PDA

View Full Version : Weird spark problem

Tri-ZNate
12-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Ok my 200es has a weird spark problem. Some days (mostly when there has been moisture in the air, even snow). Now I can pull for all I'm worth and use the electric start but it wont spark some days. I can roll it down a hill however and it will start without a fuss. WTF is wrong?

Maine_Triker
12-17-2005, 11:58 AM
You should always start by testing all the electrical stuff. Do you have a manual? I do have one here I can send if you need it.

Vealmonkey
12-17-2005, 12:12 PM
The first thing I would be checking is my ground for the ignition switch and all my connections.

Tri-ZNate
12-17-2005, 09:14 PM
All of ny connections and ground are good and secure, thats the weird thing. I mean its not like a loose wire or anything that I can find.

Unclediezel
12-17-2005, 09:25 PM
Check the eyelet on the coil mount---They can corrode INSIDE the insulation, and unless you guess very well--you'd never find it

Unclediezel
12-17-2005, 09:28 PM
also possible is your pulse coil is wearing out---it will act up in high humidity situations ,
Think about testing with a spray bottle--Run the trike and a shot at a time--squirt it--When it dies --you found your bad component

zoomerman
12-17-2005, 09:28 PM
my 2 cents is mostuire getting at the wires make sure there no bare wires it might be shorting out

Tri-ZNate
12-17-2005, 09:52 PM
where is the pulse coil located? On the head to the left?

Unclediezel
12-17-2005, 10:14 PM
Left side of the head---in front of the camshaft Sprocket

Tri-ZNate
12-17-2005, 10:34 PM
ok I'll check it out

Tri-ZNate
12-20-2005, 12:14 AM
I sprayed the whole machine down but it didnt make a difference. Any other ideas?

TeamGeek6
12-20-2005, 01:29 PM
I sprayed the whole machine down but it didnt make a difference. Any other ideas?

it wont, that cannot do the same thing as humidity getting inside a connector, the water spray drops are too large. If its a bad connector, youre looking at gaps between terminals of microinches. Water drops are much too large.

"Wont start kicking but will towing" is weak ignition, it cant "catch" at low engine speeds like when pull starting. Towing it in gear makes the engine speed much higher than pull start so if the ignition is dropping out, there are more sparks per second to catch and run.

The snow part doesnt jive with rain, the humidity is much lower in winter when its snowing. Might be cause of the temperature change.

Start monkeying with the connectors till you find the bad one. Both my R and Goldwings acted exactly like this due to bad connectors. I could watch the humidity meter on the Wing and every time the humidity hit 80% it would stop charging and run like crap.

Tri-ZNate
12-20-2005, 05:25 PM
When i sprayed it down i took a hair sprayer so it could make a mist. I wouldnt think the drops would be too big then. Yesterday I was able to pull start it without a problem. Seems as long as I start it everyday it has no problem but let it sit a week and you might as well roll it down a hill to start it.

Howdy
12-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Sounds like a weak spark issue. I would start with checking the stator coil to see if it is generating enough power for the ignition. Black with red striped wire: 215-245 ohms is Best.
Howdy

Tri-ZNate
12-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Its got nice blue spark but I'll check it when I get the chance.