PDA

View Full Version : I think my transmission is goin out.

honda110
12-15-2005, 10:40 AM
I have a 1984 Honda ATC thee wheeler. It usually shifts fine and runs great, But about two days ago i was riding it and i shifted into third gear and it went into neutral. I shift in neutral it goes to first. When i shifted in first again it went all the way to forth gear. Is my transmission going out.

trikesown
12-15-2005, 12:50 PM
your tranny is goin out of your trike and your gear box is set up wrong

Unclediezel
12-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Sound like a shift fork problem-- You will have some dissasembly time ahead of you--but first check the obvious nonsense that you can easily see--external linkages --before going further into the unit.

Howdy
12-15-2005, 02:42 PM
I have worked on a lot of 90-110 with simular problems. What normally is the problem is the stopper pawl breaks. The stopper pawl is used to hold the shifting tumbler into a certain possition. If it breaks then it can no longer do this, thus it can jumb from one gear to the next. It's not that hard to check it either. I have attatched a picture showing the stopper pawl ( #1 ).

There is a slight chance the bolt on the end of the shifting drum has come loose ( #2 ). But it's only a slight chance ( there would be other symptons ).
Hope this helps
Howdy

Edited: Corrected a spelling error.

Unclediezel
12-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Wouldnt the "DETENT" feeling be gone? - Technically- Should'nt the "Star" just "Freely" bounce around and thrash itself between gears on engagement?

Unclediezel
12-15-2005, 02:52 PM
oops----E-slap For uncle-D

The detent is gone--Thats why it ends up in errattic positions---But how did the tumbler not trash itself?

Howdy
12-15-2005, 03:10 PM
oops----E-slap For uncle-D

The detent is gone--Thats why it ends up in errattic positions---But how did the tumbler not trash itself?

The tumbler wouldn't trash itself because the shifter arm will ( ever so slightly ) try to hold it into a gear. But it's not enough to sustain it.
Howdy

03 ORANGE SHEE
12-15-2005, 09:57 PM
i have a comlete bottom end for one if you need it

honda110
12-16-2005, 10:13 AM
I have another 70 motor but i dont really know how to work on transmissions, I just put the head, Jug and piston on it and now the transmission is messing up and i daont know how to fix it.Thanks

Howdy
12-16-2005, 10:19 AM
I have another 70 motor but i dont really know how to work on transmissions, I just put the head, Jug and piston on it and now the transmission is messing up and i daont know how to fix it.Thanks

To fix your problem you probably wouldn't need to dig deep into the tranny. The part I described is under the right side cover ( clutch cover ). The picture I posted above is for a 90,110,125m. But the 70 motors are simular, but different. It probably is only a 1 - 1 1/2 hour fix for a first timer. And if you can do a topend you shouldn't have much problem fixing this one. ;)
Howdy

vintagemotorsports
12-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Hey guys,
listen to Howdy , he is 100% correct on this I too have worked on Hondas for a long time and this is a real common problem with this style engine, like he said either the bolt backed out witch happens or the arm on the spring loaded detenyt lever broke. its a 20 min job flip the bik on its side and pull the clutch side cover , you will have to pull the clutch and 1 gear to access it but very easy. Listen to the old guys we know a few things
take care
Mike

honda110
12-17-2005, 03:57 AM
How do i pull the clutch and 1 gear.

rally4x4racer
04-16-2007, 01:30 AM
drain the oil, drop the clutch cover - you should be able to see the parts they are talking about behind the clutch.

get a manual if you do not have one. it will help

team-red-rider
04-16-2007, 09:41 AM
hey rally this is over 2 years old LOL

rally4x4racer
04-28-2007, 10:08 PM
I went back in time just to help honda110 out!

your right - looks like he figured it out and never came back.