PDA

View Full Version : My 500.00 find...

Dave223
12-02-2005, 12:21 AM
First off let me say this, About the only trikes in my area with suspension are Big Reds. Tonite my brother in law comes over telling me about a "race trike with a vented headlight" he seen in someones driveway. We go ride and 2 hours later http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/bethrcno/sx2.jpg
is sitting in my driveway running....I know its not a "race trike" but after years of riding 185/200s this is like jumping in a caddy!!! from the looks of it it will need a few things like a complete front brake system, the right mud flaps, and the right tail light, but its nice.....he said he turned around in the driveway after going down the wrong street...I just cant get over this, tomorrow will be the longest day of work i will ever have, Dave:lol:

oh yeh..any ideas as to what year it is? the owner told me he thought it was an 86 250 sx..I know its the 250sx...shaft drive, reverse...just not sure of the year

Yamahauler
12-02-2005, 12:34 AM
Looks like an 85 to me with the red tank and all...unless they painted the white one.
That front end looks like its off a 200x or something.
Nice lookin bike though, and good price.

2XTREME
12-02-2005, 12:38 AM
Looks pretty dang clean.Good deal if ya ask me.Dave is that you sitting on it?
X:beer

Dave223
12-02-2005, 12:51 AM
yeh thats my ugly mug.....forgot about that....lemme guess, better heads on mugs of beer right???:lol:

just finished looking at pictures of diff 250s and man do I have a loooong way to go! Tomorrow I will get the serial #s and maybe someone can tell me what year......Dave

Yamahauler
12-02-2005, 01:04 AM
I noticed it has a blue seat.
I dont think 85's had blue seats...maybe it IS an 86.
Yea, if you get the VIN, the year and everything can be figured out.

2XTREME
12-02-2005, 01:05 AM
LOL! I think we all need to post pics without helmets on.So we can see who the hell we are all chatting with all the time.Good luck on the trike,and keep us posted with pics and stuff.
X

370banshee
12-02-2005, 01:09 AM
don't hondas have a year tag on the frame somewhere... i thought trikes had em on the head tube....

firefirefire90
12-02-2005, 01:27 AM
what is with those side fender flare things? Look like car floormats.

N5HNY
12-02-2005, 01:35 AM
Nice ride Dave......

Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Hey !!! The people wearing helments idea is great. Lets do it.

nouseforaname90
12-02-2005, 07:39 AM
I'd say its an '86 that someone changed the colors on. The rear fender looks stock, but because the front fender is Maier my guess is that the rear fender is Maier too, since it doesn't have any decals on it. Stock would atleast have remnants of decals. The tank is either aftermarket or painted, too. There is no way you could get the decals off of it without repainting it. So I think it is an '86 in the '85's clothing.
Either way.. nice find. SX's are a blast.. I love mine.

Rm250RF900R
12-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Nice score. For $500 you can't go wrong. Put another $500 into it and it would like real nice. Have fun with her.

Tri-ZNate
12-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Look at the steering neck for a tag ;) It'll tell ya everything ya want to know almost

yyz4208@aol.com
12-02-2005, 10:35 PM
sweet deal but your missing a lower engine mount

DIGGER DOG
12-03-2005, 03:50 PM
if there is no tag that has the year on it then look at the V.I.N. # on the neck. the 10th# or letter is the year. here is a partial list of years and a little explanation.
all bikes made after 1980 have a 27 digit # on the frame ATV #s are on the down tube the 10th # from the left and the 8th# from the right is a letter or # denoteing model year on 01 and up models the 10th digit is a # denoting model year.

A=1980
B=81
C=82
D=83
E=84
F=85
G=86
H=87

LaDano
12-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Nice find, but why didn't my phone ring 1st. LOL Now you can ride alot longer without a sore back and fatigue. Its hell getting old.

Dave223
12-03-2005, 08:22 PM
sorry i didnt reply back earlier, I was out riding it all day trying to burn the full tank of gas so I can pull it to fix the dents...This is what I found out so far:
The front tire and hub looks to be from a 200x, I have 2 others that match up to it, and all the pics Ive seen show drum brakes, right???

it has a small tool box on the rear grab bar, all the 86s I looked at has it as part of the fenders, so ..85 on that part.

Both fenders appear to be Maier and pretty decent , just scuff marks.I found out tonite on Maiers site that they are making the flares for the 250sx for 28.95....showed my wife what I wanted for x-mas!!! and yeh, I took off those butt-ugly flares that were on it....they were actually the plastic pads from a rear bumper on a full size pickup truck!

the headlight pod is red , 86s Ive seen are white, correct?

The seat has been recovered, and not very well! Im thinking of getting a new cover made, white flames into blue. With a white tank it would look good I think. Ive seen new foam for 250Rs that were thicker, anyone know of a site that I might find the same for this one?

the front rim is gold, with grey paintover it, the rear rims are aluminum(sp?), Im going to switch it out with a 200x rim I have so they all match.

after that its going to need upper neck bearings, no biggie, Im thinking about the conversions Ive seen. then its fix the tank, change the rear brake shoes or adjust em better, then find a new decal set to fix it up some.
Im leaning towards a white tank, the 86 decals look better to me, then sand the headlight pod that someone painted and paint it white. I cant beleive after riding the hardtails all these years, I was finally able to ride more than an hour without a break!!!!:lol:

who here has a site with the decals for purchase?
I will post the numbers tomorrow from the neck, and it had no year id tag on it, I looked. When I went to my In laws house to ride today, he had a 250 shaft drive engine sitting out behind the shed, so now Ive got a spare, hows that for luck!!!! Im still in awe over this whole deal, for YEARS Ive wanted a sport trike, but they are so rare down here, now here one sits on my trailer:w00t: Dave

LaDano
12-03-2005, 09:11 PM
I know where another one is here for $400, I'm sitting onit for now. When I get the 250es up and about we'll go for a ride. great find anyway

Dave223
12-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Dano,
we may be planning a ride for JAnuary at the spillway...but it will be mostly guys with training wheels..err I mean quads....heh, Im redoing a 185s for my wife as i sold her Kaw Bayou to get the 250sx. :lol:
I will let ya know when we get some sort of date figured out, Dave

LaDano
12-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Let me know, if the 250 isn't ready I still got 2 more for backups.