PDA

View Full Version : bike wobbles, feels loose, what to adjust?

monster 84r
12-11-2005, 12:59 AM
is it just charactoristic for an atc to wobble a little? i get of the bike and it feels like the swingarm and front wheel are loose, nothing major it just bugs me.

what bolts am i suposed to make sure are tight? i already checked the axle nut, and the swingarm bolt. this might sound like a stupid question but i dont know anyone better to ask other than you guys.

Unclediezel
12-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Easiest shot--and really cheap ---Pick up the front wheel--and have someone spin it--Youll see an out of round condition with no problem---Do the same with the rear---

monster 84r
12-11-2005, 01:09 AM
i dont understand, im out of it tonight. im suposed to see if their out of balance then what?

1984kxtTECATE
12-11-2005, 01:14 AM
Check your front wheel bearings, I had the same thing happen to me on my Tri-Z with the front, if you can wiggle the tire and feel it move left to right that is a symptom of a bad wheel bearing, same goes with the swing arm bearings. Agian I had that probelm with the Tri-z.

Unclediezel
12-11-2005, 01:23 AM
AN out of balance tire ---Or like TECATE said , wheel bearings --will show up by spinning the wheels pulling on them, poking at them--anything that doesnt react the way it should-----is cause for further investigation---if you pick up the front wheel and it lays sideways---something is wrong.
Think of how your trike would roll----then think of what youre feeling- then find what your feeling

monster 84r
12-11-2005, 01:29 AM
it doesnt wobble when i drive it or anything. it just sways a little while sitting if i shake it, its just a pet peave (sp?)

Unclediezel
12-11-2005, 01:35 AM
ok---no prob---Get someone to watch you while you shake and wiggle on it----same principle--the bad part will show up and then you can figure out what needs to be done to correct it

Billy Golightly
12-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Swingarm bearings/bushings where it attaches to the frame, rear axle bearings in the carrier are the main things to check. Stand up on the footpegs and lean over onto the handle bars, gently shift your weight from left to right back and fourth while having someone watch and look for where the play is at. If you spend enough time doing it yourself and listening to the sound you can probably pick out the place its doing it yourself also.