PDA

View Full Version : Tri-z no start just backfires pics inside!!

slothminx
12-17-2005, 06:16 PM
Well some of you may know that my Z was refusing to start. i had cut the engine one day and the next nada nothing zip except backfires. Well i was jumping around trying everything, CDI, carb, exhaust, and then today i thought well im not getting anywhere so i started to tear into it with the intention of taking the topend off.

When taking it apart i though ahhh i can get the compression tester in now and i then went to kick it over. 160PSI fine but whats that clicking? i look down and there was sparks jumping from the body of the coil to the frame.

I pull the coil off and take a look and on both side there are large cracks. :rolleyes: I had been chasing the wrong thing for a week and a half! it wasnt the CDI but the coil

The moral? if your getting backfires or no start..... check your coil for crack and damage!!

Ohhh and if your wondering wheres my plug lead? i pulled it out to test the other day if that was my problem.

Staceyl200 and 03orangeshee you were right on the money when you suggested it!:beer

hoser
12-17-2005, 09:02 PM
Dont feel bad the CDI is one of the most misdiagnosed items on the ignition list, next to points on older ignition systems, no spark its gotta be that darn mystery box the CDI, been riding wrenching on ATV's for 35 years havent found a bad CDI yet, I have found them to be really reliable when trying to track down a ignition problem the CDI is the last thing I will even consider, the only so called "bad CDI" I have seen actually only had corroded connections once cleaned they worked perfect, when the guy plugged in his new CDI it cleaned the connections just enough it ran again once his old CDI connections were cleaned it worked also, degraded connections seems to be the majority of the problems I would include a cracked coil in the degraded connection category.

Number one bad connection I have found is on the coil wire next to the spark plug boot, unscrew the boot and look at the wire is it green? I usually cut off 1/4" of the coil wire just to make sure coat the end of the wire with oxyban and screw the cap back on.

Glad you figured it out sometimes electrical problems can be a pain

slothminx
12-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Well I thought i would show exactly what was happening and took the airbox off the Z and started her with the coil pitched slightly away from the frame. Quite cool eh!

http://img436.imageshack.us/img436/2089/dsc071562nx.jpg
http://img436.imageshack.us/img436/4251/dsc071540wk.jpg

Unclediezel
12-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Well ---at least you know you have a STRONG -BLUE spark-----!!!!!!!!!

MTS
12-18-2005, 04:05 PM
i wonder if you cant just cheat and use some 2 part epoxy on it???...good to see you found the problem tho! git her runnin!

staceyl200
12-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Hey Will !! Good to hear you got her running ,, I just joined up your other site Tiptop !!! Stacey

slothminx
12-18-2005, 04:51 PM
LOL i have done ;) i jb quicked over the crack and she ran like a raped ape again. But thats not a proper fix and i wont trust it so im getting another coil.

Yep once again to smoke out the neighbours with my 20:1 WOO

Kintore
12-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Great to hear will, I know how you feel without being to ride it.

MTS
12-18-2005, 05:07 PM
LOL i have done ;) i jb quicked over the crack and she ran like a raped ape again. But thats not a proper fix and i wont trust it so im getting another coil.

Yep once again to smoke out the neighbours with my 20:1 WOO
20:1 holy crap what are you running for pre-mix oil? i would go Ams oil 32:1 or 50:1...you will **** your pants the diffrence it makes in the throttle response with a good oil and proper mix...:beer

slothminx
12-18-2005, 05:18 PM
Im still running what was in it when i bought it and its at 20:1. When i have some better syn oil i will go to 40:1. ;)