PDA

View Full Version : heres the beast..

drkilldrmz
12-01-2005, 05:00 PM
So.. Here is the starting point for this autox. I know the pics aren't great quality, but you should get the idea. You notice the rear brakes arent there, pull start, bent foot pegs,and the cracks in the front plastic..Ripped seat, rusty exhaust.. etc.. It's in pretty poor shape, but runs amazingly well. I'd swear it had a powerband if i didn't know better... So.. If anyone has any suggestions on where to start, im all ears...All i have done is changed the plug, and upp'ed the idle a bit. Tried to adjust what i thought was a clutch adjustment by the dipstick, but dont think anything happened. Slips a bit i think when i give her hell in 3'rd and up. Ill change the oil next. Thanks.. Would like to have it running in the next month or so if possible.. Did the pics come through ok?

edog
12-01-2005, 05:48 PM
Looks good.Auto X will be awsome.I have yet to see somebody realy do up one of those.I have a 1985 200X resto going on rite now.

Tri-ZNate
12-01-2005, 05:56 PM
I'd go in order like this. Get rid of the front rack :rolleyes:, Pull starter, brakes, Pegs, seat, Plastics, and exhaust. Not too bad of an X. Clean her up a little and get rid of the rack and she will look better.

Rm250RF900R
12-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Is it me or does the front tire seem to be a little off? Maybe its just me...

drkilldrmz
12-01-2005, 06:26 PM
I may get lynched for this, but i kinda like having some sort of rack on it to carry a cooler full of .. uh.. soda, and fishing gear. Is an electric start even an option for this? brakes are a given, and iv'e seen a plain black seat for only 20 bucks buy it now on e-bay. Hopefully i can sandblast the exhaust and paint it with some sort of engine paint. Black of course.... Not sure yet weather i want to nickel and dime it on all the pegs and things... Just so long as it goes good, stops good, Im ok. Need to paint the tank also.. Has a little rust on it... Then again, i may go balls to, and puff it out. I just want to make sure the motors decent first.. If it stadnds up to the beating it has coming this weekend, it may just earn my respect.. God knows it's fast enough. Edog.. If you see any parts during your restore i may want.. Could you let me know?

drkilldrmz
12-01-2005, 06:30 PM
front tire may be off a bit, but i havent noticed at 30 mph or so..Could be the pic, but now that im looking, I think ill double check before i get up to speed again..you may have saved me a few teeth...Thanks

ScottZJ
12-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Take this note to heart.........listen and listen good. Dont go worrying about looks on it just yet. You need to be 100% sure that this engine, tranny and rear end (bearing carrier) are in great working order. Those are the things you need to deal with first. Cuz putting some sexy fenders, seat and paint on something that doesnt run with crude or has issues running....is just going to be a glorified garge parker. Once you have acknowledge that its in perfect running health........then do whats next............peace

350x'inNY
12-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Is it me or does the front tire seem to be a little off? Maybe its just me...

Ummm.... slide the Left fork back down into the triple tree. There should be a line around the top of the forks, about a 1/8 or so belowe the fork cap. Looks like the left fork is about 4" too high, and the Right one looks about right. :welcome: Snug up those triple tree bolts while you are at it! I assume he didn't run it that way for a reason, but that the tree's loose and after a jump the Left fork slid up.

Bruce

thefox
12-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Ummm.... slide the Left fork back down into the triple tree. There should be a line around the top of the forks, about a 1/8 or so belowe the fork cap. Looks like the left fork is about 4" too high, and the Right one looks about right. :welcome: Snug up those triple tree bolts while you are at it! I assume he didn't run it that way for a reason, but that the tree's loose and after a jump the Left fork slid up.

Bruce

I am guessing it's not a 200x shock, maybe a 83 or 84 250R or something. If they were the same length the front wheel would be very crooked (I don't even think it would be possible to have them that off anyways). Although if the missmatched shock it slightly off that could be what is throughing off the front tire.

