PDA

View Full Version : ported the exaust port, got alot of power. airfooler 'rs check this

monster 84r
12-10-2005, 10:50 PM
this weekend i anticipated going for some riding with a few blasters, and i wanted to make sure i had the upper hand. after talking to a knowlegeable guy at a cycle shop, i decided to try and port my own motor.

i only did the exaust port, but it tured out great. i had a TON of black ash build up on the flange and port. after i sanded all of that off, i grabbed my rotory tool and started working. i opened up the port just a tiny bit, then polished it clean. after i was done, i had a shot glass sized ammount of ash junk that was in the cylendar.

after that, i took it out. the mid range has way more kick than normal, and it seems to run alot cleaner on the whole range.

any of you airfooler guys tried this? all that build up could be robbing power, im glad i did it.

RideRed250R
12-10-2005, 10:54 PM
yes... i have before... i put a 85R exhasut flange on a air fooler as it is larger then the stock one... i had to have the exhast pipe opened up for it to fit... but while i was in the cylinder i did clean out the junk... and opened up the port 2mm.
adam
it does open it up but really you can only flow as much as you can fit in the largest hole... what you did when you opened up your exhaust port was advance the timing

firefirefire90
12-10-2005, 11:01 PM
could you all explain this to me? I want to start portin the R

traxxasx
12-10-2005, 11:06 PM
could i just use a dremel and shave the exhaust port a lil, and smooth it out and slap my exhaust back on?

Tri-ZNate
12-10-2005, 11:27 PM
go right ahead but we have 4 strokes so even if you did it right you would need to get bigger valves. If you just do the spot where the exhaust hooks on, the most you are doing is cleaning it.

monster 84r
12-11-2005, 01:25 AM
could you all explain this to me? I want to start portin the R

no problem. fyi guys, this isnt for four strokes.

i started out taking off all of the exaust components. pipe, flange, etc. i took a wire brush on a drill and cleaned out all of the built up ash from the pre-mix. there was easily a mm of the gunk on the port and flange. i cleaned that off, then pulled out my dremel. with a small metal bit i gently widened up the port and flange, just a little bit.

i talked to a guy about doing something a little more agressive, and he told me depending on the way you angle the transfer ports and exhaust, you can make up to 20% more power. thats about 6 hp for me if i went that route.

in short, i cleaned and widened the port and flange. alot of crap gets built up in there. i took some material off of the port sides, but not very much off of the top and bottom because that effects the powerband, and i didnt want to risk doing something stupid.

lastly i took a wire wheel and buffing wheel onto the port, and flange until they were nice, clean, and shiney. worked great for me.

1984kxtTECATE
12-11-2005, 01:47 AM
Be carefull doing up the exhaust port for who ever tries this, if you go to far all you will have is top end power, or you may have a junk jug. So be careful that you dont take too much materisl off.

NOS_350X
12-11-2005, 02:42 AM
I would NOT recommend trying things like this on a 2 stroke. With the pingers theres some vital things there that make your bike run properly. You can EASELY turn a good running bike into junk if you something improperly.

monster 84r
12-11-2005, 02:49 AM
i didnt take barely any metal off. i was just making the point that the black deposits on the exhaust port were holding back power.

edog
12-11-2005, 02:34 PM
yes... i have before... i put a 85R exhasut flange on a air fooler as it is larger then the stock one... i had to have the exhast pipe opened up for it to fit... but while i was in the cylinder i did clean out the junk... and opened up the port 2mm.
adam
it does open it up but really you can only flow as much as you can fit in the largest hole... what you did when you opened up your exhaust port was advance the timing

Advance the timing in a 2 stroke ....thats just silly:lol: :lol:

slothminx
12-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Advance the timing in a 2 stroke ....thats just silly:lol: :lol:

Im not quite sure if your being sarcastic or if your being serious :wondering :wondering ?

BigGreenMachine
12-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Who knows with edog.

Port work on a two stroke is something where you "need" to know what your at. Reshaping the intake and exhaust ports changes where power is made in the power band, you could lose power or just plain ruin the cylinder. Best leave it to someone who knows their stuff. Making sure the exhaust port is free of carbon was a good idea however, I'm sure you freed up some good hp.