PDA

View Full Version : 200ES Low Range Question!

pat080886
11-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Ok so, i have an 84 200es, i have the head and cylinder off of it because it needed gaskets and so forth, now here my question......i put the thing in first gear in high range and then i spin the part where the shaft attaches.....the motor turns as expected, so then i try it in reverse......as would be expected it turns the oppisite direction, now here the thing i wanna know.....i put it in LOW range and spin the shaft spline and nothign happens....its like it in neutral...now anyone have any idea what this might be.....i have the oil completly drained now if that means anything, and i had the cover off of the sub tanny and everythign seemed ok......someone please tell me whats going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dads
11-30-2005, 09:02 PM
All the lever does is more a gear. pull the cover and see if it is shifting all the way.
some time you have to move the gears and lever to get them to mesh.

pat080886
11-30-2005, 09:38 PM
i had the cover off to replace it since it had a crack in it, do you think it could have gotten out of wack when i took it off??

By the way.....it doesnt even soudn like its trying to engage....it just spins.......

Dads
11-30-2005, 10:07 PM
Have you seen a parts pic, or ever looked in a repair book at it?

pat080886
11-30-2005, 10:30 PM
yeah......i have a diagram of how the parts go together.......just dont understand why it engages fine in high or reverse and not at all in low??

Dads
12-01-2005, 08:04 AM
When you pulled the cover off did all the gears stay on the engine or in the cover or 50/50. just checking the gears can be put on backasswards and will not work.

bigredhead
12-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Pulling that cover off without having the gears fall out is virtually impossible !! lol..

Are you sure you have all the spacers and washers .. and in their proper place !!.. it's a mess in there..

pat080886
12-01-2005, 11:52 AM
last night i was looking at it and through process of elimination and using my diagram came to the conclusion that whoever had it apart before, put the top gear closest to the recoil starter in upside down, i changed that and it worked great....as for you guy saying its impossible to take the cover off without parts falling off....what i did was put the engine on its side and pull it off gently...nothing came off that way...may have just been luck...anyway
Thanks for the info!