PDA

View Full Version : 85 250SX engine question...

toyo22r
02-24-2003, 02:35 PM
I just bought an 85 Honda 250SX. The starter motor is fried, so I have to rely on kick starting it. I took the starter off last night and discovered the the gears and pinion shaft that connects the starter to the flywheel are missing.. bummer.. anywho.. the real question is... when I removed the side panel to get at the starer gears, i noticed some oil down in there, the flywheel had some oil on it. Is this normal??? should there be engine oil around the flywheel area?? I wouldnt think so, cuz the magneto assy is right there.. which leads to another thing.. sometimes at idle, the headlight will get very bright, then go back to normal brightness... i wonder if there is a bunch of oil around the lighting coil. Is there a seal back there that goes bad??? It does burn a bit of oil, you can see it in the exhaust, but i assume that is rings. Any ideas guys? This is my first ATV.. i've had many 2 stroke bikes...

Thanks,

Paul
toyo22r@yahoo.com

Dirtcrasher
02-24-2003, 06:12 PM
Nope it's ok, its supposed to be in an oilbath. I'm sure Classifieds have some starter parts. Your light problem is also something else but someone here knows better than me. I think as you described is a voltage reg problem. Good luck and you'll love that SX when it's all setup!

J.D.
02-24-2003, 06:17 PM
I would say yes there is supposed to be oil in there, because when I took my engine apart I had oil in there....hope nothing is wrong with mine.

KJ52
04-06-2003, 10:25 PM
hey man i have these gears if you need then. if you want them please e-mail me at blackcat5402003@yahoo.com thanks KJ52

bbechtel16
04-06-2003, 11:02 PM
Your light's brightness shouldn't vary as the light power comes from the battery. Unless you don't have a battery and the previous owner rigged it to the magneto or something.

ATC crazy
04-07-2003, 05:30 PM
The oil is normal.
My headlights would also flicker too. When I let it idle, it would get dim, but when reved, it would brighten up again. It was just enough to notice but still...at idle..it would be brighter than a stock 250SX. (I had 350X lights) It made all the difference in the world.

bbechtel16
04-07-2003, 10:24 PM
The oil is normal.
My headlights would also flicker too. When I let it idle, it would get dim, but when reved, it would brighten up again. It was just enough to notice but still...at idle..it would be brighter than a stock 250SX. (I had 350X lights) It made all the difference in the world.

What? I'm confused. :?