VABCH350X
12-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Wow, something is definitely amiss with those forks. Seems like the front wheel would be immobile if one had slipped to that position. Is it possible that there are two different forks on the bike, or that maybe they have different sized (or missing) springs? I would be sure to investigate that. Looks like a solid project, welcome to the site!

Cheers,
Paul

edog
12-01-2005, 10:06 PM
I may get lynched for this, but i kinda like having some sort of rack on it to carry a cooler full of .. uh.. soda, and fishing gear. Is an electric start even an option for this? brakes are a given, and iv'e seen a plain black seat for only 20 bucks buy it now on e-bay. Hopefully i can sandblast the exhaust and paint it with some sort of engine paint. Black of course.... Not sure yet weather i want to nickel and dime it on all the pegs and things... Just so long as it goes good, stops good, Im ok. Need to paint the tank also.. Has a little rust on it... Then again, i may go balls to, and puff it out. I just want to make sure the motors decent first.. If it stadnds up to the beating it has coming this weekend, it may just earn my respect.. God knows it's fast enough. Edog.. If you see any parts during your restore i may want.. Could you let me know?
Friday I am going to atv junk yard in Maine.This guy has a ton of 200X parts.Should be able to pick up all the little thing i need.:w00t:

Wickedfinger
12-02-2005, 12:44 AM
Is it me or does the front tire seem to be a little off? Maybe its just me...Thats because that left fork (right side of the picture) is wasted. Even Ray Charles could see that .... lol. I wouldn't ride that thing like that, Man.

350x'inNY
12-02-2005, 01:31 AM
I am guessing it's not a 200x shock, maybe a 83 or 84 250R or something. If they were the same length the front wheel would be very crooked (I don't even think it would be possible to have them that off anyways). Although if the missmatched shock it slightly off that could be what is throughing off the front tire.

R shocks have different diameter so probably not that scenario. The Right shock is just under more compression with the Left one slipped up high. The front axle is held "true" perpendicular to the shocks by the front axle being screwed through one and into the other fork. And yes, that Left ofrk does look a bit mangled and tweaked besides.

Bruce

thefox
12-02-2005, 09:31 AM
R shocks have different diameter so probably not that scenario. The Right shock is just under more compression with the Left one slipped up high. The front axle is held "true" perpendicular to the shocks by the front axle being screwed through one and into the other fork. And yes, that Left ofrk does look a bit mangled and tweaked besides.

Bruce

Your right, I didn't even notice how close the front fender is the the wheel:crazy: .

drkilldrmz
12-02-2005, 09:33 AM
I was going to ask about the forks, but forgot... So im guessing i could just loosen the bolts and see if it will push down, before i get into buying new shocks, or forks .. whatever they are.. Im good with a wrench, but not great at identifying problems to begin with... The forks appear to be the same, just one is riding higher than the other. They also have what appears to be an air/tire valve on top of each one. Do they make a seal kit for them?.. I need the ribber covers also...
EDOG.. where is the parts yard your going to? Ive been looking for something like that up here... Thanks

Rm250RF900R
12-02-2005, 10:27 AM
LOL I didnt even notice how the right fork is sticking out of the tree like that. I just saw the tire was a little crooked. Yeah I would fix that before your next ride :lol: .. BTW, welcome :welcome:

Dammit!
12-02-2005, 10:37 AM
There should be a line around the top of the forks, about a 1/8 or so belowe the fork cap.

Bruce

Don't think 200x forks have that line. You just line the top of them up even with the triples.

TeamGeek6
12-02-2005, 12:55 PM
So im guessing i could just loosen the bolts and see if it will push down,

Look at the bottom of the fork case, there might be a Allen screw thats missing and allowing the tube to jump up. Some Honda forks are held together with a screw down there. Maybe someone started to work on it and took it loose?

Find whats wrong with the clutch before riding it and putting either clutch or metal shavings in the engine. Plastic is just looks. ATVs always break down at the farthest point from the truck!!