PDA

View Full Version : 200X Clutch: What brand?

Glenn J
12-14-2005, 11:43 AM
The clutch on my 1985 200X needs to be replaced. I just wanted to see what brands of friction plates people have used. The OEM setup (if purchased through servicehonda.com) is a bit pricey. Dennis Kirk has EBC and Vesrah plates. Anyone have experience with either of those? I'm going to be replacing the springs (not sure what brand to go with there) and the steel plates (OEM on those).

Any suggestions would be helpful.

RacerRichie
12-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Hey Glenn!

I've used all kinds. I like ebc dirt digger. they have kevlar on the friction plates and take much abuse. I have them on my 350x right now. get the whole kit with the springs.
PS going to look at a possible 86 or 87 big red on thursday for cheap. Its supposed to be all there 100% not running no spark. I can get a really good deal on it.
replace that clutch get ready for next season so I can roost you!:w00t:

Glenn J
12-14-2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks dude! I don't know if I can get that set up for my X...I've only seen the regular EBC kit for my machine. I'll do a little digging though.

Oh, don't worry, I'll be ready to ride this spring. The question is, will you? :lol:

Glenn J
12-16-2005, 09:55 AM
So Richie is the only one who's replaced his clutch around here? :rolleyes:

Dammit!
12-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Barnett makes a complete kit including springs. I've seen it in catalogs for like 75 bucks.

blue27
12-16-2005, 10:56 AM
I always ran Honda clutches with heavy duty aftermarket springs. Honda clutches sometimes will recover if you overheat them buy letting them sit and cool down (this will get you home), but I know in my case a Barnett will not, once fried you will be looking for a friend and a tow strap.

edog
12-16-2005, 11:13 AM
I always ran Honda clutches with heavy duty aftermarket springs. Honda clutches sometimes will recover if you overheat them buy letting them sit and cool down (this will get you home), but I know in my case a Barnett will not, once fried you will be looking for a friend and a tow strap.

That is the best way i have heard.

Glenn J
12-16-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys! Anyone know of an online place that sells the Barnett kit?

I don't think this clutch will recover. I did a deep water crossing, got some water in the case....rode for the rest of the day....oops!

Dammit!
12-16-2005, 11:45 AM
http://www.jlatvproducts.com/

It was their print catalog I saw it in. It's probably on the web site somewhere too or you could call them.

Glenn J
12-16-2005, 11:54 AM
Bingo! $66 for the kit. That's actually not too bad. How much harder is the pull vs stock? I do a lot of woods riding, so I don't want something too stiff.

Dammit!
12-16-2005, 11:57 AM
When I had them in my old x it was easier to pull than my R. No idea why. Even my R isn't so bad now with the '89 update kit in it.

Edit:

MOST complete clutch kits contain: Disc, Steel Drive Plates and springs."

Just saw that fine print. Call and confirm it comes with the springs. In the print catalog it says it does but it's $9 more there too.

Glenn J
12-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Cool. Glad to know the pull doesn't change much. And good idea, I'll call to make sure it comes with what I need.