PDA

View Full Version : making a custom 6pack rack

monster 84r
12-13-2005, 09:02 PM
im making a custom 6pack rack with some spare pipe, and a welder. anyone have any design ideas?

i was making good progress untill i had an accident when forming the tubing into a square shape. i mashed my fingers kinda bad with a 6lb hammer, il be good in about a week.

il take pics of it mounted when im finished, hopefully by the end of the week. id trade it though for tank shrouds, reeds, etc. or cash. i wont really need it, but its a good use of the spare steel.

jeswinehart
12-13-2005, 09:11 PM
I just want to see your fingers :)

john

monster 84r
12-13-2005, 09:15 PM
jeez john, what happened?

im fine, i might loose the nail but nothing close to that though.
im anticipating the story behind how you lost your fingertips.

john

cragster
12-13-2005, 09:16 PM
I just want to see your fingers :)

john
WTF¿?¿??????????????

jeswinehart
12-13-2005, 09:48 PM
A 185-s with a bad attitude and a missing sprocket cover.
Perhaps get the cooler you want to use or display so you can build around it. I have a couple of hondaline bigred front cooler racks but no cooler available to fit them correctly.
I used some alu stock to make up a grab bar for my trike. The solid 1 inch round alu come from a locale scrap yard (20 feet for 10 dollars) and I was wondering about trying to tight bends with it ,,, probbly take a torch to do that I would think.

john

trikesown
12-13-2005, 09:58 PM
bend the pipe to a square and mke two half squares and weld them to the bottom of the full square and you got yourself a six pack rack that can carry a cooler

monster 84r
12-13-2005, 10:01 PM
i found a good small cooler, and im building it from there.

bending the stuff (im using 1inch diam. 1/8'' thick ) is a pain in the arse. thats how i messed up my hand.

were out of acetylene, so i used a tubing bender, but i need a sharper, less broad curve. so i was shaping it with a ball pean (sp?) and smashed my finger.

im sorry about your hand though. us john's have bad luck with digits hahaha

monster 84r
12-13-2005, 10:05 PM
bend the pipe to a square and mke two half squares and weld them to the bottom of the full square and you got yourself a six pack rack that can carry a cooler

that would work, but the welds would look tacky everywhere joining pipe. i was hoping to make the square frame that holds the cooler out of one piece of bent 1'' tubing, but my wonderful tool skills (sarcastic) have left me screwed. i cant hold a torch with my hand like this, so i wont be able to bend much of the tubing. hopefully it stops swelling tomorrow.

patblkwell
12-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Hey John, there is one ice chest out there made by Coleman that fits perfect in the Hondaline 6 pack racks for the big red....here is the link to it: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5205A753G&categoryid=8530
I had to look for one that fit right for a while after I installed my 6 pack rack on the big red, luckily this one does the job!

200xman
12-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Hey John, there is one ice chest out there made by Coleman that fits perfect in the Hondaline 6 pack racks for the big red....here is the link to it: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5205A753G&categoryid=8530
I had to look for one that fit right for a while after I installed my 6 pack rack on the big red, luckily this one does the job!

I'll Second that and it's even in the right color. Mike's wife searched the internet and local stores for a while before finding those but they fit great.

patblkwell
12-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Here it is on mine...it's not too tall which helps keep it down good too, just get one of these little cargo nets and you'll be all good.

Patrick

jeswinehart
12-13-2005, 11:03 PM
Great ! I will have one of those on order here in a short.
I remember at last years trikefest@05 asking freaksfix where the heck he got his (figuuring it would be where he worked at - wal-mart ,,,) . His reply at that time was he found his in somebodys curbside trash - he could'nt find one at wal-mart either !

Good info - thanks !

john