do not thread the screws into the flywheel too deeply as they may contact and destroy the stator coils if you do.

boosted96cobra
12-21-2008, 08:40 PM
well nevermind got it off and a magnet went loose and tore up the coils and the magnets are all broke so bought a new stator coils and wheel ran me 250$ hope it does the trick

This is exactly why if I ever buy a tecate, I'll start it once to see if it runs then that stupid fly is coming off and something better designed is going in it's place. This red one I just got ran, so I ordered a rmstator flywheel and when I pulled the stock fly, I had a magnet fall off just from using the puller. Can't imagine what it would have done if I was riding it at the time.

cr480r
12-21-2008, 09:55 PM
This is exactly why if I ever buy a tecate, I'll start it once to see if it runs then that stupid fly is coming off and something better designed is going in it's place. This red one I just got ran, so I ordered a rmstator flywheel and when I pulled the stock fly, I had a magnet fall off just from using the puller. Can't imagine what it would have done if I was riding it at the time.

If I bought a tecate that still ran, I would epoxy the magnets before they even fell off and run it.. it doesnt take much glue to hold them in place..

Blown 331
12-21-2008, 10:10 PM
If I bought a tecate that still ran, I would epoxy the magnets before they even fell off and run it.. it doesnt take much glue to hold them in place..

So you would pull them off then glue them back on? My 85 was missing the flywheel and I was told the stator was no good. I bought a ricky flywheel then just a new lighting coil and soldered it into my stock stator. Works great.
My brothers 85 lost spark and he just soldered in the new ignition winding. His flywheel had obviously been epoxy'd. He ran it like that and its been fine for years.