PDA

View Full Version : tri-z carb setting

Mosh
12-10-2005, 10:02 AM
ok if all goes well, i will be starting the tri-z for the first time today:w00t: . my question is . my main jet is 420.the bike is bored 60 over.no porting.wiseco piston.it is about 30 degrees here. i wont be riding it and i am just going to let the motor idle and run to break it in.i might ride her a little but not hard at all.just to make sure she shifts and stuff. you know the drill. i will be runnin blenzall castor oil at 28-1 premium gas. will the 420 main jet be rich enough? i was reading old posts,and there were alot of tips saying anywhere from 420-470 on the mains.i know tim sr.is runnin the 420.should i run the jet clip at the middle position?i am runnin a cobra pipe with a dg silencer. i dont wont the motor too lean. but i wont be ridin her today, just gettin her goin.will this setup be pretty close? also what temp do these motors run at. i have no t-stat. i have an infared heat gun.i was thinkin 190-210 degrees will be good.let me know guys i dont want to damage anything.thanks

twgranger
12-10-2005, 04:11 PM
Are you running the stock carb still? If so i would aleast start out with the stock 470 main.

TimSr
12-10-2005, 05:05 PM
You probably wont have any trouble with the 420 at a 28:1 mix, but Id suggest starting with the 470 as well, get it fully broke in on your permanent gas oil mix before beginning to jet down. Im running Blue Marble which tends to run similar to castor, and Im running at 50:1. When I ran a Cobra pipe, it ran the same as the stock one as far as carburetion. I have yet to see any setup other then internal engine mods for which the stock jetting is not too rich.

If you are just idiling and blipping it open now an then to seat the rings, your main jet will not cause you any problems being too lean but you should start at 470 before riding it, and you will probably end up at around 420 with your setup.

Mosh
12-11-2005, 11:35 AM
thanks guys. i am runnin the stock carb. it has a 470 in it. the clip was at the richest settting.so i put it a the middle posistion.i thought it was 420 but i looked again and said 470.i got here runnin last night after 50 kicks(primin the fuel pump)it runs good but i have a small issue. if ya dont mind tim sr ineed to give you a call on sunday (today). i have a question for you.thanks oh btw.tw granger.i am runnin the carb i bought from you.so far so good.thanks

twgranger
12-11-2005, 03:02 PM
thanks guys. i am runnin the stock carb. it has a 470 in it. the clip was at the richest settting.so i put it a the middle posistion.i thought it was 420 but i looked again and said 470.i got here runnin last night after 50 kicks(primin the fuel pump)it runs good but i have a small issue. if ya dont mind tim sr ineed to give you a call on sunday (today). i have a question for you.thanks oh btw.tw granger.i am runnin the carb i bought from you.so far so good.thanksI forgot i sold you that carb. The settings i ran with that carb was either a 470 or a 480 main. The needle in the second notch from the top, the next one from the leanest and the stock 45 pilot.